Breaking News

ASU coach Mike White resigns December 17, 2014

Falcons cut three stars from roster

Atlanta Falcons' Michael Turner runs the ball up field during a game against the New York Giants at the Georgia Dome this season.

ATLANTA — To save almost $16 million under the salary cap, the Atlanta Falcons released running back Michael Turner, defensive end John Abraham and cornerback Dunta Robinson on Friday.

Turner was expected to be released. His base salary in 2013 was $6.9 million and his cap figure was to be $8.9 million. He rushed for 6,081 yards in five seasons with the falcons and scored 60 touchdowns.

General manager Thomas Dimitroff and head coach Mike Smith said at the Scouting Combine last week that more tough decisions would have to be made. Smith said he was open to Jacquizz Rodgers taking on a larger role in the offense after Turner averaged 3.6 yards per carry and faded down the stretch last season.

"As a football coach it is never easy to cut any player, especially veteran players who have been valuable members of the organization," said Smith. "The guys we released today have contributed to the success that we have had over the last five years, and we greatly appreciate their efforts."

Abraham's release saves the team $5.75 million and releasing Robinson brings a $3.795 million savings.

Abraham could have left as a free agent in 2012 but re-signed last March for three years and $16.72 million.

Robinson signed a six-year, $57 million deal with the Falcons in 2010 as an unrestricted free agent from the Houston Texans but never delivered the No. 1 cornerback impact the team expected.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

I guess O'Bama will blame these cuts on Sequestration (his idea).

VSU 1 year, 9 months ago

With this Sequestration issue, I saw Obama speaking on tv today and what was he saying? He was saying he saw progress in the same sex marriage issues. Are you kidding me? With these furloughs and other cuts he is speaking about Same sex marriage issues?

chinaberry25 1 year, 9 months ago

Obama never wants you to concentrate on the subject at hand. If folks do, then they may wake up and smell the roses. They had a teacher in Atlanta area who assigned her students to do a report comparing Obama's beliefs to Stalin and Lenin. This got her in trouble and the reports went away. This is getting pretty bad when a teacher cannot teach history in a proper manner. This very thing should run cold chills down your spine. Get ready and watch Dr. Zhivago., My house would have at lease two other families living here placed by the government. No jobs because the rich have already left Russia.

ZCorp 1 year, 9 months ago

President Obama is a great man, show respect to our Commander and Chief. Plus, this article is about the NFL Falcons. Good Day

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

He's a Putz. I wish I could really comment on what I really think about the Community Organizer In-Chief.

VSU 1 year, 9 months ago

It doesn't bother me seeing Turner cut, but hate to see Robinson & Abraham gone.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 9 months ago

Turner and Abraham were aging, and Robinson was injury prone due to his style of play. I am also shocked to see Robinson and Abraham go. We have our work cut out for us in the draft.

ZCorp 1 year, 9 months ago

Excellent news, look towards to the 2014 Atlanta Falcons season. Moves had to be made. When I go for a Suite at the Georgia Dome, I wish to see quality on the field. Peace

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

Contact O'Bama directly. I think Free Box Seats are in the 2013 Reparations Budget.

PeterWeeStraw 1 year, 9 months ago

What does these Falcons cuts have to do with the President? The crowd is way off base on this one. It's like calling you guys all a supporter of the President when I know you not.