Armed, wheel chair-bound vet scares off intruder

Mark Sikes, a U.S. Army veteran, scared a burglar off after the having his door kicked in around 1p.m. Wednesday. (Richard Hamm/Staff) OnlineAthens & The Athens Banner-Herald OnlineAthens/Athens Banner-Herald

ATHENS, Ga. — Authorities say a U.S. Army veteran who uses a wheelchair wielded a pistol to run off a man who broke into his home near Athens.

The Athens Banner-Herald reports that 53-year-old Mark Sikes was in bed at his home in western Clarke County around 1 p.m. Wednesday, when someone kicked in his front door.

Sikes said he reached into his night stand and grabbed his pistol. He said he then pointed the gun at the intruder and and told him he "better get the hell out."

Sikes said the young man "flew like a bat" and is lucky that he wasn't killed by the veteran.

Athens-Clarke County police and Oconee County sheriff's deputies looked for the suspect throughout the day Wednesday. Authorities continued to search on Thursday.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 2 months ago

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN BOUT!!

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

If he didn't have the gun, who knows what would have happened to him. And they want to take away our guns?

waltspecht 1 year, 2 months ago

Just so you get it right. They want to take away your guns, not their guns.

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

Isn't that what I just said? Our guns??????

FryarTuk 1 year, 2 months ago

No they don't want to take away your guns. What hysteria. They want to take remove military armaments and terroristic weapons. You folks just get lathered up and feed off off histrionics. Go out and shoot some full bottles of orange, cherry and grape sodas if you want to explode something. That's what the "Professional Russian" would do.

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

Don't kid me, before it's said and done they'll be wanting to take away all guns. This is just a starting point. And FYI I am not one of those gun fanatics that has to watch something explode. I bought my gun for one reason only. To attempt to protect myself if need be. The gun is still sitting where I left if when I first purchased it.

FryarTuk 1 year, 2 months ago

And it will be there when you look for it again. Nobody wants your gun but a thief.

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

For now! But wait a few months from now. Someone will be pushing to even take your BB gun away from you. Sounds stupid, but there are people stupid enough to want to do that.

FryarTuk 1 year, 2 months ago

VSU, an armament restriction was in place for 10 years and no one proposed to expand. Get real about this these military armaments need to be removed and a universal background check should be implemented on all gun sales and transfers.

LeeCo 1 year, 2 months ago

How DARE he have a gun in his home. That young man is probably scarred for life after having that EVIL weapon pointed at him. Our government officials should be made aware of this immediately or else others will be encouraged to follow his lead. Sarcasm off.

USTPC 1 year, 2 months ago

Now let's be fair...they do not want to take away all guns, only those that shoot more than one bullet because you shouldn't miss even when you are awakened unexpectedly. If there happens to be two or more intruders well then too bad for you.

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

I thought the sale of handguns will still be legal. Mine is a .38 and I think it holds 6 rounds. I think I would still be able to pump those rounds in to someone should they force their way into my home, huh? Why must you keep insisting "they" want to take away "our" guns. And btw, too bad he didn't kill the SOB, in my opinion. Still, good job and so glad he was not harmed.

RedEric 1 year, 2 months ago

Senator Finestein is pushing a bill to ban nearly 200 types of rifles and pistols. Yours would be safe for now, but the point is they are all safe. The government is NOT going to take away our guns no matter what they pass. The 2nd is for the preservation of the Free State not about hunting. Also, we have laws that felons cannot have any gun. All you have to do is read the police report to see how well that works.

FryarTuk 1 year, 2 months ago

Finestein is proposing to restrict military armaments and high capacity magazines along with expanding universal back ground checks on all gun sales. Very responsible and should be supported.

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

I think before it's all over they will try to take away all guns. This is just the beginning point.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 2 months ago

Notice that no shots were fired. He didn't try to kill the intruder, he didn't need an AR-15, he simply brandished his weapon and that was enough. I guarantee you that young man will think twice before trying to pull a stunt like that again.

bubbavet 1 year, 2 months ago

You are living in a dream world. All he knows is some stupid honky didn't shoot him. When you aim a weapon at someone, you shoot and hit what your are aiming at.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 2 months ago

I like to think that I am living in a civilized world.

What Would Jesus Do, right?

DoctorDorite 1 year, 2 months ago

If someone kicks in my door, NO WARNING ! they're shot on the spot, no warning will be shouted, no questions will be asked. That bad guy needs to kick the doors of the church in and get on his knees to thank God for allowing him more time on earth.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 2 months ago

Are you for or against abortion?

Oh and people like you, not the brave man in the article, are why I am against citizens owning certain types of guns.

DoctorDorite 1 year, 2 months ago

Its got nothing to do with abortion, but someone breaking my door down means there will be less forthcoming taxpayer abortions caused by the likes of him. Shooting him on the spot would've prevented untold future crimes, maybe even saved a few lives too, so cry to someone besides me, I have no sympathy for criminals like you do.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 2 months ago

I was just wondering how you justified it to yourself. That is all.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 2 months ago

Doc, we are friends in this matter. I would have shot too.

DoctorDorite 1 year, 2 months ago

Thanks Sister, Hope we'll always be friends !!

Jacob 1 year, 2 months ago

Too bad it wasn't your house, doc. I know you must be dissappointed. Keep the faith, though. Perhaps next time you will get lucky. Until then, keep on stroking your barrell and dreaming.

DoctorDorite 1 year, 2 months ago

Sir, I've spent time in a combat zone and have as you say "stroked my barrell" for my country and will do it for my home in cases like this, I do wonder what you 2 wussies would have done, maybe cry & beg to him not to hurt you or your family ???

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 2 months ago

What did the gentleman in this article do, rather effectively?

Jacob 1 year, 2 months ago

You are clearly a depraved sicko who is waiting on a chance to shoot another person and have and excuse to do so. I bet you wind up making pants pudding in real life if someone yells boo at you.

MRKIA 1 year, 2 months ago

WHAT KIND OF MORON ARE YOU? HOW IS DOC WAITING ON A CHANCE TO SHOOT SOMEONE WHILE HE'S IN HIS HOME MINDING HIS OWN BUSINESS? THE INTRUDER HAS ALREADY TAKEN A CHANCE TO KILL THE HOMEOWNER AND HAS NO EXCUSE. I AGREE WITH DOC, VIOLATE MY HOME, AND IF I DON'T KILL YOU IT WON'T BE BECAUSE I DID NOT TRY. YOU'RE THE SICKO PUNK, PUNK. ME?DOUBLE A ALPHA PLUS MALE.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't know what is more sickening, what you said or the fact that others "liked" your comment.

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

The article did not state whether the intruder had a gun or not. Guess Mr. Sikes did not know since the intruder flew out so fast. Hopefully the intruder will think twice before busting someone else's door down. The next one pointing the gun at him might not be as nice as Mr. Sikes and may just pull the trigger.

You have to admit it was a good example of using the gun effectively without having to fire one shot. The intruder was wise to haul @$$. The life he saved was his own.

waltspecht 1 year, 2 months ago

Look, first off a smart Lawyer can supena the Herald and determine your true identity. If you are ever actually involved in a shooting they will try to prove you had a predisposition to shoot. In other words you fired a premeditated shot that either killed or injured an intruder in your house. You will spend a great deal of money for your own Lawyer at that point while the other Lawyer tries to figure a way to get ahold of your Homeowners Insurance and an out of court settlement. You may even be charged with one or more of the manslaughter clauses. It is never as cut and dried as you see on TV. So in a case like his, it is best to keep your opinion out of print, and never let it be known to outsiders. There have been cases where an individual had a sign which read Intruders will be shot. Many have been to court over that when they actually shot someone. Plus you will have to pay for a Biological Cleanup of the scene, which isn't cheap. So maybe you should let them run, if they chose to do so. Plus be real careful of what you say. I have been told you first call for an ambulance to show your concern, then you call the police, and then you call your Lawyer. Plus you don't say anything about the shooting until your Lawyer is there. That's advice from a Homocide Detective of 25 years experience.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 2 months ago

If they're inside your house.........you are good to go, walt. Plenty of legal precedent there.

Jacob 1 year, 2 months ago

Yeh Walt, rely on legal advice from the resident Albany Herald forum lunatic. What could go wrong?

waltspecht 1 year, 2 months ago

Sister, it depends on the DA involved and their political ambitions. Plus the Political mood of the community you reside in. I have seen what to me seemed perfectly justifiable shootings go to court and bankrupt the shooter, even tho they were found innocent. Plus there is no way to recover the money spent to defend yourself. You have but to look at that one Miami Officer they tried to crusify. Lost everything but his freedom defending himself. Was eonerated and broke. All because the community Leaders were afraid of a riot and the DA wanted to get elected to a higher office.

DoctorDorite 1 year, 2 months ago

I'll respect your opinion, I'm not familiar with your cop shooting story but you said he was "exonerated and broke". THAT can be overcome but you seem to forget the part where the cop could have been laying dead in a pool of blood had he NOT defended himself. What about the fact he survived and was able to go home to his wife/kids and other family members. I just can't understand why you and 2 others on here seem to think a criminal that kicks someones door down is the "victim" when one defends himself with a firearm regardless of whether a shot was fired or not. The door kicker was "WRONG", Heck-fire, even Ray Charles could see that.

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree one has to be careful. but sometimes it's kill or be killed. One can overcome being broke, one cannot overcome death.

FryarTuk 1 year, 2 months ago

I hope to have the forebearance and courage Mark Sikes has particularly under his circumstances. I am not all sure I would have. What a good example of responsible gun ownership he presents!

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 2 months ago

Sher and Jac you talk so nicely of the criminals and proclaim they should not be shot on site because that would be depraved. I was taught to NEVER point a gun at anything you were not prepared to kill. Mr. Sikes was nothing but LUCKY that when he raised his gun the criminal did not have a gun and in his panic to save his own life began firing at Mr. Sikes. I do not believe in being a vigilantly and hunting criminals. I do believe when the criminal has made the Conscience decision to break the law and invade my private personal property he has also waved all expectations of having a friendly transaction with me. The criminal is the only party who has surveyed the situation and accessed the RISK of his actions and willingly accepted the RISK involved. Because too many bleeding hearts have refused to punish criminals they feel emboldened to continue breaking laws. Many petty criminals would never have grown bolder if they had been punished and put in jail to pay for they crime the first time. All that being said, I pray the day never comes that you have to rethink your so holly peaching to save the criminals when you realize it is your life or his.

I have had the misfortune of having looked up the barrel of a 9mm pointed at my head and I promise you that is not something I will ever risk again. So you and the band of Bleeding hearts can preach all you want but you are preaching about a situation you have only read about and have no idea what it feels like to know someone else maybe holding your life in his hands. At that point you will realise how wise your stand has been.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 2 months ago

MY MAN! This is LIFE versus THEORY.... LIFE wins!

FryarTuk 1 year, 2 months ago

Sis, you realize in the scenario of the courageous veteran that our protagonist came out alive, so I would say your life versus theory construct proved . . . . . what?

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

A dead man can't fight back.

FryarTuk 1 year, 2 months ago

You know that is a bunch of paranoid garbage. Frankly, I do not know what I would do in the courageous veteran's situation. Most folks I know who have shot or killed people wish there had been alternatives. Your thoughts just exclude the rational person. No one on here is arguing not to punish criminals. Hell, most of us on the thread are concerned about the lawlessness in the community but it goes beyond rational concern if you just jump to execution. Mix a little reason with your babble. To you I guess anybody against execution on Sunday would be a bleeding heart liberal.