Squawk of the Day - March 14, 2013

"I heard someone say that they would not attend a Baptist church because the Baptists are judgmental. Isn’t that ironic?"

Opinions in The Squawkbox are those of the public and do necessarily reflect the opinions of The Albany Heral

Comments

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 1 month ago

Not really.

i·ron·ic (-rnk) also i·ron·i·cal (-rn-kl)

Poignantly contrary to what was expected or intended.

Usage Note: The words ironic, irony, and ironically are sometimes used of events and circumstances that might better be described as simply "coincidental" or "improbable," in that they suggest no particular lessons about human vanity or folly.

redneckgourmet 1 year, 1 month ago

Another glittering jewel of the public education system. And, in my opinion, I think the squawker meant hypocritical. But, I'm not a mind-reader. Yet...

alleebrin 1 year, 1 month ago

Well, let's get real here. It's the pot calling the kettle black! Thank you, Sherwood, for setting everybody straight. lol

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 1 month ago

Anybody been listening to Alanis Morissette's first album recently?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 1 month ago

Jagged Little Pill.......kinda stick in tha throat, huh?

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 1 month ago

Isn't that the album with the song, "Ironic"? The song that is, in fact, ironic because none of the examples in the song are ironic.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 1 month ago

No Pope selected from the USA......hmmmmmm, I wonder why......

fcarroll 1 year, 1 month ago

People in most churches, banks, schools, the work force are judgemental or any other walk of life. It is our actions and manners that cause people to be. I go to a baptist church, and do not find that the members there are any more judgemental than any other church that i have visited. My God said judge not lest ye be judged, he is the only one that i allow to judge me. Are we lookiing for an excuse to not attend church?

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't attend church because I am tired of people who are so busy being Christian that they no longer DO Christian....

daisymae 1 year, 1 month ago

The difference between a baptist and any other denomination....any other will speak to you in the liquor store. Or may favorite, why do you take more than one baptist fishing with you ? If you only take one, they will drink all your beer.

Bulldawg 1 year, 1 month ago

Oh, that's real funny... Oh so mature. I guess you must spend a good bit of time in the liquor store. Daisymae, I think it's time you go and see what Jethro is up to.

RedEric 1 year, 1 month ago

And who said churches have no sense of humor? I attend "name your church" therefore I am so righteous and godly that I glow at night. It is blasphemy to call me or my church humorous.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 1 month ago

Shortly after Lighthouse Liquors opened on Old Dawson Road, my daughter and I went there to buy wine, she said "Wow, Mommy, this store is nice. How come we never come here?" I told her, "We are Baptist, we are not supposed to come here." :)

Broken_to_bits 1 year, 1 month ago

This is one of the many reasons people who are in church for the real reason you go to church get a bad name. Not to mention lying, cheating, and adultery.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 1 month ago

Please don't drag us into your domestic squabble. You are making yourself look worse by airing your dirty laundry on albanyherald.com. Man up and show some class.

Bulldawg 1 year, 1 month ago

I think the squawker is saying that he or she can judge a Baptist or Baptist church, but the Baptist church cannot judge people in return. The logic is very flawed. I hear people say all the time that the church is full of hypocrites so they choose not to go. Saying that the church is judgemental or hypocritical is just another excuse to rationalize not attending church.

chinaberry25 1 year, 1 month ago

I just hope that you are a Christian. It is the only thing that really matters. As far as being a certain religion, it does not matter to God. You obviously are not one because the Bible tells you about this sort of thing. When you stand before God, he will judge you as a Baptist because that is what the scripture teaches. Judge not that ye be judged.

Bulldawg 1 year, 1 month ago

Who are you talking to? God does not judge you by your denomination, where on earth did you read that in the BIble? The Bible says that ALL will be judged for what they have done in their lives. It's called the great white throne judgement. Look it up in Revelation. And Yes, I am a Christian.

alleebrin 1 year, 1 month ago

Well, one doesn't need an "excuse" to not attend church. Why would one choose not to join a country club? It's too expensive, I don't like the people, don't run it like I'd like, too far away, not convenient, etc., etc. Church is a business and it's run like a business; and if you wish to belong to the church, then pay your dues and abide by the rules of the church. It ain't complicated at all!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 1 month ago

Like Woody Allen said, I would not belong to any organization that would accept someone like me as a member.

DRTexas 1 year, 1 month ago

Groucho Marx said it first.

Cartman 1 year, 1 month ago

Why do those who do not attend church feel that they need to explain the reason? If you're feeling guilt, just talk to the Lord about it. But there is no reason to criticize the people that do attend. Your actions are no more or less justified by what others do.

cratergs 1 year, 1 month ago

Jesus said "come". He didn't say you could only come if you were baptist, catholic, lutheran, morman, etc. or if you follow a specific set of rules or dressed a certain way. Jesus died, put away the law and created a new covenant with His people. If you are looking for something different, try logging on to www.crossthebridge.com on Sunday mornings or Thursday evenings and watching the livestream. It could be what you are looking for.

cleanup 1 year, 1 month ago

The bible says judge NOT, I think it's ironic for some one to feel that way, maybe they was sitting beside an ironic person, please, what ever church you attend ... DO NOT let nothing steal your JOY............ before you go to church pray first

ontario1966 1 year, 1 month ago

I really do hate this so called Bible Belt? Here in Geaorgia they are nothing but PHONY!

Jacob 1 year, 1 month ago

You poor thing. Who is holding you here at gunpoint?

FryarTuk 1 year, 1 month ago

It's not "Geaorgia" o66, it's "Gawja". Now get the hell out of here and get back to your -4 C weather.

DRTexas 1 year, 1 month ago

Don't come to Texas. We won't like you either.

D_Zaster 1 year, 1 month ago

If a Christian is more concerned about what God thinks of them, they have little care for what others may think.

WTFwtf 1 year, 1 month ago

Ok numbbskulls. That WAS an acceptable use of ironic. Its got nothing to do with how u or anyone else interprets an ancient book or how hypocritical this or that church is. But the statement was a proper use ofnironic. No dictionary needed. And btw there is no god.