Squawk of the Day - Jan. 27, 2013

"I was amazed at some of the kitchen scores restaurants have received. Beware because some of those kitchens aren’t cleaned like you might think. Read The Herald get an update on a kitchen that is cooking your food."

Comments

dickyboy 1 year, 2 months ago

If the food tastes good I don't care...... the old greasy spoons always had the best grubs...

dickyboy 1 year, 2 months ago

Hey granny.. I remember when Dentist's didn't use gloves or Doctors...

AuntieDee 1 year, 2 months ago

How many of y'all where gloves at home when you're cooking for your family. I'm just saying....

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe they know that their hands are washed and don't need to wear gloves. You don't know whether the employees have washed their hands or not.

sowegap 1 year, 2 months ago

This reminds me of about ten years (could have been longer) when an event at a local hospital for doctors and their wives was catered by a local restaurant and it seems that quite a few of them got food poisoning that was traced to an employee who used the bathroom and didn't was wash up afterwards and went bsck and finished the dish he was making. Seems like they too much bang for their buck.

Another troubling thing is all these establishments that do not have hot water in the restaurants.

FryarTuk 1 year, 2 months ago

Frankly, we have stopped eating out much. The prices of food and drink are just out of sight. $2.50 for a glass of watered down tea? You got to be kidding me. $36 for a steak? $18 for a chicken dinner? The help-yourself joints have food that taste like they were all cooked in the same pot. Cooking more at home. Eating a bit less and enjoying it more. I started buying groceries at the Harvey's at corner of Slappey and Gordon, very clean store. A treat for us is their roasted chicken on Wednesdays at $3.99.

chinaberry25 1 year, 2 months ago

You should have worked at Lykes and see how it was run. I have also heard the chicken processors are worse. All said and done, not many ever get food poisoning so it must not be as bad as it is stated. Gotta justify their jobs. Overseas at Muslim outdoor markets flies are everywhere on hanging meat and the Muslims multiply like flies. Must be doing them some good.

FryarTuk 1 year, 2 months ago

I spent 4 weeks in Turkey in the fall of 2012 and went to every kind of market in 20 cities. I never saw anything like that. The Muslims in Turkey were the nicest, kindest people you would want to meet. They loved America and forever were bringing us cold water, green apple tea and sweets and for no compensation. For us to sit and talk with them was their delight. My wife and I walked the dark streets of cities from Istanbul to Fethiye and never for a moment felt ill at ease. We have been to deep Africa, Egypt and Morocco and enjoyed the most wonderful people all of whom were Muslim. Why don't you put a sock in your ignorant mouth?

fcarroll 1 year, 2 months ago

Hair nets are required only, not gloves in areas of food preparation Health Food Inspectors check resturants, hospitals, nursing homes, and meat markets. Look for the inspectors report that has to be post in an area visible to the public. Doctors and dentist began wearing gloves due to the HIV and Hepatitis B influx and they have to treat all patients as if they are infectious.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 2 months ago

I always look for a fly....who wants to eat in a restaurant that even a fly won't go to? LOL

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

Ha! Ha! Funny comment, but you never know, the fly could have been in there and died of food poisoning. Like the fly that landed on one of Aunt Bee's homemade pickles on the Andy Griffith show and died.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 2 months ago

LOL I just stay at home and cook--I am a good old-fashioned Southern cook that wast taught how by my mamma and daddy (he was a cook in the Air Force). Learned my lessons well....

waltspecht 1 year, 2 months ago

I had two friends, one was a Plant Sanatarian, and the other an exterminator. If you went to most any restaurant with those two, you never went back. They pointed out everything that was wrong with the place, and you sort of lost your appetite. There were however, restaurants thatpassed their muster. That is where I took the Family to eat. They said it is more a matter of the owner knowing what to look for and teaching their employees than just not giving a darn.

erudite 1 year, 2 months ago

I thought everybody was losing money to that socialist O'blamehim? You have money to eat out? Sheeeeee-itttttttt. A 36$ steak; I don't spend 36$ a week on all groceries. Guess you must be one of those free loaders getting free money from the gov'mint.

erudite 1 year, 2 months ago

who are you calling a liar? I don't spend 36$ a week; hotdogs, bread, eggs, cereal, milk (2x a month), cheese (1x month); coffee (1x month) and creamer. Nothing unless it's on sale; nothing.

I go to Sam's with a friend and buy a case of soup and a big pkg of hamburg and maybe the mutli-pack of mac and cheese.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree erudite...you can buy groceries for less than 50 a week. If you don't get government help, you have no choice. For instance, when I find milk on sale, I will buy two or three gallons and freeze it in ice cube trays. I then take it out of the trays and put it in gallon freezer bags. When I need milk, I thaw the cubes in a pitcher in the frig. You can do real well on less that 50 a week if you have to.

whattheheck 1 year, 2 months ago

You pay your money and take your chances when eating out. Over years of business, travel, I learned to not look into a kitchen. Generally, one can get a decent reading by visiting the restrooms. If there is no soap and it's "dirty", don't eat in that restaurant. The prospects aren't good.

sowegap 1 year, 2 months ago

My sister and I went to the grocery store on Wednesday and later on she called and asked me how much I paid for the groceries I had purchased and I happily told her $36.00 and she was amazed because i had about four bags of meat. Hey those Wednesday deals and specials do make a difference because she thought I had paid over $100 for it. An no, I did not use Food Stamps. That $36 of meat is enough to last me over a month. I used to live to eat, now I eat to live.