Squawk of the day - March 4, 2013

"I was disappointed to see workers at the Finish Line Snickers Tent pack up and give away cases of product to friends and obvious non runners before noon. It was cold and windy and those runners still to cross the finish line would have benefited from from an energy bar or two. Instead, the after-race runners’ refreshments went home in the car trunks of non runners. It did not go unnoticed by the people who paid to be there."

Comments

rightasrain 1 year, 1 month ago

Why be surprised and disappointed by this behavior; the bottom line is, "Don't inconvenience me...if you can't cross the finish line sooner....too bad; my a$$ is cold and I'm going somewhere to have a drink and warm up." I agree with squawker...this behavior is uncalled for, but hey, you're in Albany "The Good Life City"; don't expect anything more.

waltspecht 1 year, 1 month ago

So do you hafve some tag numbers and names to go along with that accusation? I'm sure Mars and the committee would like to know who you are accussing so the matter can be dealt with.

bubbavet 1 year, 1 month ago

Walt, if they are of minority status and we know if they are. The dog ain't gonna hunt. Mars knows better.

FryarTuk 1 year, 1 month ago

I hope you said something at the time. Like, "hey folks, we got some more runners coming that will enjoy some of the snacks. You might want to wait a bit."

If you come prepared like Sis just whip out the hawg leg, don't point it at them yet, say something like, "You MFers, what ya stealing the groceries fer? Ya' didn't git down to Wally world to cash in ya food stamps yet? Put the goods down or . . . " You get the picture. Works every time.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 1 month ago

Once again, the few will ruin it for the many....

FryarTuk 1 year, 1 month ago

It wasn't ruined. It was great. I'll bet not too many people noticed. I drove around a bit and watched them. I offered a couple of the poor souls a lift. To their credit they just kept stumbling along. Great event all round.

bennydawg 1 year, 1 month ago

Just ask for a case yourself and hand them out to the runners. I know that isnt the honorable thing but would have worked.

VSU 1 year, 1 month ago

I guess those 250 pounders will become 275 pounders after eating all those bars.

chinaberry25 1 year, 1 month ago

Welcome to Albany. Most probably went home with them.

VSU 1 year, 1 month ago

More like the devils will. Thou shalt not steal!

Tonto 1 year, 1 month ago

If you were "disappointed' why didn't you say something, get some names or even descriptions of who were doing it. Nope, instead we get the old "guess what I saw" in the squawk box...not "here's what I did". If you didn't care enough to say something for the benifit of the cold, weary runners still out there on Sat why start playing the banjo on Monday morning? Must have been someone else's job......

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 1 month ago

This is one of the reasons Albany is in this situation. Too many people want to complain, and no one wants to do anything to remedy the situation.

FryarTuk 1 year, 1 month ago

Wait a minute Sherwood you and I both enjoy complaining.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 1 month ago

Yes we do, but we also are doing something about it. I don't know much about you, but I do know that you are positively contributing to this community with your local business.

VSU 1 year, 1 month ago

Don't start beating your drums too loudly Tonto. In due respect you don't know that the squawker did not report the action. Just because it was not written into the squawk does not mean the squawker did not report it. It was a long squawk, no need making it any longer than it was.

WJReady 1 year, 1 month ago

This is one of the reasons why I could not live in Albeny, Just too many people who feel priviledged to be one step ahead of the rest... Unfortunately, it happens on both sides of the coin. No respect for the other guy is the new Albeny MOTTO... I live in one of the most diverse cities in America and WE all look out for each other and certainly would not pull crap like this, also SOMEONE WOULD have stopped it... Good Luck!!!

Mr_Heatmiser 1 year, 1 month ago

How awful that those horrible people only spent 5 hours sitting outdoors in miserable weather on a Saturday morning GIVING AWAY FREE PRODUCT to a bunch of folks who don't have any more sense than to pay someone else for the privilege of running 26 miles. I certainly hope there's an investigation.

FryarTuk 1 year, 1 month ago

As Steve Forbes' wife is so fond of saying "Abolutely!"

dv 1 year, 1 month ago

Mr H, I am one of those "bunch of" folks who don't have any more sense than to pay someone else (to support Willson Hospice House) to run 26.2 miles. I have run many more without paying, on my own. I did not finish in time to get any "Free Product" as you say, but I more than got my money's worth. Can you get that? So sorry if you can't. Point is, those that took the goods home ripped off those that trusted them.

Mr_Heatmiser 1 year, 1 month ago

I have no idea what you mean by "Can you get that" and "So sorry if you can't." Are you asking me if I can get my money's worth by NOT running 26.2 miles in freezing weather? Yeah, I think I am coming out pretty good on that deal.

Also, how exactly is someone ripping you off by not giving you something for free?

WTFwtf 1 year, 1 month ago