Albany police respond to suspect pursuit, shootings

ALBANY — A theft victim who reportedly followed on the roadway the person he believed to be a suspect in the theft ran his vehicle into a tree, as did the suspect, on Sunday, police said.

Michael Seymour, 58, was in a green 1997-98 Chevrolet S-10.

Albany Police Department spokeswoman Phyllis Banks said Seymour was the victim in a theft that took place at approximately 3:45 a.m. Sunday in which a lawn mower was stolen from his residence.

After failing to find the stolen property at Kitty’s Flea Market, Banks said Seymour was on the way home when he spotted a man who appeared to be taking the missing property from his vehicle.

After the victim spotted the suspect, who was traveling in a silver Toyota, he followed him on several streets through East Albany.

Officers in the area also spotted the suspect, and once on Mulberry Avenue, he bailed out of his vehicle and it struck a tree in the yard at 1408 Mulberry, Banks said.

A brief foot chase ensued, but officers lost sight of the suspect at the intersection of North Carroll Street and Mulberry Avenue.

He was still on the run Monday.

The victim at some point crashed into a tree in the 1400 block of East Tift Avenue and had to be transported to Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital for treatment.

Seymour said he saw the suspect with a weapon in his possession, causing him to back into the tree in fear.

Initial reports suggested that shots were fired, but Banks said Monday she had not been able to confirm that.

In other reports, at least two separate incidents involving gunfire took place during the weekend.

One was reported at 2 a.m. on Sunday at 937 W. Broad Ave.

In that incident, officials say nothing was known other than an unknown person entered an event center at the location — The New U Two — and started shooting.

There were no injuries reported, Banks said.

The other incident reportedly took place on the 600 block of Burke Avenue at around 11:30 p.m. Saturday.

The victim in that incident, Antrellis Keith — who was wanted on three counts of aggravated assault and weapons violations — was shot in the right arm and left thigh by three unknown males while walking in the street, according to Banks.

Keith was taken to Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital for treatment.

A hospital spokeswoman said the shooting victim was in good condition Monday afternoon.