Darrisaw, Riggins sworn into office

From left, Judge Victoria Darrisaw and Velvet Riggins

From left, Judge Victoria Darrisaw and Velvet Riggins

ALBANY, Ga. -- Incoming Dougherty State Court Judge Victoria Darrisaw and Dougherty School Board member Velvet Riggins were sworn into office Friday by Probate Court Judge Nancy Stephenson.

"Judges are often treated like Rodney Dangerfield -- they get no respect," Dougherty Superior Court Chief Judge Willie Lockett said in remarks prior to the swearing in. "So if the office holds very little prestige, popularity and little income, what is the attraction? A passion for justice for all people. Victoria Darrisaw has this."

Darrisaw, who is replacing outgoing State Court Judge John Salter, thanked many people after being sworn in.

"I'd like to thank God, my husband (George) and my children (George III and Helen), and I am pleased that my mother is here, she has been my rock," Darrisaw said after being sworn in. "I am humbled by the confidence shown in me by the people of Dougherty County. I am eager to embark on this new journey."

Darrisaw served as a county magistrate for three years, and prior to that as assistant district attorney in both the Dougherty Judicial Circuit and the South Georgia Judicial Circuit. Her early experience includes serving as law clerk for Judge W. Louis Sands and Judge Tommy Day Wilcox.

Hours later, Velvet Riggins was sworn into a second term as a Dougherty County School Board member.

"It's been a long journey to get here," Riggins said after her ceremony. "During my journey it was a time for me to grow. I'd like to thank all of the people who stood behind me and supported me throughout the entire ordeal.

Early last year, Riggins was indicted on school lunch fraud charges and was subsequently suspended from office by Gov. Nathan Deal. In November, a Dougherty jury acquitted her on all counts.

During her suspension she was re-elected to her District 3 seat after running unopposed.

"It's time to move on now," she said. "We have serious issues facing our school system and I am looking forward to starting something new."

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

Ma'Damn Riggins should be in jail.

FryarTuk 1 year, 3 months ago

Velveeta, remember that you are there to serve the children not yourself.

RedEric 1 year, 3 months ago

Velveeta is back in the hierarchy. Whoo hoo let the games begin.....again!!!

agirl_25 1 year, 3 months ago

Does Mr. Lockett ever take into consideration that judges get no respect because of cases like Velveeta's? Do you honestly think that people saw that as justice? I seriously doubt it. The facts were as clear as the nose on your face, unless all judges have a problem with depth perception and don't know how far someone's nose must be up another's rear end to count as brown nosing. Velveeta said it was a long journey and it was a time for her to grow......grow what? An honest bone in her body? If she isn't careful she is going to need a Grab_It to hold a tissue when she wants to wipe her nose, it is going to grow like Pinocchio's....remember how it grew when he lied...tsk tsk tsk. She wants to start something new, huh? Be afraid, be very afriad......oh and PS...watch her nose......

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

I like using the aka street name for Ma'Damn Riggins as "Velveeta". It reminds me of her cheesy-easy-money philosophy. Has she filed her discrimination suit against the Girl Scouts yet?

wino3800 1 year, 3 months ago

This is really incredible. Riggins obviously lied on her application and was given a pass by her peers. How do these people condone a thief holding a position of power? She should be in jail. How does Governer Deal ignore this situation? The people are idiots.

agirl_25 1 year, 3 months ago

All those who agree with wino3800 raise your hand..........

Do I see me in the corner with my hand raised.....yes, I think I do..........!!!