Squawk of the day - Jan. 2, 2013

"Saw a welfare mother use her food stamp card for a $1.03 purchase and tell the cashier to add $20, and said cashier complied and gave welfare mother $20 cash. Welfare grandmother was there holding the welfare baby. Is this not double illegal?"

Comments

ustaknow 1 year, 3 months ago

The history of welfare in the U.S. started long before the government welfare programs we know were created. In the early days of the United States, the colonies imported the British Poor Laws. These laws made a distinction between those who were unable to work due to their age or physical health and those who were able-bodied but unemployed. The former group was assisted with cash or alternative forms of help from the government. The latter group was given public service employment in workhouses.

Jimboob 1 year, 3 months ago

What you witnessed was fraud and was a crime. As a good and caring citizen you should have gotten the names of the people involved and reported them. Of course we all know what would have happened then...

whattheheck 1 year, 3 months ago

There are no "checks" on making the system work right when the store employees are as complicit as the one with the card starting the illegal process. Many of those doing such don't see a crime since it is against "the man" rather than a person. No harm in what was done in their mind, "See yo in church Sunday, girl friend!". .

rightasrain 1 year, 3 months ago

Maybe she was getting cash to put in the coffers Sunday at her church to support the racist movement in Albany.

dickyboy 1 year, 3 months ago

Years ago food stamp recipients went to a warehouse and picked up bags of groceries with staple items for a month... that was the best way..had to have ID and a letter from welfare to get your groceries

waltspecht 1 year, 3 months ago

The card opened a whole new source of income for the Grocery / Convienance Store. I have been told that if the store doesn't assist in the fraud, the recipient will shop elsewhere. Now for what you saw to have worked, the Clerk would have had to ring up $20 in allowed items, and returned them to the shelves. A common practice in some stores. I have seen gas paid for by ringing up several items kept right at the counter. Now if we can see this happening, why can't the DEFCS's investigators. By the way, trying to get the names, will get you throughly cussed out in the least. Record the time, register number and the Clerks name. Then turn it over to DEFCS to ignore. There are some stores that do enforce the rules, as they can lose the right to accept the cards if caught. Many of these stores are turned in by the card holder when there is a falling out between the parties. The store goes to judgement, and the other half of the deal finds themselves a more cooperative store.

RedEric 1 year, 3 months ago

If you have the right class of EBT card, cash assistance or something, you can use it as a debit card. You can buy shoes with it. Look at the debit/ credit card monitor in stores. Some will have the choices debit, credit, EBT. Getting cash off of your EBT card is NOT illegal. It is completely out of hand welfare. Obama is going to reduce spending due to the agreement for 2013. He is going to reduce social security and Medicare both of which are prepaid. There is not even a whisper of changing welfare. No fraud reduction, nothing. Do they think this is not going to create animosity? Or is their goal to ruin a great country?

JBruce 1 year, 3 months ago

I work at a large auto parts store. I had a lady buying brake pads hand me her E B T card for payment. After informing her the card was for food purchases only she told me it was a cash loaded card and to "try it anyway." I did, it was rejected and she had to pay for her auto parts with cash. So for all you womb to the tomb welfare recipients, don't bring your E B T cards to the auto parts stores. It is one of the few places that cannot accept it...for now!

Dino58 1 year, 3 months ago

What's the name of your store. I'll be sure to pass the word to all.

agirl_25 1 year, 3 months ago

So let me ask you this JBruce......there is an EBT card for food and a cash loaded card for other purchases that people can come into your auto parts store and use? I don't understand much about the welfare system. I know the names have changed. When I used to work in the home health care system people had medicaid cards and we called them green cards and gold cards and the one with gold cards hit the welfare jackpot. The had seperate food stamp booklets and checks and nowdays I understand they have credit card type things they use but apparently are seperate.

JBruce 1 year, 3 months ago

agirl_25 Read closely, the card was rejected for the brake parts or anything else in an auto parts store. You cannot use E B T cards to buy auto parts. If I understand it correctly if you are a retailer your total sales have to be a certain percentage of grocery items in order to accept E B T cards.

agirl_25 1 year, 3 months ago

Yes, what I am asking is, do welfare recipients get 2 cards, one cash loaded for cash to do whatever they want with, to buy personal products, etc, and one called an EBT, to buy food with? What if a person needs some towels and washcloths, what do they buy them with?

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 3 months ago

People can also use those cards to purchase alcohol "so they don't feel like second class citizens". Hells bells, I AM a second class citizen because I make too much for welfare and not enough to be considered middle class! I do not want to go to work this morning but some bastard child of a welfare mother and gangbanging father might have to go to school in a used car with a second hand bookbag . Don't want that on my conscience. Time to get dressed to go to work!

waltspecht 1 year, 3 months ago

I think the ones you are referring to were the Recovery Cards to help people after the floods. Those are the ones that go used in the Liquor Store and wrote up in the Paper.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 3 months ago

no...it is LEGAL for a person to walk into a liquor store with a welfare EBT card and purchase liquor.

tocar 1 year, 3 months ago

These welfare females who keep having illegitimate children for the benefits should have to go to work and not receive any benefits. Maybe their mentality of the responsibility in raising a child would change. Welfare assistance should be reserved for the disabled, those with chronic medical conditions and senior adults who need assistance. These males that father all of these children should be required to go to work and pay child support. Males who have 10 children by 10 different women are the epitomy of stupidity.

Jimboob 1 year, 3 months ago

f yu see a crime, port it. If youbliee itwas a crime togive cash to an EBT cardholder you should see the store manager. Either they will correct you or take action on the cashier. If you "let it go" then we all pay.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

My New Years Resolution is to have my S&W .357 with me at all times and to speak up when I see wrongdoing. It's a winning combo. I'm packing and willing to pull it and use it in self defense when necessary. Happy New Year!

Dino58 1 year, 3 months ago

Just what we need, another idiot with a gun!

Sally_O 1 year, 3 months ago

Just what we need, an idiot calling another person an idiot.

chinaberry25 1 year, 3 months ago

A lot of this could be stopped in going after baby daddy. My son lives next door to a person who is white and bilking the system for all she can. She smokes, live in smokes and she owns an expensive $1200 each washer and dryer. No conscience in using society. And she has raised 3 monkeys who will be just like her.

RedEric 1 year, 3 months ago

The ONLY thing I like about the north is that you can point out the fraudulent thieving SOBs on welfare and not get accused of being a racist. All those young people on welfare resort to breaking the law, manufacturing drugs and making babies for entertainment. They are a waste of oxygen.

scooby62 1 year, 3 months ago

In the 1950's, if you got Food Stamps you had to go Downtown and pay for them. You paid a discount,but they weren't free.

whattheheck 1 year, 3 months ago

We ain't in Kansas anymore, Toto! lol

WJReady 1 year, 3 months ago

You need to follow them out and see the new expensive cars, suv's and trucks they can afford when the food is free... Absolutely amazing how the system does not work. I cannot afford a new expensive vehicle because I buy my groceries with my own hard earned money... Went to get a Obama phone and the lady said I do not qualify. I asked why, she said go look in the mirror... Pretty dang obvious at that point...