Food Bank feeds South Georgia Hungry

Jim Case

Jim Case

ALBANY, Ga. -- Albany generated 4 million pounds of food for the year for Second Harvest of South Georgia, Jim Case, director of Second Harvest's Albany branch told members of the Kiwanis Club of Dougherty County on Monday.

During the club's lunch meeting at the Hilton Garden Inn, Case provided an overview of the food bank, which maintains a warehouse at 3011 Clark Avenue.

According to Case, Second Harvest of South Georgia provides around 15 million pounds of food annually for more than 500 separate distribution agencies in a 30-county area.

"My job is to advocate for those agencies and to find resources," Case said. "The 10 counties served from here include Terrell, Early, Randolph, Calhoun and Baker. Those counties have no industry and counties like Dougherty and Tift are huge providers for them."

According to Case, much of the needed food contributions come from stores such as Sam's, Walmart, Publix and Target, all of which do "a great job" of providing for the food bank. In addition, Second Harvest is the area's largest U.S. Department of Agriculture provider.

"With the USDA comes guidelines," Case said. "Were affiliated with Feeding America and United Way as well. Both of them have guidelines. We're one of the few agencies anywhere that have internal audits. We open ourselves up to a lot of areas people are not aware of. We're proud to serve the community as a whole."

Case lost his left leg to a staph infection in 2009, he said, and after that his job with a major coffee company. The hard times that followed served to make him more attentive to the plight of those less fortunate.

"When I lost my job and was out of work for 27 months, I realized where I might be if I hadn't had good insurance, a good church family and a good personal family," Case said. "Not everybody has those catch-alls. Not everybody has those opportunities."

Case said Second Harvest stocks disaster supplies as well as food, and recently shipped around 200,000 pounds of products -- including bleach, MRE's, blankets and water -- to victims of Super Storm Sandy in the Northeast.

Among projects for the future, the long-planned Kid's Cafe is scheduled for readiness in late January, Case said, and will begin serving 1,035 children in Albany, Camilla, Pelham, Americus and Plains a hot meal with milk each day after school.

"Sometimes that's the only meal they receive after they get home," Case said.

In addition, a project with the service group Citizens of Georgia Power is set to fill 2,400 22-pound food boxes for distribution to the hungry. According to Case, each box will feed a family of four for a week.

At the conclusion of his presentation, Case was given a $500 donation from the Kiwanis fund for the Second Harvest campaign against hunger in Southwest Georgia.

Comments

dingleberry 1 year, 11 months ago

As with the copious quantity of subsidized housing, a cornucopia of free food stuffs may be part of the reason for rising poverty in the area--draws folks like a magnet. Come one come all, we have what you want. And as with the field of dreams, they are coming! Don't expect Albany to improve its status, the future is what you now see.

FryarTuk 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree. There is so much double dipping. Food stamps and welfare payments are provided and then comes free breakfast and lunch at school now this guy wants to feed them supper. No wonder there is so much fraud in the system. We are incubating the irresponsible behavior of clearly one fourth of our population nationally and 50% locally. Free food is a disincentive to provide for one's family. We are a mendicant's haven and an outlaw's refuge.

ALB65 1 year, 11 months ago

JOHN Chapter 6 10-11

VERSE 10 - "Jesus said, "Have the people sit down." Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, about five thousand in number."

So this mountain had grass, which had to make a better seat than the rocks that are typical for that area.

John says there were about five thousand men, but the Greek term used here is gender specific, meaning that only the men were usually numbered, so the whole crowd, including men, women and children, could have been four times that number. To put this in context: This crowd was nearly as large as was the capacity of the largest theaters in the major cities of that time, (such as Ephesus). The seating capacity of the Roman coliseum was between 50,000-70,000, probably the largest in the world. So, that's a lot of hungry people isn't it?

But verse 11 says: VERSE 11 - "Jesus then took the loaves, and when he had given thanks he distributed them to those who were seated; also the fish, and as much as they wanted."

No I.D. No Verification of income nor Discrimination....Fed them as much as they wanted and gather the rest to use again..hmmmmm

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

Jesus told His disciples "The poor you will always have with you..." and "When you go, be as shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves..."" Also "Do not throw your pearls before swine......"

Hmmmmmm I don't think He was telling them to be idiots or to create dependency wherever they went.........nor to help people make their BMW payments on the backs of those who work.

FryarTuk 1 year, 11 months ago

What's your point? Jesus didn't send them away with food stamps or commodity tokens and free meal vouchers duplicating other handouts. It was a good marketing tool. Come over here, sit on the ground, listen to my spiel and I'll give you some fish. Our company does it 3 times a year for the customers. I expect something, purchase my product. Jesus expects something - buy my product and get off your asses and make something out of yourselves. Food stampers and free fooders expect only for the mendicants to return. Which the mendicants also expect. Guess what? It's a perpetuated cycle and it will be until an expectation (or a social contract) is built in. At one point the mendicants' ability to emancipate and develop will atrophy.

chinaberry25 1 year, 11 months ago

Jesus was feeding them for one time as churches do when sermons are all day long, as this one was. The Bible also tells you to go out and provide for your family, not to have sex outside of marriage and have 6 babies by 6 daddies. The Bible does not condone being poor all your lives. No where doe sit state we have to feed and cloth you from time of conception.

MRKIA 1 year, 11 months ago

I HAVE YET TO LAY EYES ON ONE EMANCIATED, UNDERFED OR STARVING PERSON WITHIN 500 MILES OF ALBANY. BUT WE ARE OVERRUN WITH OVERWEIGHT POOR FOLK STANDING IN FREE FOOD LINES WITH ROLLS OF FAT SO BIG, A PIG WOULD BE JEALOUS AND BOOTY'S SO HUGE THAT THEY NEED TRAINING WHEELS. WHAT DO WE GIVE EM'? MORE FOOD!!! YEP, MAKES SENSE TO ME. NOT.

Tonto 1 year, 11 months ago

Ya know, it isn't hurting a damn thing to feed the homeless, or the indigent, or the too poor for 3 meals a day for the family or the just downright greedy. The food is available, donated, prepared by caring hands. The cynical, embarrassed, desperate and destitute are welcomed in various venues across the city. They sit alone with the food they have thanked you for (and yes, they almost always do) and light up when you stop to talk, share a moment and touch a shoulder. Most of them could not qualify for a job if there were any to be had because of poor health, no education, lack of transportation or even appropriate attire to wear. God will sort out those who took advantage; judgement is not our job.

If you haven't seen the truly frail, needy, cold and hungry folks we do have walking Albany streets, you are just not looking...they are invisible to you as you look for the fat, greedy folks you need to justify your point.

FryarTuk 1 year, 11 months ago

Tonto: " . . .it isn't hurting a damn thing to feed the homeless, or the indigent, or the too poor for 3 meals a day for the family or the just downright greedy." You are 100% wrong and you are 100% incorrect. Wrong because it is immoral and incorrect because it is a mistake to foster and promote the dependence of a person on another person, group or society. It destroys an individual's self esteem and character by not eliciting responsive and responsible rational ego growth. It infantalizes them and procscribes their natural growth processes. The characterological individuation is utterly decimated overtime so that decision making, achievement and task focus are completely and irremedially impaired in the human mind and spirit. When this is generalized to a larger section of the population an entire class is created and they are as the walking dead insofar as reasonable and responsible values and society are concerned. They become meaningless in a culture ever more requiring meaningful participation to survive or succeed.

It is not I who judge them, it is you who judge and condemn them to a treadmill of poverty and mere existence. You are pedaling a brand of altruistic humanism that has little place in current or future history. It's feel good snake oil and nothing more. You are foolish Tonto and need get off the reservation more often.

dingleberry 1 year, 11 months ago

"The food is available, donated" including federal support from the taxpayers. It is this forced "charity" through the government that many object to since most of us have seen abuses in the community and read about even more in the news as we work and struggle to pay taxes supporting others. Not just some food, it is nice housing and everything else deemed necessary to make their life "better". We have raised several generations of people who are "takers" and don't have any intention of becoming educated, productive citizens. It hurts me deeply to feed the "greedy" who have become such a large part of what the government defines as the "needy" as it panders for votes and power..

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

I look at it this way. They prepared the food....somebody has to eat it, otherwise it goes to waste, Otherwise they would have to screen everyone to see if they are in dire need or just looking for a free meal.

If they are there looking as MR KIA describes them, then maybe they don't need to be there.

MRKIA 1 year, 11 months ago

YOU SAID A MOUTHFUL. THANKS

dingleberry 1 year, 11 months ago

What prepared food are you talking about? Second Harvest is a food bank providing take home bulk food not meals on wheels like the COA, at least until the Kids Cafe kicks in in late Jan in Albany.

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

Tonto says...."Most of them could not qualify for a job if there were any to be had because of poor health, no education, lack of transportation or even appropriate attire to wear. God will sort out those who took advantage; judgement is not our job."

Ironic that you would say that today. Just last night I went to Jimmie's hot dogs to get some hot dogs and there was a skinny middle aged black man who looked like he was lucky to have one meal a day. He approached me for any loose change that I could spare. Maybe he was playing me, but I used my own judgement in thinking he really was poor, I could look at him and pretty much tell nobody would hire him or he would physically be unable to work and seriously doubt he had an education or transportation. I don't carry much cash with me, but I gave him the last two dollars I had on me. Whether he was playing me or not, it looked to me like he could use the money, I felt good about myself in helping out someone who is less fortunate than me.

FryarTuk 1 year, 11 months ago

Are you really that dumb? Why in the hell didn't you take him into Jimmies and buy him a hot dog if you wanted to do something nice. Hell, get him to shine your shoes for $2 cash. You bleeding hearts, you'll be the demise of the republic.

MRKIA 1 year, 11 months ago

I HAVE NO PROBLEM HELPING AND FEEDING THE NEEDY, THE INFIRM OR THE CHILDREN. IT'S THE GREEDY AND THE SORRY I TAKE ISSUE WITH. IT IS ALSO TRUE THAT I HAVE YET TO SEE AN EMANCIATED, MALNOURISHED, TRULY STARVED PERSON IN ANY PART OF THIS COUNTRY. THERE ARE THOSE WHO HAVE AN ELEVATED OPINION OF THEMSELVES THAT WOULD TAKE MY COMMENTS AS A RANT AGAINST THE NEEDY WHEN NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH. AROUND CHRISTMAS THERE WAS AN ARTICLE IN THE A.H. ABOUT A HOMELESS MAN LIVING IN A LEAN-TO OFF BYRON RD. I HAPPENED TO "SEE" HIM AS I TRAVELED PAST. I STOPPED, BACKED UP AND CALLED HIM OVER. I WISHED HIM A SAFE AND MERRY CHRISTMAS AND PUT A FEW DOLLARS IN HIS HAND SO HE WOULD HAVE MEANS TO EAT. THE NEEDY AND GREEDY ARE WITH US BUT THE GREEDY ARE MORE VISIBLE. I SAW, I GAVE. THAT'S THE POINT.

FryarTuk 1 year, 11 months ago

Clap, clap, clap, clap. You did nothing but make yourself feel better at his expense.

MRKIA 1 year, 11 months ago