Another Albany Winn-Dixie closing

Corporate officials say both the Sylvester Road store and the Oakridge store will be closing by March 5.

Courtesy of Winn Dixie

Courtesy of Winn Dixie

ALBANY, Ga. — A second Winn Dixie store is closing here, corporate officials announced Tuesday, leaving only one of the grocery stores in the city.

Winn-Dixie officials confirmed Tuesday that the store on Sylvester Road will join the Oakridge Boulevard store in closing on or before March 5, Rondel L. Cuyler, director of Public Relations & Community Involvement for Winn Dixie, said Tuesday.

"Business conditions occasionally force companies like ours to make tough strategic decisions. The decision has been made to close stores 120 and 172 in Albany, Ga., on or before March 5," Cuyler wrote in an email to The Herald Tuesday. "Although the above Albany stores are closing, Store No. 22, located at 2800 Old Dawson Road, Albany, Ga., will remain open to serve our customers. We are proud of our history here and appreciate the support of our customers and Winn-Dixie team members in this community."

Comments

Albanite 1 year, 7 months ago

Some ghost towns have more open businesses than Albany. Commissioners should do everything in their power to make certain that businesses come into the area and remain open.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 7 months ago

It would help if they would stop their spending spree and lower taxes. But they already held hearings in that issue and didn't listen to anyone but themselves. Arogant SOB's...

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 7 months ago

The Commission represents themselves NOT us poor working people.

whattheheck 1 year, 7 months ago

I certainly don't have a problem with your basic post but can you tell me what the commission can do? When a chain like WD decides to close two stores and one stays open, it sounds like business wasn't there. With the exception of the construction work near Riverfront BBQ, it sounds like its problem was a significant decrease in patronage from earlier years. The commission can;t do much with the state of the economy nor can the feds from what we see. They do control taxes and fees, rules and regs but not whether a business has enough customers to make a go of it.

And don't forget the city makes business loans and has failures on them too like Aunt Fannie's and L'juas, two restaurants closures which sucked up $100,000 each. So there are limits to what government can do unless one wants to lose more money in the process. I suggest that on the recent closures we have heard about, government could have done nothing that would have made up for what sounds like a lack of customers/sales.

LoneCycler 1 year, 7 months ago

The new Walmart did them in. Now it's shop at Walmart or at Harvey's. Harvey's is suffering too so it's just a matter of time until Wallmart can say "all your grocery store are belong to us."

Ihope4albany 1 year, 7 months ago

While it may be nice to think it is the commissioners' fault, a shrinking population coupled with the "WalMart" factor is mostly the issue.

The death sentence of any locale is when the imbalance is too great between the haves and have nots! Albany is a mecca if you will for social services in this region, which draws even more of an impoverished population.

FryarTuk 1 year, 7 months ago

I agree with everything you have written EXCEPT I would say to you that the ABY City Commission and the DOCO County Commission are in LARGE part the reason for the community's demise. Poor leadership, too much public bureaucracy, high taxes, poor police protection, massive wasteful spending. Incestuous squabbling (cf. WG&L and Postell). (Okay, I left out DCSS but that's another story. Maybe we are in for positive change.)

whattheheck 1 year, 7 months ago

"Albany is an impoverished City! The hope for Albany is that people with middle-upper class incomes stay in the City/County. Then, for those who left to find it feasible to come back."

They will leave and they will not return so the hope otherwise has no hope. If people left for a better quality of life outside Albany, they will not return. And over time, many more in Albany at the moment will join them. Realistically, what does Albany have to offer that any other place to live within say 25 miles has?

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 7 months ago

I think this is more about the state of affairs at Winn-Dixie than the city of Albany. Who knew that Wal-Mart would have such a negative effect on a small city?

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 7 months ago

Sherwood You might want to look further than Winn D. The all knowing and powerful commissioner just added another 1 million to their spending budget today.....Guess who has to come up with that much more money? The Taxpayers...

FryarTuk 1 year, 7 months ago

Won't be long til the Harvey's stores close by will be closing.WalMart just sucks the money out of communities and sends it to China and Bentonville.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

I avoid Wal*Mart like the plague. China already owns a large percentage of the US future, thanks to Obama and will own a couple trillion more dollars worth before He's done with His Destructive Plan. Why send more money voluntarily?

jbk3 1 year, 7 months ago

As a retiree of WD it is not pleasant to see these two stores go, but not unexpected. The WalMart effect is real, but also take into consideration the area in which these stores are located. Would you open or run a new store in those areas ..... no, I didn't think so. Was there for opening day @ #172, and after the flood; will miss the people, but not the place.

Moe 1 year, 7 months ago

More jobs would mean more shoppers, but both the commission and KADB/Judy "Toilet" Bowles are anti-business/anti-job. Flush the toilet.

rorschach 1 year, 7 months ago

I could never figure out how we allowed Wal-Mart to come to that area in the first place. A little research would have revealed that almost every business within eyesight of Wal-Mart will close soon after a Wal-Mart moves in because more than likely Wal-Mart is selling everything they sell in one location at the same price or lower. The businesses that do well near a Wal-Mart are the ones that are established after the Wal-Mart opens. Those businesses will usually feed off of the customers generated by Wal-Mart. The shopping centers where Harvey's and Winn Dixie are located will soon be like a ghost town.

waltspecht 1 year, 7 months ago

Why hasn't Wal-Mart and Sam's killed the Northwest area around the Mall? There is more to this than Wal-Mart.

FryarTuk 1 year, 7 months ago

Have you seen how many shops have closed in the Mall? I agree other things are involved but Wal-Mart destroys jobs, businesses, communities and real estate values.

sammyrayw 1 year, 7 months ago

I buy groceries at Harvey's, but my essentials at Wal-mart due to the cost being cheaper. I do not buy any groceries at Wal-Mart. Went into Winn-dixie on Sylvester Road on sunday and I can honestly see why they are closing that store. They had nothing there that was advertised and said they would not until Tuesday. In addition to that, the smell in there was horrendous. If I do shop at Winn-dixie, it is normally the one in Lee County near work.

mrcvsjr 1 year, 7 months ago

The WAL-Mart effect is real. When they were building the store, they attempted to buy out Harveys and accquire that plaza as well to make that Wal-Mart a Super Center instead of the way it is currently constructed.

MRKIA 1 year, 7 months ago

THE WINN DIXIE IN CAMILLA IS CLOSING ALSO. JUST BUILT A NEW SUPER-WALMART NEXT DOOR. PUT A LOT OF PEOPLE OUT OF WORK.

PumpkinEater 1 year, 7 months ago

Take $50-75 million in sales from previously established local stores and you will see a major impact in any small market. Only the strong and well-priced will survive in the non-specialty areas.

RedEric 1 year, 7 months ago

Walmart will respond to public pressure. The Walmart President recently said he will start stocking items made in the USA. A lot of the comments above are voiced nationwide.

HalfFan 1 year, 7 months ago

The Wallmart in East Albany does not have anywhere near the food selection that the one near the mall has. The prices at WD are extremely high unless you have their discount card. Because of that I avoided shopping at WD. They were in trouble before Wallmart arrived. Wallmart does hurt other business. The grocery stores at strip malls frequently have agreements with other stores in strip mall not to sell same products.

HalfFan 1 year, 7 months ago

Now that the WD is closing maybe Harveys will survive, The only good thing from Wallmart opening is that there gas station competition has loweredf gas at a few stations in the area. Those that complain about gas price being lower in east Albany dont seem to remember that untill the Wallmart opened the gas was always higher on the east side. Historically gas in Albany has been about five cents less than national average. What has happened to change that.

VSU 1 year, 7 months ago

I personally think things would have been better if Walmart never came here at all. I basically boycott Walmart myself. I shop at other stores. I wouldn't buy my groceries there anyway, particularly their meat products. My neighbors bought meat there a couple of times and they said both times they got sick. They said they would never buy groceries there again. So I don't buy groceries there for that reason.

chinaberry25 1 year, 7 months ago

I do not buy at Winn Dixie because they are too high. Will not miss it.

chinaberry25 1 year, 7 months ago

I buy my meat at Carrolls and it is great! I do not eat Walmart's meat. That store over in EA is too small to have a great impact on other stores unless they are too high. Walmart is not cheap anymore, that is a farce. I can buy at Mikes Country store and spend less money than I spend at Winn Dixie.