Taking it Back, Inc. provides youth direction

ALBANY, Ga. -- Nichelle Miller isn't the type of person who's happy leaving things alone. Two years ago Miller, who does data entry for Jb Tax Services on East Broad Avenue, decided she didn't like the direction young people in Albany were taking.

photo

Nichelle Miller

"Every time you look at the news you see young people fighting or shooting each other -- breaking into cars," Miller said. "These kids need to know there's somebody out there who cares about them and is willing to help them find the right path."

Miller, 25, decided to try to help the situation, she said. She started a new non-profit organization called Taking it Back, Inc., to provide what she felt was a sorely needed beacon for misdirected youth.

"I did a lot research first," Millers said, "and I discovered there were about 600 501(c)3 (non-profit organizations) in Dougherty County already. But I thought we were still lacking for all the problems we still have."

During a youth meeting at the Police Department Community Center on East Oglethorpe Boulevard Saturday, area yougsters participated in program called "My Voice Matters," a question-and-answer session in what Miller called a gameshow format. These questions, however, were geared toward teen sexual activity and the dangers of transmitted diseases.

Athena King with the American Cancer Society was on hand to speak about HIV and HPV, which can cause cervical cancer. King even brought her 9-year-old daughter, Skye, to the discussion.

"I'm all for abstinence," King said, "But education is just as important. HIV has become more prevalent in Dougherty County. HPV can be spread just by casual contact."

Miller is planning a field trip to Valdosta State Prison on April 2, she said, for her next program, called "Reality Check." There, kids age 14 and up will have a chance to see what can happen to them if they stray from the "straight and narrow path."

According to Miller, her organization is funded entirely out of her own pocket, with some donations from churches and other organizations. She would, however, welcome volunteers and individual donations.

"It's not about me or any individual entities," Miller said. "It's how we can band together to help our kids."

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

Another ridiculous Non-Profit.

Is there a Major at ASU called "How To Create Your Own Non-Profit For Wealth and Fame"??

NO SH** !!!!!

MRKIA 1 year, 7 months ago

IF SHE GOES ONLINE AND GETS A PHD SHE'LL BE A DOCTOR AND CEO OF HER OWN NON-PROFIT! ALBANY IS FULL OF THESE PHONIES.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

Alot of these DoCo "non-profits" exist to generate tax free income that can be siphoned off by their CEO's. Alot of non-profits own luxury imports vehicles for their CEOs to drive. Not saying Ms. Miller is doing that, I'm just saying lots of them do that. And since they are 501(c)3's they are insulated from audits. It's a great gig if you can get it.

mr_nobody 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't doubt Ms. Miller is trying to impact young people in our community, which should be applauded. They need all the help they can get. I did run this non-profit through the website I use to verify non-profits and view their form 990. Searching the name, her name, and manually searching through the 764 non-profits in Albany turned up nothing under that name. Based on the article above, I get the impression that this organization was created 2 years ago, which means it should be listed. I hope the Herald did their homework here.

Cartman 1 year, 7 months ago

600 non-profit 501(c)(3)s in Dougherty County. That's alarming.

MRKIA 1 year, 7 months ago

WHAT BETTER WAY TO GET FREE ADVERTISING THAT HAVE THE LOCAL NEWSPAPER PUBLISH AN ARTICLE. NOW THIS "CEO" HAS SOME PAPERWORK UNDER HER BELT, SEEMINGLY LENDING LEGITIMACY TO THIS NON-PROFIT. LIKE THE PSYCH SAID IN "ANALYSE THIS", "IT'S A PROCESS". NEXT? APPLY FOR GUMMINT FUNDING.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

Can you really navigate your day with them giant geometrical structures hanging off your earlobes?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

In Madea's voice "Girl! Ummmm! Did you give yo money for them earbob thingamajigs? Girl, you done wasted yo money now! You betta TAKE them damn stupid ass things back and get yo MONEY BACK! And don't you come up here in my house again with no stupid looking monstrosities hanging off yo ears no mo!"

RedEric 1 year, 7 months ago

If she gets caught in a heavy wind they could wring her ears right off!

GeeGee 1 year, 7 months ago

She knew what she was doing. I would never think to do research if I was very sincere about helping folks. That would be the last thing I would do. Now if I was wanting free money, that is what I would do.

Citizen1 1 year, 7 months ago

All the nasty comments, why?

rightasrain 1 year, 7 months ago

This is the Squawkbox NOT Brightside stupid!