These are the most-read stories at albanyherald.com for the week of May 31, 2013 through June 7, 2013. Click on the headlines to read the full stories.
1. Digging for artifacts lands man in jail
ALBANY, Ga. — One man's efforts to excavate arrowheads and other Native American artifacts for what investigators claim was commercial gain has landed him in the Dougherty County Jail.
2. Former Albany anesthesiologist takes stand in tax evasion trial
ALBANY, Ga. -- A former Albany anesthesiologist already plagued by legal issues in state court took the stand in federal court Wednesday to defend himself against an indictment contending he evaded paying taxes and defrauded the federal government.
3. Former school chief ordered costly student coding change
ALBANY -- Dougherty County School System IT Support Application Specialist Mary Barkley confirmed Saturday that former Superintendent Joshua Murfree instructed her to change student coding to the state Department of Education that resulted in the district unexpectedly paying an additional $275,000 to Alternatives Unlimited Inc. for its Drop Back In Academy.
4. Husband charged in wife's death
OMEGA, Ga. -- A Colquitt County man has been charged with murder following the fatal shooting of his wife early Sunday, law enforcement officials confirm.
5. Man shot, killed in alleged attempted break-in
WARNER ROBINS — A Warner Robins man was shot and killed early Sunday after he allegedly tried to break into a home on Thomas Boulevard.
6. Vendor files suit in federal court against DCSS
ALBANY, Ga. -- Global Partnership Schools Inc. (GPS) has filed a federal lawsuit in U.S. District Court against the Dougherty County School System alleging breach of contract and unjust enrichment.
7. EMTs, patient killed in Thursday crash
ATLANTA — Two emergency medical workers and a patient they were transporting were killed in a crash with a tractor-trailer early Thursday morning.
8. Hospitals are big business, but they can get too big - Guest commentary
First of all, let me introduce myself. I am an Albany native who came back here 31 years ago to practice medicine. I love the place of my birth, Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital, and I love my community.
9. Man shot, pedestrian killed in separate overnight incidents
ALBANY, Ga. — A pedestrian was struck and killed Friday morning and another person shot in separate incidents overnight.
10. Leslie man wins lottery prize
ATLANTA – A Sumter County man has won more than a half-million dollars in a Georgia Lottery game, lottery officials said.