Five charged in Worth County bomb threats

SYLVESTER, Ga. — Five juveniles and one parent have been charged in connection with a series of bomb threats that have disrupted school in Worth County this week.

Lt. Ronnie Graddy of the Sylvester Police Department said that a total of five juveniles have been charged with crimes ranging from making terroristic threats to disruption of a public school. The parent of one of the juveniles has been charged with disorderly conduct "as a result of their action upon arrival at the school," Graddy said via e-mail Wednesday afternoon.

Two Worth County schools were evacuated following a second-straight day of threats on Wednesday morning.

Heather Greene, a spokesperson for the school system, said that Worth County Middle school and Worth County Elementary school resumed classes Wednesday .

Those evacuations capped a week of disruptions for the Worth County School System. Reports suggested that a message was found inside one of the schools Wednesday, prompting the evacuations.

On Tuesday, Worth County High School, Worth County Middle School and Worth County Elementary School were each evacuated after a series of bomb threats, including at least one that was made by phone, according a letter sent to teachers by the Worth County High School principal.

Comments

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

Over the years there have been hundreds of bomb threats and just about all in this area were false, but I realize you have to take each one serious, but obviously there are those that think this is funny and have nothing better to do with their lives.

TRUTH101 1 year, 2 months ago

I will take the fights of Dougherty, Monroe, Westover and Albany anyday over this..........I pray this some type of prank and not a serious threat to the kids of Worth Co......

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 2 months ago

There were bomb threats at Westover back in the mid 90's. It was always some kids who wanted to skip school. I know cause I was there.

tocar 1 year, 2 months ago

This is an evil person or persons doing these things. It is not a funny matter to see these students upset and their school day interrupted by someone who is an idiot.
They need to probably enroll in a school of learning so they have something better to do. I hope they find out who this person is and burn him / her to the max.

waltspecht 1 year, 2 months ago

With the ability they have these days to trace the calls, why hasn't this individual been caught. Or are they mailing the threat? Even if Law Enforcement Departments involved don't have the technical equipment to get the Cells, I feel sure there is some agency that does. Plus I feel certain other departments would lend support for a grid pattern layout. Even if the calls are long distance. This jokester has got to find out that the Joke is on them.

Parent 1 year, 2 months ago

From what I heard the threat was written on the bathroom wall. So it has to be a student or students.

jglass 1 year, 2 months ago

When and if they find out who is doing this, they need to make examples of them and give them the highest penalty possible.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 2 months ago

Hard to think this was anything but a prank by a student, but I understand the measures taken. This appears to be the work of an immature kid who needs to understand the impact of his or her actions.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 2 months ago

Ah, I see the article has been updated. My comments seem redundant now.

tocar 1 year, 2 months ago

These delinquents are old enough to know what they have done and need to be punished to the max and parents held accountable too. These are not issues to be taken lightly. Seems as though the parents may not have had any discipline or taught any values in the homes.

tandalward 1 year, 2 months ago

I disagree. You cant always blame the parents. There were 3 of us raised by the same parents and im the only one that has done anything with my life, and I had the best parents in the world. Sometimes these kids just get caught up in the wrong crowd or are just idiots. It doesnt mean they dont have good parents!

Gollygee 1 year, 2 months ago

You've almost got that last sentence correct. You might want to look again.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 2 months ago

I hope these CHILDREN ((used sarcastically) that studying for a history test is a helluva lost cheaper that what they are fixing to go through. $1,500 MINIMUM for attorneys fees plus restitution plus court costs plus probation fees plus time in ydc away from their family and friends. Hope it was worth it....

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 2 months ago

Lets try this again...I hope these CHILDREN (used sarcastically) learn that studying is a helluva lot cheaper than waht they are fixing to go through. $1,500 minimum for attorneys fees plus court costs, plus restitution plus time in ydc away form their family and friends. Hope it was worth it....

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

The worth county police chief said on the news last night that the parents need to teach their children the wrong in what they did. 1 - The parents don't teach them these things 2 - according to the report one of the parents is charged. How can you expect the parent to teach the children from wrong when all they do is say their boy didn't do it. Just like this parent being charged with disorderly conduct. No doubt parents are a big part of the problem.

"Don't go blaming my boy, he didn't do it, he wouldn't do a thing like this, he a good boy '

Like I said once before, if the parents are not going to take responsibility for their childs actions, then they need to arrest the parent as well.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 2 months ago

I guess mamma didn't want to get off the front porch and go down to the school. Too much effort. Couldn't find her flip slips maybe.

fcarroll 1 year, 2 months ago

These kids should be made examples to other kids instead of a slap on the wrist and given a new car so they won't do this again, should have to face prison sentences the same as an adult in the same situation.

tocar 1 year, 2 months ago

These juveniles will be punished, but I doubt it will mean anything to them as to prison sentences. Parents have not cared what these delinquents were doing or whether or not they were living in a structured environment. Too much effort required as Sister_Ruby put it.

FryarTuk 1 year, 2 months ago

Some very good whoopings are called for heah. The adult needs the lash laid to the gluteus maximus, about 10 good strokes with no mercy.