Squawk of the day - March 18, 2013

"Doctors who charge a fee for a missed appointment should pay the patient the same amount if they are not seen at their appointment time."

Comments

sowegap 1 year, 5 months ago

The reason we have to wait so long is that they schedule multiple patients for the same time, so if you are a no show, it is not as if that slot is open, they normally have at least two people scheduled and if one doesn't show then they still get paid. And I agree, they should pay us to wait for them when our appointment comes and goes and still no doctor.

rightasrain 1 year, 5 months ago

A few years back I had a 3:00PM appointment at Albany Internal Medicine; got there at 2:30 and checked in. A bit after 5PM the receptionist came into the waiting room and began "straightening up" the magazines. She looked at me and asked, "Are you waiting on someone?" I said, "Yes, I'm waiting on Dr.__, I had a 3:00 O'clock appointment." With a look of "Uh-oh" on her face, she walked to the back, came back and said, "Evidently your file didn't get pulled; and the Dr. just left." No apology at all. I suggested she try to catch him in the parking lot; to my surprise she did and he came back in and the appointment was completed. Needless to say, the Dr. was furious over the ineptness of the staff. Believe it or not, I was still sent a bill; I refused to pay it and haven't been back since.

fcarroll 1 year, 5 months ago

You all should try working in a doctor's office before you complain. The sheduling clerk never knows when an emergency is going to arise or what will happen when the patient is in back with the doctor and how much the patient will have going on when the doctor comes into the exam room. "Oh and doctor, i have this that needs to be checked also"

RedEric 1 year, 5 months ago

If an airline double books it pays a penalty, or at least they used to. Some doctors schedule everyone for 9:30 am and see them in the order they come in. My Dr. Doesn't do that and I am not telling his name.

waltspecht 1 year, 5 months ago

A Doctor's Office is a business. They schedule according to policy and practice. I don't believe any of us believe a Doctor can handle every patient in that allotted time frame of the schedule. Then there are emergency breakins for any schedule. I know that while waiting for an Operation at Pheobe, my slot was pushed back because of an emergencyroom transfer. These things happen. I am basically glad the Doctor is still working, and hasn't decided to retire on the interest of accumulated funds and property. Rather than continue to deal with Insurance payments and the Federal government. I have patience enough to entend it to my Doctor, even if he is late seeing me. For I can remember when there weren't enough Doctors, and many weren't accepting new patients.

USTPC 1 year, 5 months ago

I agree with most of what Walt has said and patience is something that is lacking in our society because of the "me" attitude that seems so prevalent. I do not mind (nor do I think it unreasonable) waiting 1/2 hour to an hour past my appointment time because I know that delays happen. However, I do not believe anyone should have to wait 2-3-4 hours beyond their appointment to see the doctor. If the doctor is called away on emergency then reschedule the patients that are already their and call the patients that have later appointments and reschedule them as well. My time is just as important as the doctor or anyone else.

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

I go to Albany Internal Medicine and everytime I go there, they call me in before I can even pick up a magazine. Maybe the time of day has something to do with it, but I go in the morning and I've never had to wait.

PJOHNSON11 1 year, 5 months ago

I work in a physicians office. We work in patients the best that we can, usually one work in per every hour. The schedule is laid out by corporate based upon the recommendation of the physician, not our office staff. A lot of people do not understand that it is up to that physician how many people are seen, and at what intervals they are seen at. In this office, the flucuation of numbers of the patients is always different, and wait times vary according to the day. The no show amount for patients that do not show up for their appointments is acceptable. There is a high volume of patients that are trying to get into our practice, and if someone cannot find the need to call and cancel that appointment, knowing that we have other patients that need to get in,then I believe whole heartedly that they should be charged that flat fee. No one gets a break with that in this practice. Patients are generally seen if they have a scheduled appointment. We usually wave the 24 hour cancellation notice if the patient calls us the same day and cancels that appointment, technically we do not even have to do that. I do not think a practice owes a patient 35.00 if they are seen that day. Waiting on an appointment is what people have to do. I have to do it at my appointments, and our physicians have to do it at their appointments. If something happens with our physician and he is not in the office, we call and we cancel the appointment with the patient and we reschedule.
In no way do I believe the practice should be held responsible to pay a patient a fee if they are not seen @ their designated appointment time. At least they are being seen, and within a timely manner, which is the real issue.

rightasrain 1 year, 5 months ago

Wait until the day comes when you sit in the waiting room for hours and someone comes in to "turn out the lights"; you learn that your file was never pulled even though you signed in a half hour BEFORE your appointment time, then you'll be singing another tune!

TheMember 1 year, 5 months ago

Why do they double book if they are going to charge the person for missing the appointment anyway? I am just asking from the post by sowegap.