Tiger Woods is all smiles after winning the WGC-Cadillac Championship on Sunday. Woods led wire-to-wire to secure his 17th World Golf Championship win — the most of any player in pro golf history.

MIAMI — Tiger Woods sent out a Masters warning shot with his second win of the year, a convincing two-stroke victory at the WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral on Sunday.

Composed throughout and deadly on the greens, Woods posted a one-under-par 71 for a winning total of 19-under, with fellow-American Steve Stricker runner-up after shooting 68 in the final round.

Stricker could have been credited with an assist, having given his rival a 45-minute putting session Wednesday.

Woods, who needed just 100 putts in the four rounds, was quick to acknowledge the role his closest challenger had played in his week.

“I played well, thank you Steve for the putting lesson. I felt good about how I was playing, I made some putts and got rolling,” he said.

Phil Mickelson, Australian Adam Scott, Spain’s Sergio Garcia and Northern Ireland’s Graeme McDowell were all tied for third, five strokes behind Woods.

Scott shot the best round of the day and the tournament with a bogey-free eight-under-par 64 on Sunday.

Woods had claimed his first win of the year at the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines and continued his excellent record in World Golf Championship (WGC) events with a 17th triumph — the most of any player in golf history.

The victory was also his seventh in this tournament in 13 starts and his fourth triumph at Doral.

It marked his fifth U.S. tour win in his last 19 events and added momentum to his quest for a first major championship since the 2008 U.S. Open when he tees it up next month at Augusta.

McDowell, playing with Woods, created some early pressure with birdies on the first two holes, but he lost ground with a bogey at the fifth and his challenge faded with another on the par-four 11th.

The Northern Irishman finished with a double-bogey on the final hole after being forced to take a drop when his approach found the rocks at the edge of the water guarding the green.

“That six on the last leaves an extremely sour taste in my mouth,” said McDowell. “But all in all I am ecstatic at the way I am playing. He was tough to catch. He was always kind of making me press.”

Woods, who went into the final round with a four-stroke lead, never looked in danger of losing his grip on the top of the leaderboard and a wobble at the end, with bogeys on the 16th and 18th, was only a minor blemish on what has been an excellent week for the 14-times major winner.

Woods has looked in control from tee to green and his form will deservedly make him favourite for the Masters.

“That’s how I know I can play. That’s the thing. To be able to bring it out a couple of times so far this year and then be able to close and gets W’s - that’s nice.

“Any time I can win prior to Augusta, it always feels good,” he said.

Immediately after his round, Stricker was asked about whether he regretted providing putting help to Woods before the tournament, given that he was only three shots away from victory over his friend.

“At times you kind of kick yourself...but it’s the nature of the game, we help each other out,” he said, but later noted that his help may have been for the broader good.

“He’s got a lot of talent and he might have done this without my help. But it is good to see him (like that), it’s good for the tour and I’m happy with the way I played,” said Stricker.

World number one Rory McIlroy ended a week of work on his swing troubles with a confidence boosting 65, which moved him into a tie for eighth place nine strokes off the pace.

Comments

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 7 months ago

KEEP KICKING BUTT TIGER!!!!!! GO TIGER GO!!!!! 76 PGA wins, only 6 to go to be the all time leader!!!!! Where is Phil Mickelson, Where is Rory??? Where is Steve Stricker????? I will tell you......NO WHERE CLOSE!!!! TIGER RULES GOLF!!!! DEAL WITH IT.....

VSU 1 year, 7 months ago

Tiger sucks! He only wins the small tournaments. When's the last time Tiger won a major tournament like the Masters, US Open etc.? Last year they predicted Tiger to win the masters and he fell flat on his face. He won't win it this year either. Tiger is still washed up and should retire!!! DEAL WITH IT.......

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 7 months ago

Ahhhh, my plan works to perfection.........I knew your horns would not let you keep from commenting here. Your white sheets keep tugging at your soul while Tiger kicked all those MAJOR BUTTS in one tournament!!! Tell me VSU.....How does it feel to watch Tiger win?????

VSU 1 year, 7 months ago

It twernt no plan. I knew you would make some stupid biased comment giving undeserved praise for Woods winning a minor tournament and you didn't dis-appoint me, so it wasn't your plan that worked, it was my intuition in knowing you would make a stupid comment. So basically you played right into my hands.

I didn't watch it, yeah he won (A small tournament) but he won't win the Masters because Tiger chokes on the big ones. Ha Ha Ha.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 7 months ago

He has already won the Masters before....no big deal.....

VSU 1 year, 7 months ago

When 8 years ago? I'm talking current history, not ancient history. Even your boi Mickelson has won the masters since Tiger won it.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm glad to see Tiger getting back to his original form. He still has a long way to go, but a win is a win no matter where the course is located.

VSU 1 year, 7 months ago

Yeah, winning a jabroni tournament is a win, but wait until the masters come up, we will see him choke and throw hois usual temper tantrum.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 7 months ago

Q: Who did he beat in the WGC-Cadillac Championship?

A: The world's best golfers

VSU 1 year, 7 months ago

Doesn't matter, he will choke at the masters. (A major tournament) It's not about winning, it's about winning the big ones and he hasn't done that in a long time.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 7 months ago

Good point Sherwood_Eagle.....Tiger is the best ever....To be only 37, he has 76 PGA wins....and it took Sam Snead the age of 45 to get 82 wins ....So Tiger is on pace to catch him. He has gotten the fire back and those who hate him can start gritting their teeth again.....lol I love it.... GO TIGER GO!

VSU 1 year, 7 months ago

You'll be grinding your teeth when Tiger chokes and throws a temper tantrem because he realizes he still sucks and at age 37 realizes he is already over the hill. Go ahead and love it, but you won't be loving it when I am proven right. Tiger hasn't won a major tournament in what 5 years? At least since his wife got her senses back and divorced the sore loser. LOL. That right Tiger Go Tiger go and don't come back. Ha Ha Ha

VSU 1 year, 7 months ago

You're right! Tiger could use some home training. Maybe then he wouldn't throw those temper tantrems when he loses.