Man offers $5,000 reward after home burglary

ALBANY, Ga. — Burglars stole more than $14,300 worth of rifles, shotguns and a laptop computer from a home at 4530 La Costa Drive before 7 p.m. Tuesday, according to a Dougherty County Police Department report.

"The owner, Jonathan Connell, is offering a $5,000 reward leading to the arrest of the suspects," DCPD Detective Sgt. Chad Kirkpatrick said. "There were nine guns and a laptop; no cash was stolen."

Anyone with additional information is asked to call Dougherty County Police Department investigations at (229) 430-6600 or Crime Stoppers at (229) 436-TIPS (8477). The Spanish-speaking APD-COP Tip Line is (229) 434-2677.

Crime Stoppers is an anonymous tipline. People with information could become eligible for cash rewards.

Comments

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

Sounds like someone he knows pulled this one off. Someone who knew he had those rifles in his house. Someone must have been casing his house waitiing for him to leave. The news reported he was gone less than 90 minutes and came back and discovered the burglary. Course this is just speculation.

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

Inside job and why no security alarm?? But I do hope they get caught, but do not expect to ever see the gun. It would also been cheaper to have a locator on the computer.

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

Sometimes I wonder if they report the guns stolen thinking that if someone was to come get his guns he would have a police report showing that they were stolen and the record would show he no longer has the guns even though he may have it hidden somewhere else. Easy to put up $5000 knowing no one will be able to claim it. Just a thought!

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

If I were a betting man, I would wager that the guns were stolen, he will gladly pay the 5k, and the guns will be recovered sooner of later.

Parent 1 year, 8 months ago

Maybe since this is a so called upscale neighborhood "StoneBridge" he felt there was no need for an alarm.

Sally_O 1 year, 8 months ago

Upscale neighborhoods are not immune to burglaries.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 8 months ago

Put your weapons in a locked gun safe so they cannot be stolen. As VSU previously stated, he could have simply made a false report.

stc1993 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree, if I had $14k of guns they would be locked in a fire proof gun safe.

trudy2 1 year, 8 months ago

The person should have taken better precaution to ensure the safety of his property.

tiamia1 1 year, 8 months ago

The posts on this article made me laugh! Why do you stick up for the thief and not Mr. Connell? It's made to sound like the thief had the right to steal the guns because they were not locked up in a fireproof gun safe. This is just one thing wrong with America today, the people who feel entitled to steal things they are too lazy to work for and then get confirmation from people who blame the owner....

Sally_O 1 year, 8 months ago

Ever heard of inside jobs? It happens! Who knows? Maybe this guy is afraid they will come take his rifles and he can claim them stolen. Some people file false reports to put in a claim on their insurance. Keep laughing if it makes you feel good.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't know.....my late brother-in-law had an extensive and very expensive gun collection and took extra precautions to protect it. When he had his custom home built he had the outer walls made extra thick (18") and reinforced (a tank would have taken a while to get thru) and the doors were not ordinary doors but reinforced metal and the gun safes inside were all built in and reinforced too. Had motion detector cameras and lights on the outside of his house, and an alarm system also....maybe you say he was overly cautious but when someone has a gun collection as valuable as his was you sure protect it. (P.S. did I mention he was ex-military and we think he spent too much time in Special Forces. But we loved him.) I know if it had been mine and I had the resources to protect it I would have. Some were sold to private collectors and some at auction and some are in the family....but the prized ones are safely tucked away in the bank for my husband and I do not have the desire to fortify our home for the sake of a few guns but hope to someday pass them on to grandsons.

waltspecht 1 year, 8 months ago

A skilled thief is almost impossible to stop without a huge investment. Do what you can afford to do to protect all your belongings, not just firearms. With an alarm, I wonder what the response time to Stonebridge would be if the cars were in the extreme Southern sector on another call? It isn't their fault, but Police can be minutes away when seconds count. I can remember when the response time for the Lee County Sheriff's Department was over 20 minutes average. That has sure changes in thirty years, but at one time it was a fact. Oh, by the way, it is much easier to say you sold the gun and misplaced the name and address of the person you sold it to. You aren't required to even have it you know. So why risk a criminal charge?