These are the most-read stories at albanyherald.com for the week of June 27, 2013 through July 5, 2013. Click on the headline to read the full story.
1. Paula Deen's ex-husband: Former employee motivated by greed
ALBANY, Ga. -- As the national media circle the Paula Deen story like sharks who smell blood, Paula's ex-husband Jimmy Deen has found himself caught up in the frenzy, beset by desperate "leeches" looking anywhere for some new tidbit to feed tabloid nation.
2. Branch on ‘friend’ Hernandez: ‘It was shocking’
ALBANY — While the New England Patriots organization is distancing itself from embattled former tight end Aaron Hernandez, former Patriots receiver and Albany native Deion Branch isn’t bailing on his ex-teammate just yet.
3. Motorcyclist killed in weekend crash identified
ALBANY, Ga. — A man killed in a weekend crash has been identified as a Marine stationed at MCLB Albany, officials say.
4. Subway sandwich lands Albany man in jail
ALBANY, Ga. — A 27-year-old man is in jail after police say he robbed two people of items at gunpoint including their Subway sandwich meal.
5. An Albany neighborhood is re-tired
ALBANY — A South Albany neighborhood that last year saw hundreds of old tires removed from adjacent state-owned property has been re-tired.
6. One killed, another charged in crash with street sweeper
ALBANY, Ga. —One person is dead and another injured after an early-morning collision with a city street sweeper on the Liberty Expressway.
7. Pedestrian struck by car near Phoebe
ALBANY, Ga. — A pedestrian was injured after being struck in front of Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital Tuesday morning.
8. Lockette closing in on starting spot with 49ers
ALBANY — Albany native and former Fort Valley State star Ricardo Lockette is one of a handful of receivers competing for a starting job with the San Francisco 49ers.
9. Shootout erupts during attempted Iphone theft
JONESBORO, Ga. — A group of men trying to steal an iPhone 5 in Clayton County got more than they bargained for, WSB TV is reporting.
10. Preliminary SACS report on Darton unflattering
ALBANY, Ga. -- Darton State College Vice President of Student Affairs Gary Barnette sat frowning behind his desk. His right hand was tapping lightly on a thick document, its pages festooned with yellow sticky notes.