Squawk of the Day - Jan. 8, 2013

"I attended a movie Saturday evening at Carmike Cinema. it was an enjoyable evening with the exception of a woman sitting nearby who felt compelled to pull her cell phone out about three times to check her messages to respond to them. Rude and the glare from the phone was distracting."

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

Ask her to put it up. Simple! Be agressive......and be packing just in case. That's my 2013 New Year Resolution. Speak up and Back up with Pack up!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

............and the higher the calibre the better!!

truth_be_told 1 year, 3 months ago

Why so much aggression? Violence is never the answer, if it causes you so much grief why not avoid the situation. You never know what someone else is capable of or thinking.... You only know your limits and for some there are NO LIMITS!!!

dickyboy 1 year, 3 months ago

Own my own business ..will not wait on my customer if on a cell phone....

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

Well every Black female that walks in will not get waited on in your place of business.

Parent 1 year, 3 months ago

Just so you know, Every Black female don't walk into a place of business on a cellphone!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

Them that don't do not go to the same places I go, then.

VSU 1 year, 3 months ago

I normally don't like to disagree with dear Sister Ruby, but in all fairness, I see white people on the phone in businesses and they are just as annoying. I agree that it is rude to be on the phone when someone is trying to wait on you, and these are the same people that complain about poor customer service and can't get waited on.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

Sure you see people of all races. It's just one particular race that is ALWAYS TALKING TO SOMEBODY on that cell phone.

Bumpyjohnson 1 year, 3 months ago

Sis Ruby, your bitter Obama hating old ass ain't packing nothing but some Depends.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

I did not mention 'ya'Boi Obama. YOU DID. He dint go to tha Movie!

VSU 1 year, 3 months ago

But he probably provided that person with their cell phone.

stc1993 1 year, 3 months ago

Obama didn't, we all did every time we pay our bill.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

Really? Just because I told the TRUTH?? Wow..........

Was it the phrase "turd flagration"? Because that's not really very bad.....

FryarTuk 1 year, 3 months ago

And that was her best comment yet! Boo! Hiss! LOL

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks FT..........I was pretty proud of it. Maybe that's what I get for being prideful.......

Hoodie 1 year, 3 months ago

My phone I'll use it when I want

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

You won't use it near me in the movie without me saying something to you.

Parent 1 year, 3 months ago

You are going to get whatever it is your asking for. And you are not the only one around here "packing" legally honey!

Hoodie 1 year, 3 months ago

Lol I could only dream for someone to utter a peep to me about my phone/my business I'd shut them up within seconds and have them tail tucked and turning red

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

You talk on your phone or flash it in the row in front of me at the movies and we will be having words, Hoodie. You wear your name pretty proud, do you punk?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

I'll pull that hoodie off your nappy head and shove it up your coal chute and then we can talk about what a badass you are.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

All I'm asking for is for you to be courteous enough to me and the other moviegoers and not use your cell phone during the movie (and don't talk to your friends sitting nearby during the movie either....I'll call that out too).

VSU 1 year, 3 months ago

Sounds like a modern day remake of the old western "High Noon" Sister and Parent in a showdown at High Noon.

chinaberry25 1 year, 3 months ago

bumpyjohnson, what Johnson are you speaking of? The one that Depends covers or your dumb head. The one who voted several times for that loser. That is the only way he got to be president. All that voter fraud was what got him re elected for nobody would be that stupid to vote again for him.

fcarroll 1 year, 3 months ago

I agree with the squawker, cell phones are every where. You can't have a decient conversation in person any more, phone goes off, sorry, got to take this. No more hello's are heard, we now read and text. They are in church, where you work, shopping driving etc. What ever did we do before the advent of cell phones?

VSU 1 year, 3 months ago

"What ever did we do before the advent of cell phones?" Lived a normal peaceful uninterupted life, phoneless dinners, phoneless movies and waited till we got home to receive those unimportant phone calls.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

Yep......actually spent time with the people we were actually sitting with! What a concept!!

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 3 months ago

Well, we did have some degree of manners and common sense when we were in public...

jglass 1 year, 3 months ago

Sister, you crack me up!!! I agree cell phones, or what ever kind of phone you use has taken over. I use mine in public,but when I get to a register in a store, etc. I get off of it because if I were the cashier I would not appreicate waiting on someone who has no interest in anything but the phone attached to their ear. I agree with you dickyboy

Parent 1 year, 3 months ago

I agree! When I'm conducting business, I get off the cellphone too. I see alot of people on their cellphones when they are at the register, drive-thru, or whatever. The "Sister" is a little simple minded by saying all black females walk in on their cellphones. I see all races doing the same thing.

FryarTuk 1 year, 3 months ago

Reporting to theatre manager is best policy. It wouldn't be appropriate to attempt to resolve a situation by creating another. Not smart. Obviously the offender doesn't have any judgement why would you expect them to use reason when they are demonstrating they have none. If it's disruptive, report it to the manager he or she will know how to handle it. I agree it is annoying.

stc1993 1 year, 3 months ago

Do they still have ushers in the theaters? They use to handle things like that.

TrixibelleBento 1 year, 3 months ago

I totally agree with the Squawker here. This is why I don't attend movies anymore. I like watching videos at home where I don't have to be subjected to rude inconsiderate people. If you cannot turn your phone off for 2 hours, then the movies is not your largest priority. Be courteous of others and stay out of a dark theatre where people have just spent $35 for a movie, popcorn and Coke.

agirl_25 1 year, 3 months ago

GASP!!!!!! $35.00 for a movie, popcorn and a Coke.....for more than 1 person I hope!!!!!!!! It has been a while since I went to a movie. I am a Netflix person.

agirl_25 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't like gum popping either, and have asked people sitting behind me or beside me to please stop popping gum....once in college I asked a young lady to please stop popping her gum and she did...I asked her nicely. Once recently in a crowded doctor's office a lady took out her cell phone and called her friend to tell her what she had been doing all morning (as if we cared) in clear violation of the sign that stated CELL PHONE USE PROHIBITED IN WAITING ROOM, so I of course hobbled over and stood in front of all 300+ pounds of her while I cleared my throat a few times and she ignored me and finally looked up at me with a go-to-hell look on her face and I pointed to the sign and asked if she could read. I think she was mad but knew not to hit a disabled person in a roomful of people that included huge men, who grinned when I asked if she could read. Of course I once again embarrassed my husband, but it happens a lot.

FryarTuk 1 year, 3 months ago

agirl has class, inimitable class!

truth_be_told 1 year, 3 months ago

I was actually at the movies Saturday watching Django. I was sitting above a lady whom I heard rudely tell another lady to put away her phone or she would have her kicked out. I only saw the light from the phone briefly once and it was at the end of the movie. The disturbance was created by the one who felt the need to attempt to chastise an adult. I applaud the lady with the phone for her reaction because it was obvious our squawker was attempting to provoke an incident. As stated previously allow the attendants to do their job. I even hear the guy with her ask her “why did you do that”.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

Bad choice of a movie. You get what you pay for.