Firefighters respond to spontaneous blaze

ALBANY, Ga. -- An Albany homeowner lost some property when a shed caught on fire this morning.

According to Allen Cravey, assistant chief with the Albany Fire Department, units of the AFD responded to a call at 2307 South County Line Road at 3:54 a.m. Thursday.

While firefighters were able to control and extinguish the blaze before it spread to other sheds or nearby property, considerable loss of property was involved, Cravey said.

Shed owner and resident Thomas Fudge listed as property lost in the fire as a 1991 Dodge Dakota pickup truck, a 2012 Polaris Ranger and a 2003 Timberwolf 4-wheeler, together valued at about $18,000.

According to Cravey, the origin of the fire was most likely spontaneous combustion of some hay in the back of a wooden trailer.

"The wet hay can generate heat as it dries," Cravey said, "and sometimes it's enough to start a fire."