Ga. school system considers year-round calendar

MACON, Ga. — A proposed year-round school calendar would have students in one of Georgia's largest school systems heading back to class in future school years as early as July 25.

The Telegraph of Macon reports that Bibb County's school board is expected to review the proposal at its meeting Thursday.

The proposal calls for the school year to be split into four quarters that are each between 42 and 47 days long.

School officials plan to study the issue and seek feedback on year-round schools during the next few months.

Comments

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

This may be better than 4 day weeks.

buddy 1 year, 8 months ago

Hmmm where to begin...school stinks! Kids need summer break to recharge. More money to run schools during the hottest part of the year. More money to fuel buses when gas cost more. More money for teachers, crossing guards, staff, etc. All at a time when the state is furloughing teachers??? Seems kind of crazy

PatrickY2K 1 year, 8 months ago

Kids need to recharge? Seriously? Kids need to retain what they've learned, and getting rid of the long summer break will mean schools won't spend the first month reviewing.

This calendar doesn't mean more school days, so teachers will still make the same, as will the entire staff, so those aren't really reasons.

A school system is trying to make improvements, and gets nothing but a negative response. Must be the Squawk Box!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Why not just start by getting all the kids there on the first day of school?

Trustbuster 1 year, 8 months ago

Its seems like the longer that we have kids in school the less educated they are. Why is that happening?

stc1993 1 year, 8 months ago

Sorry truthbuster hit the wrong button. What I was going to add to your post was the more school taxes we pay the less educated they are. I believe I read that we pay more per student than private schools charge. I could be wrong though.

jglass 1 year, 8 months ago

I do not agree with year round schooling. The teachers as well as the students need a break. I cannot imagine being a teacher and not getting some kind of extended break. I know the breaks would be longer between quarters, but I remember going to school and enjoying the summer break. I agree sister, start by getting all of the students in class the first day of school!!!