ALBANY, Ga. -- Several defendants will be going to trial next week in connection to the death of a 20-year-old man who was visiting the Albany area nearly three years ago.
Jury selection is scheduled to begin Monday for the trial connected to the shooting at Brick House Productions that claimed the life of LaShelton Kernard Stanford of Flovilla on Valentine's Day in 2010.
In all, eight defendants are set to go to trial, said Dougherty District Attorney Greg Edwards. The defendants are Cavoris Barney, Jacory Butts, Sean Frazier, Anthony Hawkins, Anthony Seay, Shacoby Seay, Shuntavious Seay and Shenard Smith.
The charges the defendants face include murder, felony murder, street gang participation and interference with government property. As of Friday afternoon, there were no plea deals outstanding in connection to the case, Edwards said.
The fatal shooting followed an argument that erupted in the Schilling Avenue studio where there were dozens of people present. The argument escalated into a fight and spilled over into the parking lot, where someone began shooting around 5:30 a.m. on Feb. 14, 2010, according to initial reports on the incident.
Stanford, who was found to have been shot seven times, had been in town visiting friends and family. A security guard at the establishment sustained a bullet wound to his arm, but eventually recovered.
The studio closed later that month following repeated calls for police and evidence of repeated code violations at the location, which had prompted its alcohol license to be revoked. By that time, it had racked up 30 reported incidents, including shootings, assaults, narcotics violations, liquor-law violations, among other crimes.
Dougherty Superior Court Judge Denise Marshall is presiding over the case.