Squawk of the Day - March 16, 2013

Every one of those bikers and joggers pay taxes for the highways and streets.

Opinions in The Squawkbox are those of the public and do necessarily reflect the opinions of The Albany Heral

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

Weak. Weakening the Squawk Box to set the stage for the Blight Slide column on Sunday.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........................................

And oh by the way not everybody pays taxes................................

MRKIA 1 year, 4 months ago

I AGREE SISTER. ALREADY STARTING OFF ON THE WRONG FOOT. THIS IS A PSA.

free_ur_mind 1 year, 4 months ago

Actually, Sis, that would be incorrect. In fact, the roads built and repaired by bikers and joggers are financed by local and state governments. Much of that funding comes from sales taxes. So unless you think bikers and joggers are not purchasing anything in our communities, which I would find incredulous, you are wrong here. What you are confusing is the fact that roughly half of Americans do not pay federal income tax when taking into account what they pay in taxes and what they receive back from the government. However if you are a working American, you are still paying payroll taxes, so even that is not true.

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

A dog pooping in the middle of a highway is a good point to you.

waltspecht 1 year, 4 months ago

Trucks and cars pay a road tax with every gallon of fuel. I don't fault anyone the use of the road, I just want them following the same rules and safety equipment requirements. I drive to work between 4:30 and 5:00 every morning. Sometimes I find it hard to believe folks are dumb enough to do what they are doing. People in the middle of the lane decked out in Black, Peddle bikes with no lights or reflectors. To be fair, I have seem Joggers with reflective tape and even flashing lights clipped to their back. Plus theree are Bikers with common sense that have lights and reflective tape.

rightasrain 1 year, 4 months ago

These 'bikers' should be required to take a state "bicycling course", take a written test and get an official cycling license. My gripe about these cyclist is that the majority of them do not obey the "rules of the road" that is set forth for them in the handbook published by the state. Stay to the right and ride in single file; not ride in pack in the middle of the highway acting like you are the cock of the walk. When you do that, it just makes you a cock.

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

Good point! These bikers think they own the roads and don't have to obey safety laws.

RedEric 1 year, 4 months ago

How bout the Joggers carrying a bid screen TV out of your house. Are they paying taxes?

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 4 months ago

I was returning to work form lunch yesterday. I was on Jackson heading south. I was obeying the "rules of the road" in that I was not speeding.I approached a traffic light which was green for me to proceed. I saw movement to my right and a bicycle being ridden by a grown man darted out in traffic.I slammed on brakes but if I had been one mile an hour faster, I would have hit and possibly killed that man. It scared me so bad that I had to pull off to the side of the road. He approached my car and told me his bike had no brakes. It doesn't matter who pays for that road, drivers of motor vehicles have to exercise care for cyclists AND cyclists have a responsibility to keep their equipment in proper working order and to obey the rules of the road.

waltspecht 1 year, 4 months ago

To quote a John Wayne line "You can't fix stupid!"

Bulldawg 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree, Flunkymonkey, sometimes you cannot avoid peoples stupidity. Who would ride a bike with no brakes anyway? What a moron. Excellent driving on your part, however.

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

Sometimes I thinks bikers are more hazardous to people who drive cars than people who drive cars are hazardous to people who ride those bikes. Highways were made for cars, bikes should be on bike trails etc.

chinaberry25 1 year, 4 months ago

Bulldawg, why would you walk, jog or ride before day on a major highway?? It may be legal, but you have more to lose than a car. Use some common sense when it is your life or child's at risk.

MRKIA 1 year, 4 months ago

ANYONE HERE EVER TOP A SMALL HILL OR ENTER A BLIND CURVE AND SOMEONE IS SUDDENLY IN YOUR PATH RIDING ONE OF THOSE MOTORIZED SCOOTERS SO POPULAR THESE DAYS? NO FLAG OR STROBE LIGHT TO WARN MOTORISTS OF THEIR PRESENCE. I'VE SEEN SOME TRULY HANDICAPPED PERSONS RISKING THEIR LIVES ON SOME BUSY ROADS AROUND HERE.