There’s no excuse for leaving dog outside

I am writing about an issue that has gone unaddressed for too long — that of the perpetually chained or penned, so-called “outside” or “backyard” dog.

What a sad sight! These forgotten animals, relegated to the status of lawn ornaments, are ignored by the family. It happens all over Lee and Dougherty counties.

Many chained or penned dogs are seriously neglected. They lack fresh water and food, adequate shelter and shade, hygiene, needed exercise, veterinary care and socialization. It’s inhumane.

We all know about the the link between animal abuse and neglect with the perpetration of future crimes.

Any excuse for having an outside dog is a poor excuse in my mind and heart. You don’t have to be a dog lover to know that these highly intelligent, innocent and beautiful creatures deserve better.

I urge you to bring your pets inside for the majority of their lives — and definitely on these nights when the temperature dips below freezing!

ERIN HUNT

Leesburg

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

Make that call Mr/Ms Hunt (if that's your real name) to the authorities, and please quit taking up space in this important news outlet!!

Hoodie 1 year, 7 months ago

I have dogs outside on chains as well as numerous other animals they have fur or feathers they will be fine. Please mind your own business

waltspecht 1 year, 7 months ago

Look, yard dogs have been around since long before you or I have been on this earth. I have actually had dogs that appreciate the yard more so than the house. Unless you have a dog that has been selectively bred to be a house dog, they can withstand the majority of the temperatures outside. Kennel dogs do just fine on Plantations, as do hunting hounds. Be realistic, they are working animals you are attempting to put human characteristics to. You remind me of the Lady that told me I was mistreating my Louisianna Leopard Cur by letting her stay in the truck while I went to the store for a few minutes. Now this is a dog bred to run hogs in the Deep South. Plus the window to the bed of the truck was wide open, so anytime she wanted to she could have gotten in the back of the truck and slept under the tool box. A place she normally hung out in when home. That way I couldn't leave without her. The heat wasn't a problem, but this Lady had heard from well meaning people you don't leave a dog in a vehicle. That referrs to an enclosed vehicle. My Staffordshire Terrier liked to hang out on the right floor board of my truck, his choice, not mine. But he also had access the back of the truck.

Razor77 1 year, 7 months ago

That's one of the most goofy-est letters I've read !! DOGS ARE ANIMALS !! Animals are NOT humans ! As much as you have convienced yourself of that it ain't true ! Dogs enjoy rotten food, dead animals, their own and other dogs feces etc. Sure they'll lick you for a pat on the head and a treat ,but they are an animal. I'm all for taking proper care of any animal but they are not humans ! Their minds mostly consist of eating, mating, smelling, hearing etc. Go find a homeless human and buy them a jacket or a warm meal. Here's something else to learn ; Dog's on a chain exercise more than those in a pen. Personally , I don't want no parasites ,smells ,hairs or skin flakes of any animal in my home, and bathing them don't help rid them of all that either !! Thank you.

Beth 1 year, 7 months ago

How 'bout I bring my Samoyed over to your house Ms. Erin...for to be spared from the harsh elements of the vicious southern winter. But then, YOU would be the cruel one, Ms. Hunt. Because Samoyeds thrive being outdoors and become agitated and somewhat prone to destruction when left inside for too long.

Perspective, dear. Perspective.

Tonto 1 year, 7 months ago

Selective reading strikes again. This article was about neglected dogs...abandoned in all but name. Not large dogs, not furry dogs, but dogs that the owners have no interest in. Something that most of the replies apparently did not comprehend as they all extoled the virtues of thier particular dog breed and how they interact with them.

agirl_25 1 year, 7 months ago

I agree Tonto...they missed the point. You too VSU, they have missed entirely the point of the letter. It is the creatures we see tied up in yards with very little or no shelter at all, no fresh water, chained 24/7 and neglected by their owners. Those are the dogs!! And a thank you to georgiagranny for having the sense to understand the point of the letter too.

waltspecht 1 year, 7 months ago

I suggest you read the last two statements to understand what I responded to.

Hoodie 1 year, 7 months ago

My dog only wants to hunt other than that he could care less about you petting him or him being with a pack he gets fed once a day and hunted a couple of times a week in season then he spends every other day on a chain in the yard

Hoodie 1 year, 7 months ago

He's a dog I don't care how he feels! He has a job to do he's performs it well In exchange for feed. Dogs are not humans and should not be treated as such. They coexist with humans and provide a service to us no different than cows-horses-chickens-goats we are the dominant species and rule as such no animal is in the same class as people.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

I just noticed some chewed up pencils, paper and some missing stamps at my house. I'm starting to be suspicious that my own dog wrote this "hit piece" and sent it to the Herald.

Razor77 1 year, 7 months ago

Nobody missed any point this person was trying to make... ""Any excuse for having an outside dog is a poor excuse"" ,was what was written along with.. "" so-called “outside” or “backyard” dog"". If this person was trying to make another point ,it was not done at all. More words were needed. Such as '' I'm not referring to ALL outside dogs " would have been an easy sentence to add, then most of us would not have responded. So what was written IS what was wrote. Please don't don't try to fix it now. Epic Fail if that was the case. Thank you.

waltspecht 1 year, 7 months ago

I believe we all realize there are people out there that have no business owning any pet. Just like there are Parents out there that have no business being a Parent. However, lets look at the dogs alternative. If the major abuse the animal faces is being tied out in a yard, but they have shelter, food and water, then what is the alternative? Put them in a shelter only to be put down in a month? Or give them to a no kill shelter, which seem to be becoming overcrowded. Which is better for the animal? I really don't know for sure, but a death sentence seems to make the yard aa better alternative.

Hoodie 1 year, 7 months ago

Have you not seen stray dogs and cats roaming the city day and night? They are well capable of defending themselves they were living alone long before we came in and gave them jobs! A dog on a chain done correctly is a well behaved beast.

TrixibelleBento 1 year, 7 months ago

I agree with Erin. There was a pit bull pup stuck out in a yard with no shade, no food, and its water bowl was perpetually tipped over. Called Animal Control and the dog disappeared so I didn't have to look at that poor thing chained to a stake 24 hours a day. I don't know whatever happened to the puppy, but it had to be better than where it was.

And yes, I'm the person who calls animal control when I see a dog locked up in a car outside a business. Sorry, I think that animals deserve to be treated with dignity.