Rawson Circle residents fight personal care home

This residential property at 910 N. Davis St. in Albany is being proposed as a personal care home.

ALBANY, Ga. -- A large contingent of residents in the historic Rawson Circle neighborhood asked the Albany City Commission Tuesday to not allow a personal care home to be located in their neighborhood, saying such facilities will, among other grievances, devalue their homes.

Anne Mitchell was among the neighbors who made passionate pleas against a request by Bailey Health Care CEO Randy Bailey to make an exception to the moratorium for personal care homes currently in place in the city.

"It's getting harder and harder every day that you don't allow citizens to live safely in our neighborhoods," Mitchell said. "The more you allow these group homes to encroach on our neighborhood, the more you allow them to encroach on the integrity of these homeowners in the one truly exceptional neighborhood left in this city.

"We're against businesses that don't care about our neighborhood. They're only there seeking monetary gain. Please do not destroy the best neighborhood to live in in Albany."

Bailey said he's already encountered financial hardship because of the moratorium, which will run out at the end of this month. He said he's spent $11,200 in rent on the property, $750 in expenses to meet with three individuals from Thomasville who want to stay at the 910 N. Davis St. home, and that he's "losing $466.68 a day every day that the facility is not open."

"When we finish work we have planned on the facility, it will look like any other home in the neighborhood," Bailey said. "This moratorium, in addition to the funding we're losing, is delaying us bringing 15 new jobs to Albany. And it's keeping three individuals from having a home."

The state of Georgia drastically cut funding for personal care homes under its jurisdiction, forcing residents of many such facilities to find private care homes. Rawson Circle resident Beverly Wilson said she's afraid granting Bailey a license in the historic district would set a dangerous precedent.

"If this (facility) is allowed in our neighborhood, they could start popping up all over the place," Wilson said. "And I can assure you the investment we've made in our homes in this neighborhood is much more than $11,200 in rent and $750 in expenses."

Ward V Commissioner Bob Langstaff warned the residents that the city is limited in the restrictions it can place on personal care homes.

"(Wilson) said 'personal care homes could start popping up all over the place,' and she's right," Langstaff said. "In some respects, you have to understand, our hands are tied. We can limit certain things like number of cars and number of residents, but we can't limit the 'kinds' of people (allowed in such facilities). We're looking for balance.

"We put a moratorium in place because we knew the state was going to close a lot of its (personal care) facilities, and we realized our ordinance (on restrictions of such facilities) had not been updated in 20 years. It was written to fit federal guidelines from 20 years ago, and now we're playing catchup."

The commission decided to vote on granting Bailey's exception request to the moratorium at its Jan. 15 work session.

Comments

WJReady 1 year, 8 months ago

I for one can not understand WHY the residents of Rawson Circle are against this home for elderly residents to live in. A safe and dignified residence and I am sure it will cause much less harm than anyone can truly qualify or explain... Now the truth be told, ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Albany is full of RACISTS and now I find ONE OF THE OLDEST communities will not let the OLDEST LIVE IN IT, BECAUSE IT IS A GROUP HOME FOR ELDERLY PEOPLE. I bet there are a few from the neighorborhood who could utilize this facility and their spouse could walk over or drive a short distance to visit... I am totally amazed but DEFINITELY NOT SURPRISED... you guy's, NEED TO GET A CLUE AND WAKE UP.

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU SCARED OF, GRANDMA/PA WITH A WALKER?

RedEric 1 year, 8 months ago

You are sadly misinformed, stupid or a liar. Or you are Bailey. in which case you are a liar. Forthe rest of you, this is a residence for people being kicked out of an institution. De institutionalized, normalized. This is a commercial venture. Bailey is doing this for profit. Rawson Circle is an historic residential neighborhood. What is next a quick trip? The residents are not old people in wheelchairs. These are disturbed people. They need to be protected, not endanger a neighborhood full of children.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Something like this is probably a tax scam anyway. Deny it.

RedEric 1 year, 8 months ago

He claims he is going to put 3 residents in that house and take care of them by hiring 15 people. Think about that . How much money does it take to hire 15 people, rent a house, pay utilities, feed all of them, etc. I don't see how you could get by on less than $40-50,000 per month. For three people? This does not compute. He is lying. Either he will have much more than 3 residents or far less than 15 employees. Either way it results in abusive care for the residents. Title 19 for Medicaid only pays $3500 per month per person. This guy would have to receive around $15,000 per month per person for this to work. Surly our government is more equitable than that.

stc1993 1 year, 8 months ago

They get up to $150,000 per year (depends on how much care they need) for each person paid in a lump sum. They get food stamps for each person too. They already have 1 home in Doublegate & 1 in another city. I can say with inside knowledge the Bailey's are not the good people they try to project themselves to be.

whattheheck 1 year, 8 months ago

Do we have to go to Thomasville to find people to bring to Albany and put in a group home? Once here, they will become part of the ever growing social services network which doesn't need more external input--we grow our own these days.

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

Shame on you snobbish hypocrites. I bet most of you call yourselves Christians, too.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes and we call ourselves using God-given wisdom about what's reasonable and what's not in a residential neighborhood. NO to re-zoning in the middle of a neighborhood. NO to creating a tax scam and call it a "personal care" business. It's a business, not a private residence. NO to re-zoning. NO to mindless abuse of religious words to attack those against the idea.

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

Tell it to Jesus when the time comes. Tell him how you and your ilk are too good to have the weak, the elderly and the sick to live near you. What do you think we should do with them sister, clean out some cages at the zoo so they won't get to close to the good, healthy white folk in the only decent neighborhood left in albany?

RedEric 1 year, 8 months ago

The residents of this building are sick. They are mentally disturbed and addicted. They need professional help 24/7. Do you really think they are going to get this in that building? They are going to be kept...nothing more. Do you not have any feelings for their plight? Cure may be possible with proper care, care they will not get. This is a scam and you are supporting it.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Why bring race into the discussion? If you can't make a solid argument, just pull out the race card and throw it. There are several decent neighborhoods in Albany. I expect YOU live in one. Do you want a personal care home right up in your grill? I thought not.

Many of these places are just scam operations which take millions from Uncle Sam (aka My Pocket).

wino3800 1 year, 8 months ago

Please stop these personal care for profit operations being built in residential neighborhoods. The city has zoning laws.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't call myself a good Christian, never have, but I do call myself someone who spent over 12 years working in a field that went into "personal care homes", most run by people who were in it for nothing more than money and it sounds to me like Mr. Bailey may be in it for just that. Unfortunately people like those he wants to put in the home are nothing more to them than $$$ signs, like a lot of foster children that I have had paraded in front of me over the years I worked. It used to sicken and disgust me when I went in to some homes and did visits and saw the deplorable conditions the patients had to live in. I must say that many years ago there was a time when they did serve a useful purpose but now they are nothing more than a money making venture for vultures.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

"Tell it to Jesus when the time comes. " You tell him. What nutso puppy poop.

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

Have someone literate help you out with articulating thought into written communication. Better yet, next time you have what you think passes for a thought, just let it pass.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

You understand it. It fits. Wallow in it.

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

LOL I bet people laugh at you in real life, too.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

No one mistakes your drivel for wit or insight. You are more suited at your friend Rev. Heard's website.

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

Man, you are on a roll today. LOL. So, in your opinion, if I don't wear a white sheet and spout racist nonsense about all things black, I'm friends with Reverend Heard? Thanks for the enertainment, and the enlightenment. If it were not for you and the other klansmen who insist on exposing thenselves, thinking folk might start to believe you all have died off by now.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

"Thanks for the enertainment, and the enlightenment." See you are getting better. And remember what I said, "no one mistakes your drivel for wit or insight." You're not a bad fellow, it takes a little more time for you. So keep at it.

TrixibelleBento 1 year, 8 months ago

I keep hearing this term "personal care home", but I've yet heard what happens in these things. Is it a rehab facility, are they opening because of the mental institutions closing, are they really elderly care facilities, what are they???

On the other hand, I'm good if someone wants to pay taxes and keep it from becoming another Phoebe property, thus taking it off the tax rolls.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Trixie...I worked in Home Health for over 12 years, in many rural settings and visited patients in many "personal care homes"...who were on medicaid...want me to describe what the majority of them were like? "It ain't a purdy story....to be sure, not the majority of 'em"....Most of the patients were there for nothing more than extra bucks and some of the things I saw would sicken you.

stc1993 1 year, 8 months ago

The state is closing their hospitals where the mentally handicap used to stay at & placing them in private ran homes.

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

"I just can't seem to get a good handle on what kind of folks are going to be living there."

Dont let that stop you. Jump to conclusions like all the others. It seems to be the thing to do.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

So now Bro. Jacob will guide you with his wisdom gained at Rev. Heard's after hours day school for delinquents.

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

My, my. You seem to have quite the man crush, Friar Tuck Your Junk. What was it exactly that led you to start stalking me from thread to thread? I have to say, you are mildly amusing, but you are wasting your attentions on me. I don't like fellas.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Hah! you can't make a rational point by intelligent remarks so you pull out the racist jive. That doesn't work and so you try another debased approach. Not much works for you does it, Jacob? Don't forget you are late for the tutoring session at Rev. Heard's after school delinquency service.

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

It was not me that suggested a sinister plot by the black clergy to drive white business owners out of town. But I'm the racist? LOL. What do you smoke, stalker?

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

You've been hanging and banging with Lorenzo and the fellas to long. You are the one that beats the drums of racism the loudest. Whether you are a racist is not certain to me but you clearly evidence a thought disorder.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

It was a yes or no question. Not a suggestion. You don't know the difference apparently. Can you be that willfully stupid?

Roy 1 year, 8 months ago

Kudos to Anne Mitchell for being a concerned citizen and protecting our home values. Whenever it seems someone is interested in maintaining the beauty and safety of our older neighborhoods; and objects to their demise; someone "conviently" pulls out the christian card when it suits them and their agenda.I say shame on them.

Citizen_A 1 year, 8 months ago

I have a friend who has a house next to one of the personal care homes...they can't sell their home because of it. Unfortunately people aren't going to choose to live near one. I understand people choosing to put a family member in one as opposed to an institution. But until more regulations are put in place....homeowners are going to fight it.

stc1993 1 year, 8 months ago

More regulations? They already have to much red tape (bureaucracy) since the state took over, I think it was in 1997. Most of the people in these homes are really good people they are just mentally handicapped. They used to be called retarded before the PC jargon took over.

Citizen_A 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm not complaining about the residents...and most owners are not concerned by the residents. It is the high traffic, etc. that comes with them.

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

I wish I could place as much faith in the motives of my neighbors as you. Hopefully, none of those opposed to the disabled living on their block will not have to find care for their loved ones in the future.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Son of Heard, delete the "not" in your last sentence if you want it to make sense. Maybe its just a manifestation of your thought disorder.

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

you are sad little fellow. that hate in your heart will eat your soul.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Nope, son of Heard, I am 5' 11", fish, hunt, sail, scuba dive, play bridge and chess regularly, read extensively, own three homes, family owned business, own commercial property, owe no money, travel frequently. No debt. Great marriage and family. New Caddy (wife's) and SUV in garage, paid for. 3 university degrees, freaking huge IRA and annuity. Excellent health. And you with delusions and thought disorder and Lorenzo, enjoy!

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

Well damn, I'm confused, when does an international, uberiche, magnate like yourself find the time to stalk a Son of Heard community organizer like me 24/7 and make semi-lucid, snide comments when you have so many business, travel, family, financial, and outdoor activities to pursue? LOL. You shop at Kitty's, don't you?