Leesburg hires former Lee Public Works director

LEESBURG, Ga. -- At a special called meeting Tuesday, the Leesburg City Council voted 4-3 to hire former Lee County Public Works Director William Clark for the same position with the city.

Clark served the county for more than 10 years before resigning in late 2009 for engaging in business practices that conflicted with his employment.

Clark's name was placed into nomination by councilman Billy Breeden and seconded by Richard Bush. The council reached a 3-3 impasse with Breeden, Bush and Bobby Wilson voting for, while Sidney Johnson, Judy Powell and Debra Long voted against.

Mayor Jim Quinn broke the tie, voting in favor of Clark's hire.

"I think William realizes he made a mistake, but haven't we all?" Wilson said prior to the vote, alluding to Clark's resignation from the county. "I think (Clark) still has a good relationship with county officials. I just think William Clark is a good fit for the city of Leesburg."

At the time of Clark's resignation from the county, two people claiming knowledge of the incident said he had paid a business owner to place a bid on a piece of equipment that Clark wanted to sell to the county after he had been told that he could not conduct such business as a county employee.

"My major concern with this hiring is if (Clark) will be able to work with the county," Powell said.

According to Quinn, Clark will be paid between $40,000 and $50,000 and assume the position pending the results of a drug test and background check.

Comments

FryarTuk 1 year, 11 months ago

Why doesn't Lee County and Leesburg consolidate? It makes so much sense and would be so easy. Significant resources would be saved for programs (or reduce taxes) other than duplicated bureacracy.

whattheheck 1 year, 11 months ago

The Leesburg property tax is $339,000 so there isn't much to work with as far as local money is concerned--all cannot be a savings. But if you did that, what about Smithville with its $63,000? Not worth it.

FryarTuk 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm not sure of your logic, heck. The point is fold the services into county services. If there are services which the city gets (e.g.EMS) and the county doesn't designate a special services district. As for Smithville, why? It's just a bureauacracy to provide a couple of humps employment. Disband it. At one point citizens have to realize that resources are limited and political bureacracy is the best way to reduce expenses to maintain a decent quality of life. Of course, politicians and folks on the gravy train will protest but it is for the greater community good.

whattheheck 1 year, 11 months ago

It seems is there is not a lot of money to be saved by rolling what Leesburg does under the county umbrella because there isn't that much spent as is. And if it is to be done for Leesburg, should it be done for Smithville as the only other "taxing entity" other than the BOE. If Leesburg is happy with what it has, leave them alone and let them pay for it--won't save the unincorporated parts of the county any money as I see it. If there is nothing significant to be gained, why do it?

This segways into the DoCo situation. Although perhaps there is some money to be saved in total, why on earth would the uninc folks want to sign onto joining with the city and its plethora of financial problems such as WG&L cleanup, downtown redevelopment, blight mitigation, subsidized housing and growing social services? I understand why the city folks want consolidation (to get more to share the burden) but not those in the county.

DoctorDorite 1 year, 11 months ago

If what is written is true about a crooked deal gone wrong then why is someone with a proven lack of character hired as a public servant just because he can work with the county that he tried to bambuzzle and I'm concerned about what " a good fit" means now ?? I hoped the mayor has'nt stumped his toe on this one, if so it'll come back bite him.

whattheheck 1 year, 11 months ago

I suppose the feeling is he learned his lesson and we won't be faced with recidivism. Why not hire someone who has never screwed up since this guy went out of his way to do something wrong earlier? Sorry, one strike and out on this one, no mulligan!

Gollygee 1 year, 11 months ago

Parole Board chairman: They've got a name for people like you H.I. That name is called "recidivism." Parole Board member: Repeat offender! Parole Board chairman: Not a pretty name, is it H.I.? H.I.: No, sir. That's one bonehead name, but that ain't me any more. Parole Board chairman: You're not just telling us what we want to hear? H.I.: No, sir, no way. Parole Board member: 'Cause we just want to hear the truth. H.I.: Well, then I guess I am telling you what you want to hear. Parole Board chairman: Boy, didn't we just tell you not to do that? H.I.: Yes, sir. Parole Board chairman: Okay, then.

bigbob 1 year, 11 months ago

I'll bet that everyone in the Lee Cty Jail will tell you they learned their lesson also if you let them go. This is so good ole boy its scary, I swear they are getting more like Albany all the time.

FryarTuk 1 year, 11 months ago

Very sad but true. The Sheriff is the one that spent taxpayers money on projects awarded to family without competitive bidding. Supporters response was, "that's just the way we do business, heah."

DoctorDorite 1 year, 11 months ago

If all this is true I'll say that I'm very disappointed, I've always liked the elected council members and Mayor in Leesburg and agreed/trusted their judgement and decision making but now I suggest all residents need to start watching alot closer at the ones who voted for a person with such a stain on their "public servant" record. This makes me wonder if they would they hire an admitted child molester to work at their childs daycare center after an apology, saying they've "learned their lesson" ??? I've heard and learned over time that the stripes on a Tiger never change.

navynole 1 year, 11 months ago

I am so sick of people blowing things out of portion. They need to do more research before making comments on something. Most of these people donot know the whole story. I always thought people knew what they were talking about. I guess rumor control is not out there anymore in government. Leesburg officals think before you make a statement. It may come back on you at the wrong time. Mr. Clark was a true asset to the city, when he was at the county. He knows how to WORK TOGETHER in getting things done. For the statement GOOD OLE BOYS, he treats everyone with respect and no favoritism. He will look out for the citizens monies. I feel Lee county jump the gun on the so called mistake. He was not making any monies on the deal and tried to save the taxpayers money. I am proud to know someone like this has come to be a servant of the City of Leesburg.

chinaberry25 1 year, 11 months ago

navynole, enlighten us with the whole story. You rambled like a politicians, Half truths and nothing to back it up.

Cartman 1 year, 11 months ago

Georgiagranny, I was about to post something almost identical. I too, know the full story. Mr. Clark is an absolutely fine person. I would trust him with anything that I had.

DoctorDorite 1 year, 11 months ago

As I've said "if this is true" ......... I'll admit I don't know except what I've read here in the Herald but a few on here have said they "know" the truth yet have failed to share "the truth". When I see a 3-3 council vote with a tie breaker deciding the outcome that indicates to me some good people were having serious doubts themselves.

whattheheck 1 year, 11 months ago

Not a lot to work with when those who "know" don't "show", or so it seems.

SWGAconservative 1 year, 11 months ago

Perhaps some of you should ask the herald for the archive information. They actually did a story on why the gentleman left Lee County. That might resolve the question, but if you were the one responsible for taxpayer money and everyone today wants transparency why would you not want everything above bar. That includes trying to save the county money by selling from your individually owned company to them. It doesn't pass the smell test and could be perceived as a conflict of interest. Why put yourself or the entity in that precarious position?