Phillip Phillips makes a good-will stop at benefit

Phillip Phillips

Phillip Phillips

ALBANY, Ga. — It was all pictures with fans, friends and just folks for Phillip Phillips Saturday night at the State Theatre.

The winner of the American Idol television series and platinum-selling recording artist, Phillips stopped at the “Bleep Cancer! A Benefit for Jessica Wilson” to lend his support to a friend in need.

“It is great to be here,” Phillips said. “I want to help out.”

Albany’s music community staged the 10th annual fight cancer benefit with live music, a silent auction and prizes to help Jessica Wilson, a wife and mother who has been battling cancer since April 201 with her medical bills.

Although Phillips would not play at the benefit his attendance sent a vibration through the girls in the crowd that brought out smile after smile.

“I just like him and his music so much,” said Mary Grace Middlebrooks. “He is just so nice.”

Middlebrooks’ friend Dabney Norton shot down any comparison with Bruce Springsteen. She added, “He is much better than him. And he’s ours.”

Asked about the Springsteen comparison later in the evening, Phillips replied with a great smile, “I don’t know about that.”

One thing Phillips did know, he was among the people who love him and his music. As he posed for pictures it was almost a reunion. Phillips called people by their names smiled and shook hands.

Phillips willingness to take time from the star track and lend a hand for a good cause could only come from a man who values his home and wrote:

“Hold on, to me as we go As we roll down this unfamiliar road And although this wave is stringing us along Just know you’re not alone Cause I’m going to make this place your home.”

Comments

FryarTuk 1 year, 3 months ago

What a fine young man! We are fortunate that he comes from this community. He's been compared favorably to Dave Matthews singing style including Dave Matthews.

agirl_25 1 year, 3 months ago

I've never seen Phillip perform in person but had seen Dave many times and he was a very quiet and unassuming young man when I saw him wayyyyyyy back many moons ago in Virginia, working as a bartender and singing for his supper so to speak, in Miller's Bar. He has a very unique quality about him.....the way he sings and holds his guitar, a special little Dave dance he does, that Phillip so reminds me of when he performs. I just enjoy watching the kid. My friend that introduced me to the DMB and I still marvel at how much they are alike.

FryarTuk 1 year, 3 months ago

You were very fortunate indeed. Interesting, I once read an article about his where he played concerts to help children's groups and also helped raise his sisters children after her death. Seems like Phillips and Matthews have similarities other than their great singing. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 3 months ago

Yes, thank you for the story as I too am a huge Dave fan.

jewels2 1 year, 3 months ago

Great event, wonderful cause, kind young man to support the efforts in his actions and words!

Hazer 1 year, 3 months ago

Not for publicity, Phillip's sister was one of the organizers of the event...

FryarTuk 1 year, 3 months ago

That's what Jessica Wilson said too.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks to everyone for making this event a huge success and coming together to help Jessica!! I felt the love in the room that night.