Georgia QB Murray to return for senior season

Georgia QB Aaron Murray set a school record with 3,898 yards passing this season.

ATLANTA — Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray said Sunday night he is returning for his senior season.

Murray announced on his Twitter account he won't leave early to enter the NFL draft.

"Blessed to be the QB for the Dawgs, not ready to leave just yet. Time to get back to work & help lead this team to a championship," Murray said.

Murray, a fourth-year junior, already has graduated. He led Georgia to a 12-2 finish that included a loss to Alabama in the Southeastern Conference championship game and a victory over Nebraska in the Capital One Bowl. Murray threw five touchdown passes in the bowl game.

Murray is the first quarterback in SEC history to pass for 3,000 yards in three straight seasons. He had 3,898 yards passing this season to set a Georgia record, topping Eric Zeier's mark of 3,525 in 1993. Murray threw 36 touchdowns passes and only 10 interceptions and leads the nation with a 174.8 passer rating.

Another top Georgia junior, linebacker Jarvis Jones, has announced he is entering the NFL draft. While Jones is projected to be a high first-round pick, the forecast for Murray was not as clear. Murray likely would have expected to be selected no higher than the second round.

Georgia issued no immediate statement on Murray's decision.

Coach Mark Richt said recently he would support Murray and other juniors no matter their decisions on the draft.

"If these guys choose to stay, I'm thrilled obviously, but if they choose to go I'm their No. 1 fan ether way because I just want what's best for them," Richt said. "I can't say what's best for them. They have to figure out for themselves. They're grown men now."

Murray's decision means Georgia's offense will return almost all of its top starters from a unit that averaged a school-record 37.8 points.

Georgia loses senior receivers Tavarres King and Marlon Brown but will return receiver Malcolm Mitchell, tailbacks Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall and all five starting offensive linemen.

GURLEY HONORED:

ATHENS — Georgia true freshman tailback Todd Gurley has been named to the Football Writers Association of America Freshman All-America Team.

Gurley, a 6-1, 218-pound native of Tarboro, N.C., became the 12th Bulldog to rush for 1,000 yards in a season and the first since Knowshon Moreno in 2008. Gurley went for 1,385 yards, which ranks sixth in school history for a single season, and 17 touchdowns (a UGA freshman record) on 222 carries.

Only Gurley and Bulldog legend Herschel Walker have tallied 1,000-yard seasons in their true freshman seasons. Gurley finished 2012 with nine games where he went for at least 100 yards rushing, which ranks third in school history for a season.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

I hope so........he's got a lot to learn. Like how not to run off the field when you get your butt whupped and refuse to congratulate the winning team which is still called good sportsmanship.

FryarTuk 1 year, 6 months ago

You don't know what you're talking about.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

I know what I saw with my good eye after the SEC championshipt game.

FryarTuk 1 year, 6 months ago

What you are saying is not true. You were watching some other game or past your med time. There wasn't a shred of confetti thrown. I was sitting on the Lower Level Section 133, Aisle L44, Row 17, Seat 16. Right above the Dawgs port. Murray had been wrongly booed by some trogs that didn't understand the plays. He was upset. Murray had signaled to Bobo several times about stopping the clock and was ignored. The final play of the game was a pass that was deflected and mistakenly caught by WR Chris Conley. Murray correctly believed Conley should not have caught the ball which added to his agitation. The ignorant fans thought Murray should have spiked the ball and they booed. Rather than react on the field he left. Of course, he did not have your demeanor of professionalism and forbearance but he was not in search of his mommie. I'll stop my narrative here so as not to insult you. I will say that he is a 22 year old young man who has completed a masters degree and has decided to return to UGA for another year in futherance of goals for the UGA team. You decide on your further babble, I won't let it rest you can damned well be assured of that.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

Yes, we are in full agreement. He trotted down the tunnel and left the field prior to the traditional act of true sportsmanship which is to shake hands with your competitor who just won the contest. You sound like Murray's Dad. Are you Murray's dad? Why do you defend poor sportsmanship and try to lay blame on everybody on the field except the "Captain QB"? You and I are in violent agreement about what happened...maybe not about why or how it happened. But Murray did not earn any respect from me about leaving the field and nothing you can construe about what you think was going on will change that. I saw what I saw and it was a disgrace in the annals of football sportsmanship.

Murray acted like a whiney baby who needed his Mommie, pure and simple.

P.S. And I also don't like the way Murray turns and whines and cries to the Refs every time the opposing defense touches him, like "Oh he touched my face mask" or "Oh he horse collared me" or "Oh he punched me in the crotch in the scrum".........he's obviously a whiney baby and I wonder what Pro team will be desparate enough to select him after next year. Simply put: Murray is a Royal Wuss. You'll see.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

And I don't care where your seat was......unless you had a Bulldog Headset on or have the Gift of Mind Reading, you don't have any firetrucking idea what people were calling or saying or thinking in the GA booth, on the field , or on the sidelines and you are just making crap up out of your ever loving mind.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

I hope Murray's Mommie hangs around for another year. She's the only one who will give him any sympathy for his shortcomings.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

He knows he needs to beat a ranked team during his college days. Maybe he'll do it next year. Hopefully Richt will schedule a ranked team next year when he has an open date.

The_Dude 1 year, 6 months ago

No. 10 in the country, Florida, says hello. Also, Vandy and Nebraska are ranked. Wrong again.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm talking about top 10, dumbass!! After that it's just other teams who played football and who gives a crap!?!?

"Georgia has now lost back-to-back SEC championship games to LSU and Alabama. Georgia also lost to Michigan State in overtime in the Capital One bowl last season. "

P.S. Florida was Murray's only Top 10 Ranked Win in 2 years and it was pretty slim. He's gotta do better, right? See y'all next year.