Man sues after state rejects GAYGUY license plate

— An Atlanta man is suing the Georgia Department of Driver Services, contending that his rights were violated when the state rejected his application for vanity plates making reference to his sexual orientation.

James Cyrus Gilbert maintains in the lawsuit that state officials rejected his application for the tags 4GAYLIB, GAYPWR and GAYGUY.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports (http://bit.ly/Wj786k) that all three vanity plates are on the list of vanity plates banned by the state, although the state has approved plates expressing some political or religious expressions.

Gilbert said he wasn't asking for a plate that was vulgar or "over the top."

Representatives of the state Attorney General's office, Georgia Department of Driver Services and the Department of Revenue, the agency that administers vanity plates, declined to comment on the lawsuit.

Comments

waltspecht 1 year, 11 months ago

I would think they were looking out for the individual's safety with the denial. Those particular plates might just attract the wrong attention from some folks. Not knocking anything, just being realistic. Like the old joke of a real Survivor's show.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 11 months ago

I think if the guy wanted it then give it to him at his own risk. Good point though.

Cartman 1 year, 11 months ago

We live in Bizarro-World. Children should not be subjected to anyone's sexuality. But we allow them to see this and worse. Shame on us.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

Can't put PROLIFE on there either.

MRKIA 1 year, 11 months ago

LET HIM CHANGE HIS NAME TO JAMES CYRUS IMAHOMO. SURELY HE CAN USE HIS LEGAL NAME.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 11 months ago

It is 2013, women can vote, black people can drink from the same fountain as whites, and gay people can get married. What is this world coming to?

I don't see anything offensive with "gayguy" anyways. I actually did see one that was offensive a few years ago, "vag doc."

Cartman 1 year, 11 months ago

What has women and race has to do with anything? I guess nudity on TV and advertisements; feminine product ads; erectile dysfunction ads; public cursing in front of women and children, etc. are perfectly acceptable now? Please excuse me if I don't agree. I don't think GAYGUY was referring to Fred Flintstone having a gay ole time. The dude's sexual preference is his own choice. I do still disagree that folks should have to explain it away to their 7 year old child that sees the tag.

Just old fashioned I guess.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 11 months ago

I just think it's time to stop treating homosexuals like second class citizens here in the South. At one point in time women and blacks were treated this same way and it was okay. I don't view this issue on the same field as nudity, erectile dysfunction...etc.

FryarTuk 1 year, 11 months ago

I find the tag moniker repulsive, not because of prejudicial attitudes toward gays, rather in terms of community standards. Why not keep your sexuality to yourself and enjoy yourself how ever you choose, no need to smear it all over everybody. That's the one issue I have with a division of the gays, it seems some of them just want to wear their pink thongs in public. Grow up for chrissake. Gays would find a lot more acceptance in society if they just behavedsocially. I hope he doesn't win the litigation but more than likely he will.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree that the plate is tasteless.

dickyboy 1 year, 11 months ago

What the hell.... honk if you're horny...

MRKIA 1 year, 11 months ago

THAT'S WHAT THAT TAG WOULD ADVERTISE.