By Rachel Shirey
STOCKBRIDGE — Though the city is expected to receive more than $150,000 in grants for summer road projects, taxpayers will still have to contribute 30 percent.
The City of Stockbridge will receive a grant of $153,933 to assist with local milling and resurfacing road projects from the The Georgia Department of Transportation’s (GDOT) 2013 Local Maintenance and Improvement Grant (LMIG) program.
The City of Stockbridge is required to make a 30-percent match on the grant funding, totalling $46,180.
The LMIG program assists cities and counties in the care and expansion of local roads and streets in addition to its primary responsibility of providing for the safety, maintenance and growth of Georgia’s federal and state highway system.
City Administrator David Milliron said the City of Stockbridge selects roads for the LMIG grant program by judging safety hazards, asphalt condition, traffic load, age of road and date of last overlay.
“Stockbridge is committed to continually working to make transportation improvements throughout the city,” said Mayor Mark Alarcon. “The resurfacing of roadways that this grant will help fund is an important part of those improvements. On behalf of the City Council, the city is very appreciative to the state Department of Transportation and to our state legislative delegation for its continued support of our community.”
As many as 700 Georgia counties and cities applied to Georgia DOT for LMIG grants.
The department is disbursing about $110 million in LMIG funds based on population and miles of local streets and roads in each jurisdiction.
City roads slated to be milled or resurfaced with the grant money include:
• Tye Street, to be resurfaced from Red Oak to Rosenwald Circle by June 3
• Childs Street, to be resurfaced from Tye Street to the Cul-de-sac by June 3
• Nolan Street, to be resurfaced from Tye Street to Berry Street by June 3
• Church Street, to be resurfaced from Berry Street to Second Street by June 3
• Parkwood Drive, to be resurfaced from Davis Road to West Burke Street by June 3
• Club Drive, to be milled and resurfaced from Club Drive to Creek Circle by Aug. 5
• Club Circle, to be milled and resurfaced from North Henry Blvd to Shields Road by Aug. 5
• Creek Circle, to be milled and resurfaced for about a 2,500-foot stretch near Davis Road by Aug. 5
• Club Place, to be milled and resurfaced from Club Drive to the cul-de-sac by Aug. 5
• Club Court, to be milled and resurfaced a 300-foot stretch near Club Circle by Aug. 5
• Wren Court, to be milled and resurfaced from Club Circle to the cul-de-sac by Aug. 5
• Stockview Terrace, to be milled and resurfaced from Creek Circle to the cul-de-sac by Aug. 5