Squawk of the day - Jan. 10, 2013

"As bad as the economy is and as hard as it is to find a job in Albany, why would APD ask the City Commission to shut down a business that has paid its taxes and licensing for 20 years? That’s a great message to business owners and prospective owners you want to come to Albany in the future."

Comments

dickyboy 1 year, 3 months ago

I take it we're talking about Charlie B's...they were a sacrificial lamb...all the others were black bars...

VSU 1 year, 3 months ago

If the squawker is refering to the bars, They were getting so many calls to those places they were probably tired of getting disturbed.

tocar 1 year, 3 months ago

If people could go and conduct themselves as responsible adults, there would not be any problems. You have so many that become loud, vulgar and offensive when they are drinking causing many problems resulting in bar room brawls etc.

waltspecht 1 year, 3 months ago

Blame the patrons of those establishments, or should I say the patrons those establishments allow to patronize their business. If Charlie "B's" didn't get renewed, then I would sue if Big Daddy's did. That place has been a problem way longer than the others. I have always heard it is protected by a group of Ministers due to contributions fromn the owner.

RedEric 1 year, 3 months ago

Oh Walt, surely you jest! Ministers responding to money? Ministers of the Christian faith? Money, the root of all evil? Money, enough of which makes anyone sexy? That money?..........OK.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

Don't get me started...........

jglass 1 year, 3 months ago

The LOVE of money is the root of EVIL!!!! And, yes we do know how so called pastors can be!!!!

FryarTuk 1 year, 3 months ago

Albany is not a tavern town. It's a juke joint town. These guys need to have establishments apart from other buildings about a half mile out of town. Then they could cut, shoot, stab, beat, mangle all they wanted and no one would know or care. In fact the more mortally wounded the less problems for the future. If people are dumb enought to go there, let the devil have them. I'm really not aware of too many problems out of Charlie B's & I live over in Merry Acres. Not to say they aren't any. I believe in running a good safe shop so none of the stray bullets hit innocent folks, but as I say if folks are dumb enough to go there. . . . If its noise the city is concerned about they should be more concerned with the old Shackleford place. They have some real hoedowns there and crank up the music. I don't hear of too many fights there though and I don't think there's been any shootings or stabbings otherwise they would have made the front page. I think mostly gentrified folks go there for special parties and I always enjoy the music. If it gets too loud, I take out my hearing appliance so I can get some sleep.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 3 months ago

us rednecks love Charlie B's.......we can chew tobacco, smoke, drink, spit, and start fights whenever we want...

TrixibelleBento 1 year, 3 months ago

I've never been to Charley B's, but a good friend of mine used to go there quite frequently and he's a good guy. He never said anything about the place other than they had great karaoke and it was a good bar to watch people at.

I wasn't aware that it was that bad of a place, but then again, I live out Old Dawson Road, so I don't know of the kind of mayhem that exists there.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

Seriously? His Royal Highness Barack Obama can only come up with old white guys for His open Cabinet positions? Seriously? I saw the picture..........pretty bad......

Jacob 1 year, 3 months ago

Wrong thread. Not even close to on topic. Lay off the sauce when typing on the internets. You will look less silly.