Staying or leaving?

Gordy Gruhl, the athletic director and boys basketball coach at Deerfield, said it was a sad day to see Tattnall Square and Stratford leave GISA.

MACON — Stratford and Tattnall Square, two Class AAA private school powerhouses from Macon, both voted to severe ties with the GISA and join the GHSA on Monday, opting to leave the all-private school league, which has seen its numbers dwindle over the years.

Mount de Sales, another GISA Class AAA power from Macon, announced earlier that it would be leaving the GISA, and the loss of the three schools will have an enormous impact on the level of competition in the private school league.

The big question is how will Macon’s exodus affect Deerfield-Windsor, which is trying to decide whether to stay in the GISA or make the move to the GHSA.

“We’re looking into it,’’ Deerfield Athletic Director Gordy Gruhl said Monday. “We’re exploring it at this time. It’s something we have to take a look at because of the competition factor, simply because we lost some of those AAA schools. But there are other things to look at than competition. We will have to look at our options and whether it would be a good or a bad thing. I’m sure our board will make the right decision.’’

DWS, which is arguably the most successful athletic program in all of GISA, doesn’t have much time. The school would have to declare that it is leaving and joining the GHSA by April 1.

It’s much easier for the Macon schools such as Mount De Sales, which decided earlier to leave the GISA and join the GHSA, Tattnall Square and Stratford to move to the GHSA because those schools would be playing in GHSA regions with other private schools.

If DWS joins the GHSA, the athletic teams would almost certainly be playing in Region 1-A, which consists of all public schools. The GHSA’s recent decision to split public and private state championships in Class A has had its problems and critics because postseason berths are decided on a rankings system.

DWS could possibly have one of the top teams in a region full of public schools and still not qualify for the private school state playoffs because of the ranking system.

Monday’s announcement does leave a huge hole in the competition in this part of the state and hurts Deerfield because Stratford and Tattnall Square were great rivals of Deerfield, not only during the regular season but especially in the state playoffs.

“Certainly, we hate to lose some of our biggest rivals over the years,’’ Gruhl said. “Mount de Sales left earlier so those are three schools that we have had a long history with. If we stay we will miss them. It’s a sad day to see them go.’’

Comments

The_Dude 1 year, 8 months ago

Can you imagine the possibilities... Deerfield vs. Mitchell Co. in swimming. Deerfield vs. Randolph-Clay in tennis. Deerfield vs. Terrell Co. in baseball. Deerfield vs. Stewart Co. in golf. Those are some classic matchups. I can't wait.

Noonan 1 year, 8 months ago

In the GHSA, the smaller sports compete in Areas, not Regions. If you do a little research, you will find out who competes in these Areas in golf, tennis, literary, etc.

The_Dude 1 year, 8 months ago

That's no fun. I was looking forward to these sure-to-be barn burners. Deerfield vs. all of the Region 1-A literary powerhouses would have been classic.

PeterWeeStraw 1 year, 8 months ago

Where are all those critics that talked private vs public schools. They should be ranked versus public schools as one of the best teams ever. Now they are depending on "the board". Can you here the apprehension in there comment the bad wolf the "public schools". Oh yea they are going to 1A. There was a long list of supports when these were safely in the private sector. Where are the supporters bragging about how good these teams will be now? It's time to put the big girls panties on I love it...

gotanyfacts 1 year, 8 months ago

Obviously, you did not get your education from Deerfield (evidenced by grammar, spelling and an inability to articulate a coherent thought. To what do we owe this jealous rant?

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

I was similarly not educated at Deerfield, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn recently. Allow me to translate for you. He is suggesting that the rich and priveledged children will have a tough go, playing contact sports against an open field of competition. BTW, it would sound more clever and condescending when you critique the grammar of others, if you check your own first. Then again, I wasn't blessed with your superior education from Deerfield, so what do I know?

gotanyfacts 1 year, 8 months ago

Please let me know what my errors were. I'm willing to learn and will complain to the folks at Microsoft regarding the shortcomings of their spelling and grammar check. Your reference to "rich and priveledged" (Microsoft says it should be privileged, but what do they know) suggests some sort of jealousy. So, it appears no translation was needed. Like you, I was not educated at Deerfield. Do you like me better now?

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

Each open parenthesis gets a closed one later. Now you have one more fact. I don't like you any more or less that before. I had no opinion. Still don't.

gotanyfacts 1 year, 8 months ago

Called a typo... missed it multiple times...My bad... sheepish grin... Since you sounded like you have a negative opinion of Deerfield, I thought not being educated there might raise me a bit in your eyes. .. Forlorn frown.

PeterWeeStraw 1 year, 8 months ago

Jacob he knew exactly what was being said my brother thank you for giving him the low low. He still might not get that either. He probably somewhere in the middle knowing reality is about to set in for the powerhouse of private schools.

PeterWeeStraw 1 year, 8 months ago

That was not support for DWS that was a personal attack and that is not what this is about. I am above those small comments from Mr. Jab mouth. You talk tough online but we are talking sports at this point. Speak to that...

gotanyfacts 1 year, 8 months ago

I guess you were just trash talking and I jumped in with a "yo mama"! Humblest apologies!

albanyman 1 year, 8 months ago

Please use spell check or a dicitonary when posting as to not look like a maroon!

mrcvsjr 1 year, 8 months ago

This would be a great move for this coverage area. We could finally get a clear cut answer on how good Deerfield really is in football and basketball, because we all know outside of Lee County, there is no public school worth mentioning as far as baseball is concerned.

The_Dude 1 year, 8 months ago

Who cares about those two sports? I want to see how their soccer team stacks up. Someone remind me, who won the Region 1 soccer title last year?

Noonan 1 year, 8 months ago

GHSA Single A Soccer Area 2: Brookstone, Dooly County, First Presbyterian, Georgia Military, Pacelli. Add to this DWS, Tattnall, Stratford, and Mt De Sales and you have a competitive league.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 8 months ago

What about Sherwood??? We have been a powerhouse for years as well!!!! lol