Squawk of the day - March 5, 2013

"I know this sounds trivial with all the problems in the world, but the turtles downtown are ugly. Please city fathers, find them a new home."

Comments

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

Are we talking about Turtle Grove Park? If so, I like the turtles...if not, well...

free_ur_mind 1 year, 5 months ago

It's tradition and something that distinguishes ourselves from the rest. If anything, we need to promote it more.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah let's make people aware of it so the tourists of the world will come here to enjoy the turtles. They might help repaint them while they are here, you know like the Habitat college kids come down here to build a house while the neighbors sit on their porches and watch.

PatrickY2K 1 year, 5 months ago

Sister Ruby, Do you like anything? I hope you aren't as miserable as your online persona makes you seem.

trudy2 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm glad you asked Sister Ruby if she likes anything. It just seems by her normal way of posting here that she must live a lonesome life or a very frustrating incident upset her for life. Who knows, however I hope the sun shines on you Sister Ruby...................

Shinedownfan 1 year, 5 months ago

I love the Campbell's Turtle... I have many pictures of it with my daughter and her friends.

Hoodie 1 year, 5 months ago

I'd say get rid of the hooping and hollering natives and Downtown would look just a tad better.

fcarroll 1 year, 5 months ago

Can we find any beauty in this world to squawk about?

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 5 months ago

I love the turtles---they give Albany a uniquness. However, they could use some touch up paint

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 5 months ago

They are about to get a facelift or some will. ;)

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 5 months ago

Come to Nights @D'town and help us paint the Turtles in the Spring.

Spike 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah, nothing like a bunch of Old Men with female screen names sitting in front of their computers all day pitching gripes about everything. Bitterness is a terrible thing.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 5 months ago

I am sure you are referring to SisterRuby. LOL

Kenny36 1 year, 5 months ago

Athens has the Bulldogs....Albany has the turtles.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

Dallas has the cattle. Paris has the Eiffel Tower.

Oldguy 1 year, 5 months ago

Just curious, what is the story behind the turtles. I noticed they appeared out of no where but do not know why or who. Enlighten me.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 5 months ago

The park on Front Street is named Turtle Grove, hence why the turtles are downtown. It was an Albany Tomorrow thing.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

I thought the Charity League initiated the Turtle Movement.

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

I agree with FlunkMonkey. I like the turtles, but like she said, some could use some repainting. It could be a lot worse, at least they are not polecats.

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

I even miss the Aligators....

chinaberry25 1 year, 5 months ago

The turtles came into being around the time of Turtle Park. They are kind of cute, but do need a touch up.

bigbob 1 year, 5 months ago

I think the turtles are perfect for albany, have you seen the speed most people around here move, turtles are a perfect mascot.

jglass 1 year, 5 months ago

I do not remember the signifigance of the "turtles", however when Turtle Park was built our church was very involved with the demolition and building of that park. Volunteers did a lot of work and it was really fun watching this park transform and being a part of this process. I like seeing all of the turtles around. Maybe someday the city will have the funds to repaint the turtles or the sponsors labeled on the turtles might find the funds to repaint them. Sister, my husband and I and our youth group from church have gone on "World Changers" mission trips doing construction work. Those who do this do not mind making a difference in a community. I am quite sure people sit on their porches in ALL communities. However, like I said those who commit to volunteering and making a difference enjoy doing the work.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 5 months ago

Why doesn't the squawker try to help paint them instead? Come on down to the Art Park and we will put you to work.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 5 months ago

"I like turtles" said the kid dressed as a zombie.

jglass 1 year, 5 months ago

Well, you have to have the city's co-operation, you have to have the funds and it appears to me that Albany just doesn't want that help. I can only speak for World Changers. I do not know about Habitat, etc. You just can't up and work on something or make a project. I know personally that we enjoyed doing our work away from home. We got to know each other a little better and spend quality time together as a group even though we worked very hard, it was gratifying. There are probably things being done in Albany that we are just not aware of. For example, our church has partnered with one of the elementary schools in the area and have spruced up the grounds and are being very involved with the school and the children. You know the city is trying to make changes with the appearance of downtown, but so many people are negative about that. So, if anyone wants to do projects in Albany whether they are local people or others, they will only get negative comments.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

We partner with one of the schools too and it makes a difference. We work with scout leaders and also the Albany Museum of Art and several other social groups who work with families. I also think people can go and contribute where they choose and if someone doesn't like it, screw 'em.

Turtles rule!

jglass 1 year, 5 months ago

Fryar Tuk.....................I absolutely agree with you!!!!

kingd00 1 year, 5 months ago

Walt, you bet your sweet a$$ I am.