Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez said he struggled with the decision on whether or not to retire, but long talks with his family — and countless messages from fans — persuaded him to come back.

ATLANTA — Free agent tight end Tony Gonzalez will take one last shot with the Atlanta Falcons.

Gonzalez told FOX Sports that he has informed the Falcons he’s returning and is close to a new contract that will put him on the field another run at a Super Bowl ring.

“After discussing it with my family and really, truly struggling with this decision, I informed the Falcons that I would like to return for one more shot,” Gonzalez told FOX Sports. “Considering how this season ended, I wanted to give it another run with (quarterback) Matt (Ryan), Smitty (head coach Mike Smith) and the guys we have in there. It was the first time I had won a playoff game and hopefully coming back once more we can take it one step further.”

The 13-time Pro Bowler is the all-time leading receiver among tight ends and second to Jerry Rice in all time receptions with 1,242. He told FOX Sports that he had decided to retire, and was content, but the lure of playing in his first Super Bowl seemed too good to pass up. Last season, he had 93 receptions and eight touchdowns, then had two more TDs in the postseason. The Falcons lost to the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship Game.

“I was done, I thought I had my mind made up,” said Gonzalez. “This whole year I knew it would be my last, but the way our final game ended and talking to all the guys in the locker room, in the end it was too difficult of a way for me to step away from the game. It’s not often in a career you’re around a group like we have down in Atlanta.”

To keep playing, Gonzalez turned down several offers from television networks, and had made certain commitments to his son Nikko for what he thought would’ve been his first season home in California.

“I have to say also I was pretty overwhelmed by the fans and how much they reached out to me,” Gonzalez told FOX Sports. “It was really something. They sent me all these videos, posts on twitter, Facebook, things like that -- a bunch of different messages hoping I would return. Really makes you put things in perspective. I am coming back for one reason and one reason only, the chance to win a Super Bowl.”

Comments

VietVet1 1 year, 4 months ago

Great news. This fan wishes him the best.

beenhereawhile 1 year, 4 months ago

Great News! I hope Tony has another great season!

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

I had a feeling he would come back one more year. Good going.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 4 months ago

He is too old and too slow......Atlanta needs to start looking for a nice big Tight-End from the SEC and sign him anyway, b/c Gonzo will be hurt by game 4 and Atlanta will be hurt...

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

Bullsh*t blubbersmith. Just two days ago you said sign him up. He could out catch and outrun you any day of the week and 3 times on Sunday, and that's after giving you a 50 yard head start and him wearing leg weights. He will play all 16 games.

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

NFL NOTEBOOK: Gonzalez has demands if Falcons want him to return; UGA's Jones cleared to entire draft

bubbasmithredneck 2 days, 3 hours ago

Give him what he wants!!!! pay him!!!!

That is what you said word for word, letter by letter, and now you are saying he is too old and slow etc. What a moron! Ha Ha Ha You're a trip.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 4 months ago

I did say that...and yes, pay him b/c he deserves it and earned it...But atlanta needs to look for a BIG , FAST , Back UP....NOW!!! Thats just smart thinking....Gonzo has earned the right to get a big pay-check....but he is still too slow....and you VSU never played football and have no idea what the game demands. Nerds like you stayed in the stands while us real athletes got it done!! This aint private school soccer, or tennis....This is the NFL!!! and GONZO needs a back up........

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 4 months ago

Don't be dissin' private school sports!

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

Us real athletes, give me a freakin break. LOL! LOL! ROF! LMAO! And I am sure you are a former heisman trophy winner. If anybody believes that I have ocean front property on the moon I can sell you real cheap. If I stayed in the stands, that's closer to the game than you have been. You're just a fat out of shape pot bellied sweathog sitting on the recliner being an armchair coach with a beer in one hand and a bag of chips in the other. How do you know they won't draft a good TE in the draft and have him learn on his first year under Gonzalez? Maybe you need to wait and see what they do before opening your piehole on something you know nothing about except running your mouth. You're trying to answer questions that haven't even been asked yet. Even if the question was asked, you would not know the answer. He could still outrun you any day of the week, even if he had a pulled hamstring or a twisted ankle. He keeps himself in tip top condition, and he will play all 16 games.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 4 months ago

Oh Sorry Sherwood......I like Sherwood.......lol

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

And I bet private school tennis or soccer players knows more about the NFL than you'll ever know. The only thing you know about the NFL is what you see when you press your remote control button to watch a game on tv.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 4 months ago

Awwww, did I strike a nerve "VSU-NERDY BOY"?????? I see, I see, said the blind cat......lol.....You are nothing but a private school geek who aint never played nothing but checkers! Of course he can out run me fool...I am a senior citizen...My football days have been long gone many moons ago.....(But I bet I can still beat you) You are just a little boy who got kicked off the kick-ball team and never recovered. So, now all you do is run your mouth like a whining little girl. Now back to the issue at hand.....Gonzo is a great TE, but the falcons need a new fresh strong back up. Gonzo will get hurt and his playing time may be limited. This is not baseball. This is a full contact sport, and Gonzo's old bones cant handle it much longer. But he deserve the cash, so I repeat....PAY HIM!! But be smart and go after that TE from Alabama, LSU, or Florida.

See ya Nerdy Boy!!!

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

Yeah it must have been rough playing two hand touch football with the little girls in your neighborhood right blubbasmith?. I could beat you with both hands tied behind my back, and I imagine you are bigger than me with that 200 pound gut sticking out in front. Gonzalez is in tip top shape and could probably play 5 more years if he wanted too. He will play the entire season. The falcons so far have made all the moves I hoped they would make. I said 2 months ago the Falcons need to get rid of Turner. Bingo he is gone. I said a month ago, the Falcons need to try to keep Gonzalez one more year and draft a good TE to work with Gonzo. Bingo, Gonzo is back for one more year. I said two weeks ago, once they get rid of Turner, they need a solid running back with speed who can catch in the open field and Bingo, They just signed Stephen Jackson who can do just that. You say this is not baseball? Thanks for clearing that up. You are not as dumb as I thought you were.