0

Chemical fumes lead to evacuation at ASU

ALBANY, Ga. — Fumes from an unknown chemical prompted the evacuation of the ACAD building at Albany State University Friday, Albany Fire Department officials said.

Chief Steven Burns with AFD said a hazardous material unit responded to the scene around 12:15 p.m. to determine the origin of the chemical substance.

According to ASU Communications Director Vickie Oldham, fumes from the substance caused at least three individuals to become sick. Oldham said the odor emanated from a biology lab on the second floor of the building. At least three individuals were taken to Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital for evaluation and treatment, Oldham said.

Burns said that while the hazardous materials unit was still investigating the chemical source, there was evidence that it might have been ammonia. AFD Battalion Chief Daniel Potter said the Dougherty County Sheriff’s Office also provided support at the scene.