As of Tuesday, January 8, 2013
© Copyright 2015
ALBANY, Ga. -- The city of Albany needs a few good men ... and women.
City officials will name appointees to various boards and authorities at the Albany City Commission’s Jan. 22 business session, and many of the openings have not drawn adequate interest of citizens needed to fill them.
“Frankly, I’m surprised that some of these positions haven’t gotten the needed number of candidates,” Ward V Commissioner Bob Langstaff said during Tuesday’s commission work meeting. “These are positions that can have an impact on the city.”
Among the openings for which the city has not received the appropriate number of resumes are:
- Three appointments for two-year terms to the Albany-Dougherty Inner City Authority;
- One appointment to the Barrier Free Design Board to fill an unexpired term ending in March 2014;
- Two appointments for three-year terms to Keep Albany-Dougherty Beautiful;
- Two appointments to the Joint Board of Adjustments and Appeals;
- Five positions for qualified applicants on the Joint Electrical Board for one-year terms;
- Two qualified positions on the Joint Plumbing Board for one-year terms.
City Clerk Sonja Tolbert said that while the appropriate number of resumes has been received for several other city boards and authorities, interested citizens have until Jan. 15 to send letters and a resume to be considered for any appointment.
Other positions for which appointments will be made Jan. 22 are:
- One appointment to the Albany-Dougherty Economic Development Commission for a two-year term;
- One appointment for a three-year term on the Albany-Dougherty Payroll Development Authority;
- Two appointments to the Planning Commission for three-year terms;
- Two appointments to the Southwest Georgia Regional Commission for one-year terms;
- Two appointments to the Water, Gas and Light Commission for two-year terms;
- Three qualified appointments to the Gas Board for one-year terms;
- Four qualified appointments to the Heating and Air Conditioning Board.
Interested persons may send letters and resumes to Tolbert at P.O. Box 447, Albany 31702 or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. They may also be faxed to (229) 878-3198. Responsibilities for the various board openings may be viewed on the city's website www.albany.ga.us.