Dougherty’s Amber Ward, right, goes up for a shot Tuesday against Crisp County’s Kayla Green. Ward and the Herald No. 4 Lady Trojans cruised to a 49-38 win and have now won 11 of their last 13.

ALBANY — One of the most dominant players in Region 1-AAAA is no longer with the Crisp County team, and Dougherty took full advantage Tuesday.

With Crisp's Nasheema Oliver removed from the Lady Cougars' team after an in-game incident Saturday at home against Worth County, the Lady Trojans' inside attack was too much in a 49-38 win.

Lady Cougars' head coach Barrett Wilkes said Oliver, an All-Region player as a sophomore last year and a Herald Super 6er, was "no longer with the team."

"It's a team matter and she's no longer with us," Wilkes said. "We're a team and we've got to play together and stick together."

Dougherty (10-5, 7-2 Region 1-AAAA) led 22-12 at the half Tuesday after holding Crisp, which was running a completely new style of offense without the 6-foot-3 post, to just two first-quarter points.

"We game planned for (Oliver) being out there," Dougherty head coach Charlene Jackson said. "It's unfortunate whatever happened, happened. You have to have discipline on your team. All coaches understand that."

The Lady Trojans led by as many as 16 in the second half before Crisp went a 12-2 run to close to within six after Dee Dee Williams' putback with 6:15 to play cut the lead to 39-33.

Dougherty's Amber Ward fought back with a three and another jumper to increase to lead to 44-33 with 4:18 to play to put the game away.

"It was a little easier to get rebounds (without Oliver in the post)," Ward said. "She gets a lot of rebounds."

Quannisha Gatling, who scored eight straight in the second half, and Ward led the way for Dougherty with 17 points, while Ra'Keta Shelton scored 11 points to go with 10 boards and four steals despite fouling out early.

“When we played them up there in Cordele (in a 42-28 Dougherty loss), I saw some positive things in the second half,” Jackson said. “We’re trying to play with intensity from start to finish. We had to be prepared for whatever run they were going to make.”

With no Oliver, Williams and Kayla Green picked up the slack for Crisp. Williams scored 12 points and had 10 rebounds and Green finished with 10 points and 11 boards. Still, it was tough news for the Lady Cougars

"I've got every bit of faith in those girls right there and I think we can play with anybody if we play the way we're capable of,” Wilkes said.

Wilkes would not say how Oliver's dismissal occurred, but did say her team was disappointed in the loss of the most dominant inside presence in Southwest Georgia.

"I would say there were," Wilkes said. "Those girls in that locker room believe in each other and I believe in them."

Oliver averaged 18 points and 12 rebounds a game as a sophomore and was getting attention from Division I schools.

Crisp (10-7, 7-3 Region 1-AAAA) goes to Monroe Saturday in region play, while Dougherty plays Monroe Friday at Darton College.

CRISP COUNTY BOYS 58, DOUGHERTY 45: Since Cougars’ head coach Terry Smith called for a gut check three games ago, Crisp County has responded with two consecutive wins after Tuesday’s 58-45 victory over Dougherty.

The Trojans got as close as 39-34 on Mardius McWhorter’s lay-in in the third quarter, but the Cougars (7-10, 6-4 Region 1-AAAA) responded with a dominant fourth quarter to move back into a third-place tie in the region standings.

“This is the first time all year we’ve won back-to-back games,” Smith said. “I’d say they got the message, but we’ll find out Saturday (vs. Monroe at Darton).”

Javoris Cooks led Crisp with 13 points while Landon Whitman added 11. Dougherty (5-9, 4-5 Region 1-AAAA) was paced by Al Brown’s 10 points and also got nine points from Michael Miller.

Comments

agame 1 year, 10 months ago

It,s a sad case when a young person get's to the point where her mouth is foul and parents allow the child to disrespect adults. In this case a child had no respect for coaches and adults around her. My respect is for the coach who held his composure as the child point her finger in his face and use obscenities loudly. leave the floor come back to the bench and continue too be rude. Its not like she was dominating the game maybe 5 for 25 shooting. I wonder is she a good student? The sad part is it took someone with rationale from the stands to tell her she was wrong. Sitiing there you hear a fan or family member boost about offers she's got.The question is will she be able to substain at anyone's university? This has festered from a another coach allowing her to be self-centered and do as she please at practice and during games,Unfortantly it happens in high schools and the child will be in for a rude awaking when and if they get to college!!

assist 1 year, 10 months ago

Maybe so, but you do not know where this child may or may not come from and she may need a little more guidance off court and on as well. She could have been sat for a few games to let her know she is not bigger than the game itself. There could be a chance that he hurt her ability to get out of her environment. I think it could have been handled better than dismissal from the team. Extra running or something. Now the Senoiors on this team will be down because their chance for a State Championship just went out of the door. I wonder when his football players do that, does he kick them off the team. Here you have a school that fired a Head Coach that had been to the State Championship playoffs 3 years in a row and came close to winning it once, and the school fires her. This shows you where football stands in all high school sports.

agame 1 year, 10 months ago

You have a valid point about football vs other sports.We see it all the time in the state. The issue of the fired coach based on members of the coommunity and former players was the talent was there but the elite attitude for some players and not others was enhanced by the former coach.The chanvce to return was offered and met with profanity lace response and negativity.There have been many of players whom had great ability but was unable to be team players.Unforntanely it starts at home.I,ve been to the games there and you should hear the egotistical remarks and empowerment from those in the stands.This gives the kid a rite of passage to behave as they please.I,m sure Oliver is good kid but when you cross the line of profanity laced responses and your productivity does,nt match your actions thats a red flag.Especially when you,re not doing the primary things needed to win.This is not a knock on the kid as a person but a realistic view.Look at the Turner,Americus and Albany game tape. Sadly some coaches let parents and certain players have free reign of the teams and keep their fot on others.THE MOST SUCCESSFUL TEAMS DOE.S NOT LET ELITIST ATTITUDES PREVAIL ON THE TEAM,IT BECOMES CANCEROUS

assist 1 year, 10 months ago

Well lets just see where the current staff takes us. Hard to argue with success. Look at the competetion played and it would be hard for a Crisp team to be much better than they have been in previous years. Like I said discipline her so that she will have a chance later in life. Don't try to kill the kids dream. I know everything starts at home, but then again you have to realize what home is ! Have you ever been to a football game there. Those kids are still on the team. Looks like a double standard.

TNash 1 year, 10 months ago

In all honesty, perhaps it would be just as easy to do some background research before being so interested in commenting. At that point if this was the Albany game she finished with 24 points on 10-23 shooting from the field for 24 points and 8 rebounds I'd imagine by whatever sense of the word dominating you may have, she still contributed mightily to the win and in general goes a long way to being a determining factor in her team's success be it good or bad. Secondly she's a very good student. Thirdly I believe the correct sequence of events is that it was the mother who was "the person from the stands" and if anyone is supposed to be the one to step in to the situation, the correct one did. To know that something like this has been brewing all year I'm not surprised that something boiled up and bubbled over. At the end of the day she is still a teenager. At the end of the day she's still someone who apologized to the team and coaching staff, not for standing up for herself, but for doing so in a manner that was most likely considered disrespectful or at the very least not the time or the place to voice her frustrations. If this was any other time or place, with any other player - I agree in a lot of aspects that it would be and should be handled differently. I know Fruit well and to paint her as self-centered and someone that did as they pleased during games and practices isn't the right brush to use. I can't think of many who have worked as hard or improved as much in the last three years. Just like as a coach there's a time or a place for discipline, in the middle of a game when emotions are high and someone is giving their all isn't the right place to question their contributions to the team. She'll do just fine at whatever university she chooses and she'll succeed and grow to be a strong, educated, responsible young lady. To the second poster - her home life is stable, she's from a loving and supportive family who are there through the good and the bad, and who continue to teach right from wrong. She’s been in tough positions in controlled environments so she'll understand the rewards of working through difficult situations (being homesick, learning to stand up for herself, etc.) She'll have every opportunity to make it out of her "environment". She was initially told to sit two games and after agreeing was approached with what appeared to be more of a cya ultimatum, which she disagreed to as anyone with the most basic rights has the ability to do. If someone is approached with a "do this or else" and they choose "or else" my mindset is that there has to be a strong enough feeling to choose the consequence rather than put themselves back into the same situation that premeditated it. (cont. due to word limit)

TNash 1 year, 10 months ago

Lastly, it's very easy to point fingers at everyone else. But take a good solid look at yourself as well. At what point do you understand that "dominance" shouldn't be the only measure of someone's contributions to a team. And when is it ever really ok to sit here, have harsh words, and hide behind the anonymity of an online forum. Why don't you speak based on personal experience and not hearsay based on "members of the community" and "former players". A comment over the offers someone holds speaks more to pride of the community or simply conversation than anything else. Otherwise, why is ESPN, AJC, Albany Herald, Macon Telegraph and everyone else will be quick to include in a blurb on a player that "he has current offers from x, y, z, college".

Based on the use of words, sentence structure and grammar, I'm almost certain I know who post # 1 and #3 is (which is sad in its own right) but I can only comment on things I'm certain of, which I've done.

As it stands, my name is Thomas Nash. I don't have the need or urge to hide behind an anonymous message board post. Do I know Fruit and her family? Yes I do, rather well. Am I her coach during the spring and summer? Yes, I am. Have I ever experienced her to be rude (no), self-centered (no), elitist (no), passionate (yes), hard-working (yes), a little stubborn and head-strong (yes). I'm speaking from first-hand experience and not just opinion, please don't get those two confused because I know her, and coach her . I have very strong opinions as well (regarding the coaching staff, the small-mindedness of the town, the fact that an opportunity was there for others to be mentors as the adults in the situation but wasn't, etc.) but this isn't the point I'm making here. I'd rather come to the defense of someone that's getting bashed by someone undeservedly.
A teenager makes a mistake, that mistake gets corrected by her parent(s) which leads to her apologizing for her actions, but they are supportive in her decision to stand up for herself (which no matter who you are you're in your right to do). That leads to the coaching staff making an internal decision that she could either accept or not. That carries over to her making a decision to remove herself from the situation that got her upset in the first place and standing by it.

CoachF 1 year, 10 months ago

There is a saying "What don,t kill you will make you stronger". Opinions of another person behavior will differ according to the circumstances and history between the two parties. I've known her since she begin her trek as a basketball player, watch her and family go through the various stages of her development.Still love to joke with her little brother and know the supportive parents as well.I,m certain she will be fine and in a few months all will be well. I,m not aware of what the factual circumstances are behind this incident or views of the administration,coaching staff ro parents.As a matter of fact it's personal to them.Ido know young people will mae mistakes with behavior,words or body language.To teach them resistance skills and prepare them for the competitive world they will face is a challenge due to the many pressure options they face daily(both imposed by peers and adults).Metro areas,small towns or surburban areas the same issues exsists in high school sports.When you land to another program just learn from this and be Fruit who is maturing into a young woman. Crisp Co High will be fine I,m hoping they rally nd finish the season strong as well.. To the other posts thats what these comment sections do create dialog and who's to say who's right and who's wrong? I pray that a quick resolve comes to this.

CoachF 1 year, 10 months ago

Coach Nash I understand your support of Fruit and have know her for years myself.I know her family and still love to joke with her little brother. It,s a unfortunate situation whats has occured at Crisp Co and her high school team.I don,t know what the circumstances are nor does it really matter.The only concerned should be about Fruit and how she will grow from this.I do know she has strong parents and pray this situation helps all parties grow as humans. Where ever she lands as long as she works hard and keep that infectious smile all will be well(lol). She's been a staple in the basketball community there since her developing years as a recreation player to the highly recruited player today. To the other posters maybe you have inside information that others might not have so I won,t dismiss your thoughts.However the young lady is entitled to a mistake and the coach is entitled to coach the team as he or she seems fit.

dawgfan414 1 year, 10 months ago

It is good to see the "good old boy" network is alive and well in our local school system where athletics is involved an not some silly program that emphasizes learning and personal growth through the use of teachers and coaches that are passionate about their fields and have the needs of our children as a top priority. Who cares if our children are the real losers in all of this? The Athletic Director, Head Football coach? I doubt that!

Why else would a coach that obviously cares for her students and has the special, God given talent of being able to teach those that really desire to learn and better themselves be replaced by a man that not only does not know how to coach but also carries an attitude that is poisonous to all those that come near..Not to mention he has no concern for our kids when it comes to Girls Basketball.

You blast Ms. Oliver for being rude and for calling out the "coach" at the game but yet you have no real knowledge of what has been taking place on and off the court. You sit back and condemn her but it is my guess that she only gave back what she received herself. "Kids" do that..They see us "adults" acting like idiots, yelling, shouting, cursing and at some point they are bound to give it right back to us! So what does an arrogant coach do? Dismiss from the team a very talented athlete with a very real and exciting future. What ever happened to teaching? Punishment is acceptable, she made a mistake..sit out a game and she learns from it! Kick her off the team and she learns absolutely nothing except she isn't worth the trouble to teach.

Coach Speir gave options, she cared enough to help, she taught and that is what the good educators do! They do not condemn. That is why coach Speir was succesful and her teams were always in the hunt. Maybe she needs to teach you..."coach", you need some help, you need to grow up, teach these kids and learn to love what