H.E.A.R.T. distributes 500 pairs of new shoes to DCSS students

Turner Elementary School Principal Gail Solomon talks to students in the schools lunch room with bags of shoes in the background. H.E.A.R.T. distributed 200 free pair of athletic shoes to needy students Friday and will distribute 300 more pair next week. In the past five years the group has provided more than 1,900 free pair of shoes to Dougherty County elementary students.

ALBANY, Ga. -- Some Dougherty County School students were all smiles Friday as 200 pair of new athletic shoes were distributed to kids at Jackson Heights and Turner elementary schools.

Shoes from The H.E.A.R.T. (Hands Extended Across Reaching Together) plans on distributing 300 more pair next week at Northside, Magnolia elementary schools and International Studies Charter School.

H.E.A.R.T. CEO Anne Johnson Milledge said she began the organization in 2009 after she saw a student who was using a trash bag to hold his sneakers together. "Every child needs a pair of shoes so this was an easy way to reach all of the kids in need," Milledge said. "Shoes from the HEART provides shoes for K-5th Grade children to promote physical activity, participation in athletic programs, and personal development (self-esteem, confidence)."

Milledge said the initiative goes beyond just a new pair of shoes.

"We don't just provide a pair of shoes for the children, we participate in their success. We partner with the school system by hosting or linking with other organizations in mentoring our children through seminar and workshops," she said. "We provide motivational speaking, support Career Days, Read Across America, sit on the School-based Health Care Advisory Board, direct Youth Summits, Back-to-School Expos and the list goes on and on. We want to deter gang participation, violence and juvenile delinquency by instilling in the younger generation core values: such as, honesty, integrity and pride."

Under Armour joined the organization to offer a discounted rate for the shoes, whose purchase was funded by Procter & Gamble, Sam's Club, Mount Zion Baptist Church, several other local churches and individual donations.

"The community has been very instrumental in making this distribution possible," Milledge said. "We want to share the good things going on in our community and the impact corporate America is having in helping our children succeed."

H.E.A.R.T has distributed more than 1,900 pair of shoes over the past five years.

Comments

rightasrain 1 year, 1 month ago

I wonder how many of these shoes (if any) went to white kids...I'm sick and tired of blacks in this country getting (expecting) everything for nothing. I can't afford to purchase these name brand shoes for my child either; WalMart specials once a year at best.

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 1 month ago

Dude, if a private organization wants to give kids new shoes, I applaud them. Why don't you give H.E.A.R.T a call and see if you can get a pair for your kid?

dmyers80 1 year, 1 month ago

I agree Terry, I'm sure they would be willing to help... I spend a lot of time at both schools mentioned ,and believe me the kids needed them... I also would like to say from what I've seen, the parents dont ask for them, the teachers send in the names of kids in their class who dont have adequate shoes..... Now rightasrain, if youre serious about you kid needing shoes (not just trying to make a point that the blacks get everything) If H.E.A.R.T. cant help you, I know several orginazations that can and will... so please try and let me know the results.

rightasrain 1 year, 1 month ago

dmyers80, you nor Terry.Lewis can continue looking through rose colored glasses as it is your decision to do so; however, I did not say I could not purchase my kid new shoes, I did say that they were not the "name brand" but purchased at WalMart; and YES, most do expect everything given to them. Why do you think so many are on the government dole for generation after generation and nothing changes? They are raised with the "I'm entitled" mentality. Stay on your soapbox and I'll remain on mine.

dmyers80 1 year, 1 month ago

You were the one who said " I cant afford to purchase these name brand shoes"... Under Armor is a popular brand but not for shoes, a pair if kids under armor shoes might cost $30... Now since you said its the blacks who get everything , and are on the government for generation after generation, let me throw some numbers at you... Of the total Welfare recipients... 38.8% White.... 37.2% Black.... 17.8% Hispanic....2.8% Asian... Now there are a few different studies, depending on the year, so on some the Black % is 2% higher and the hispanic is 2% lower... The point I'm trying to make is everyone is getting their share of the government dole, so its not just giving to one group of people ,because we both know in the world we live in today if it was just the blacks ( or any one group of people) being helped, It would have been done away with long ago. I believe that there are people of all races who need help... Did you know that a person can qualify for welfare (TANF) with a job and making up to $1,000 a month.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 1 month ago

H.E.A.R.T. (Hands Extended Across Reaching Together) now that's a creative acronym. I wonder how much a CEO of a non-profit like this makes every year? Is there means-testing to determine who gets the new shoes?

You know these are the same corporate entities (P&G, Under Armour) who get "tax loopholes" from making donations like this that O'Bama hates so much. Right? And if He did away with these "loopholes" would they continue to donate?

I know there are many kids in Albany who need a new pair of shoes. They need a Daddy too and they need a warm, caring family.

Jacob 1 year, 1 month ago

Why do you hate poor people?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't hate poor people. I hate the behavior that creates poor people and keeps them poor. I hate mens who father children and runnoft to the next female who is willing to bed him down. I hate never-ending handouts that remove the incentive for people to make the necessary effort to take care of themselves and their families. That's all.

cleanup 1 year, 1 month ago

Listen, Everyone, it is better to give that to recieved, I believe that statement was not made for blacks or whites, please don't hate , just smile and participate. GOD LOVES YOU!!!!!!! I WISH H.E.A.R.T WOULD EXTEND THEIR HEARTS TO ALL THE SCHOOLS that would be nice. lets not knock what peoples do for our childrens just be thankful.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 1 month ago

I wish peoples knowed how to rite good and correct. God love that too.