Albany woman charged with child neglect after 'horrid' conditions discovered

Katarrah Harris

Katarrah Harris

ALBANY, Ga. — An Albany woman has been charged with child neglect and cruelty after sheriff's deputies discovered that she and her seven children were living in conditions described as "horrid."

Katarrah Danna Harris, 28, was booked into the Dougherty County Jail on Tuesday, charged with seven counts of cruelty to children for what Dougherty County Sheriff's Capt. Craig Dodd says was a clear case of child neglect.

Dodd says that when deputies arrived at Harris' house to serve an eviction notice on Jan. 9, they discovered "a good foot of trash on the floor" of the home.

"The conditions in that house were just horrid," Dodd said. "They could hear the rats scurrying away as they walked through it and amongst it all were seven children trying to live there. This house is the very definition of a threat to their health and welfare."

The children, Dodd said, ranged in ages from one to 12, and were placed in the custody of a relative.

According to warrants filed with the Dougherty County Superior Court, DCSO Lt. Shirley Adams stated that the house had no operating refrigerator, that the floors of the kitchen and bathroom were covered in liquid, and that the main living spaces in the house had piles of soiled clothing, trash and rodent feces.

Comments

VietVet1 1 year, 8 months ago

"she and her seven children were living in conditions described as "horrid."

Sure hope she doesn't loose any welfare! After all, she worked hard to produce seven kids (wonder how many different fathers?)

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

They's some desparate mens out there who would copulate with the likes of her. How much effort does it take to take out the trash? Some people will not lift a finger to take care of themselves or their progeny.

bubbavet 1 year, 8 months ago

It wasn't her finger she was "lifting".

waltspecht 1 year, 8 months ago

Now if ever there were an individual that should be put in jail for life, this is one. If they take the Children away from her, and release her, it won't be long before she has more. She has a demonstrated lack of self control. Probably some dependance issues or psychological issues. Either way, she needs to be seperated from Society to prevent any more breeding.

Cartman 1 year, 8 months ago

She is probably wondering what she did wrong.

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

This is part of the reasons the country has some of the problems it has. She was probably raised like that herself. I am sure she is not the only one that is guilty of her actions.

Royalstar 1 year, 8 months ago

Where was DFACS? Oh I forgot. They were out threatening to take the child or children out of the home of a middle class white family because they were spanked.

LaLaPeachesBee 1 year, 8 months ago

Why must everything in the Albany area be a race issue? I'm black and in no way do I condone this with any children, whether they are white, black, Asian, Latino, etc! Limited thinking makes way for a limited way of life.

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

I WANT TO KNOW WHERE THE NAACP OR ANY OF THESE LOCAL STUMP-KNOCKING REVERENDS ARE. THIS IS ONE OF THE TYPE ISSUES THAT NEED TO BE ADDRESSED IN THE BLACK COMMUNITY. THIS IS NOT AN ISOLATED CASE. STARTED HAVING BABIES AT 16 AND HAS'T STOPPED SINCE. AS VSU SAID, SHE WAS PROBABLY RAISED IN A SIMILAR ENVIRONMENT.

Outtahere 1 year, 8 months ago

I feel bad for the kids. Like VSU said, she was probably raised like that herself. It's sad that the children had to endure filth and neglect. I'm glad they will lay their head down tonight in a better environment (hopefully).

tccvc 1 year, 8 months ago

All I know is whats in the article, and while the conditions were deplorable and this should never happen, my thought is there but for grace of god go I. Warms my heart to see you "god-fearing christian" folk doing the same.

Cartman 1 year, 8 months ago

Poverty doesn't necessarily go with being sorry. As my mom said, "Soap is cheap."

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

There but for the grace of god, a little elbow grease, and a mindset that says get up off your butt and make something of yourself......go I.

oldster 1 year, 8 months ago

Good morning Sister. There, but for the grace of God go I. The source of the saying is attributed to John Bradford of Englad, 1510-1555, who was martyred for his faith.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

Wonder how much welfare she was getting? I'll bet enough to at least buy cleaning supplies to clean the house!! And I am called trash because I live in a mobile home. Geez

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

If your DoCo DFACS is as sorry as some I have worked with in the past, those kids will most likely be back with mama soon. When I worked rural home health we had a similar situation and in our case the sorry case worker said it was in the best interest of the children not to seperate them. What she really meant was "how in the world do you find a foster family willing to take 8 (in our case) kids?" Here you have SEVEN kids and I wonder if you have a foster family willing to take in all those kids at once and wonder if you have a social worker with the same mindset? Maybe she was right, I don't know, maybe it is hard on the kids to be seperated. Who knows? All I know is we saw the kids go back to the sorry mother and the circle of poverty never was broken. I truly do believe social workers for the most part only draw a paycheck. There are a few who truly are dedicated to their jobs but there are SEVEN kids who may suffer for a long time if they are not rescued from this horrible nightmare. It is up to some strong judge to come forward and do something about this. We have laws about owning pets, even laws about adopting pets from pounds....getting them neutered or spayed within so many days, yet this woman was allowed to have SEVEN children?? Something doesn't seem right.

LuLu 1 year, 8 months ago

Amen to that! It says they were released to A relative. That relative probably doesn't want them and may possibly be just as sorry..

LaLaPeachesBee 1 year, 8 months ago

If you can't take care of 7 children then don't procreate! I'm so sick of seeing these women make babies they refuse to nurture. Sickening cycle that never stops.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

That's a benefit of free abortions.

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

DON'T GO THERE. YOU DON'T KNOW THAT.

dickyboy 1 year, 8 months ago

Look...what did she do with the rent money.. at least 2 months due if she was being served an eviction notice..apparently no trash bags in house.. cleaning supplies.. good chance I'm right.. that's why so many grandparents are raising children now

Ihope4albany 1 year, 8 months ago

Have any of you walked in her shoes? Have you wondered, did she have a support network? People are so quick to judge. May God have mercy on us all.

RedEric 1 year, 8 months ago

Over $1 trillion per year spent on welfare. How much more do you want? This is exactly why Margaret Sanger advocated sterilization.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

ihope......you are an enabler masquerading as a "compassionate christian", simple as that. Except that you probably don't even realize it. But not I've told you and you have no excuse.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

God didn't create all the unwanted babies, 2 cretans did. Our culture just does not get it. The welfare system has not worked, is not working and will not work. Until major reformation is undertaken in this country and culture regarding feeding the poor we are just contributing to their personal delinquency and the welfare growth.

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

THATS' IT IN A NUTSHELL. DON'T TRY TO CHANGE THE PEOPLE, CHANGE THE SYSTEM.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

While people may be quick to judge, some of the poorest people I have ever met lived in houses that were so clean I would go home and clean mine (and mine wasnt dirty). With seven kids I bet you even money she was getting a sizeable welfare "check" every month. There is no excuse for keeping a filthy house. NONE. You don't need a support network to clean a toilet or sweep the floor. If you can use an EBT card to buy honey buns and pepsi, you can damned sure use an EBT card to buy comet cleanser and pine sol. This is not about judging someone else. This is about taking responsibility for the lives of 7 kids YOU HELPED MAKE WHEN YOU SPREAD YOUR LEGS.....those kids deserve better than this.

erock 1 year, 8 months ago

Yall have some compassion for this poor woman.Shes got to have 7 more babies now in order to regain her social status.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 8 months ago

This is very saddening. What kind of human beings are these 7 children going to grow up to be?

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Re-producers. What they have been taught.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

You can read all about them in the Jail Column each week in this very paper.