As of Sunday, March 17, 2013
© Copyright 2015 Albany Herald
- Lee County’s 4th annual Daddy Daughter Dance was an even bigger success than in previous years. The first dance was held from 4 p.m. - 5:30 p.m., specifically for daughters ages five and under. From 6 p.m. - 8 p.m., a second dance was held with a third going from 8:30 p.m. - 10:30 p.m. It was a busy night at Lee County Elementary with a total attendance of 1,150.
- The Albany City Commission/Planning Commission voted unanimously to allow the rezoning of a parcel of land near the Albany Mall for retail development. The rezoning will allow for retail sales, restaurants, offices or personal and office support services. Such a move opens the way for Gander Mountain to locate on just over five acres across from Outback Steakhouse, if the company so chooses.
- Although the weather was quite chilly, runners turned out in droves for the Albany Marathon. There were smiles all along the route and runners were greeted/ cheered and watered by a great turnout of volunteers.
- Second Harvest Food Bank of South Georgia has cut the ribbon on a long-awaited new kitchen. The new facility will allow “Kids Cafe” to increase the number of afterschool hot meals from 450 daily to 950 daily. The program already offered the free meals as well as homework assistance and various activities for children mainly at Boys and Girls Clubs in Albany and Camilla. With the new kitchen, eight new locations will be added, including two in Americus. A large part of this growing program’s new kitchen was funded by a $3 million grant from the Arby’s Foundation.
- Congratulations are in order for Coach Jenni Smith and her 2013 GISA Class AA state championship team of Westwood Lady Wildcats!
- To put your money where your mouth is means to do something rather than to just talk about it. Albany State University’s School of Business students, professors and staff did just that in a “cash mob” at a downtown restaurant. Just across the Flint River, between 75 and 100 participants went out to lunch at Our Daily Bread. Owners Mendy and Jason Warren and there small band of cooks and wait staff were no doubt exhausted at the end of the rush but delighted with ASU’s dedication to the business.
- In the midst of searching for an interim county administrator, bids for road projects, and more, the Lee County Commission took time out to honor one of those unsung volunteers among the citizens of the county. Commissioners passed a resolution honoring Gladys Thrift for her service with the Lee County Board of Elections and Registration. For 28 years Thrift has given freely of her time to the county.
- Teacher of the Year finalists for the Dougherty County School System have been named for 2013. The eight teachers on the short list are: Audrey Brown (Merry Acres), Melissa Childs (Lamar Reese), Zatambra Jones (Sylvester Road), Shanda Morine (Robert A. Cross), Eve Schroeder (Lincoln), Melinda Suber (Albany High) and Erica Wade
- (Lake Park). To these teachers and all the teachers representing their individual schools, thank you for your dedication to the children you teach and the families you touch.
- Back in October of last year, the first Spinning fundraiser held at Tony’s Fitness Group raised $7,809 for the Cancer Coalition of South Georgia. On March 7, a second such event was held with fifty cyclist participating. The group exceeded their goal of $10,000 by roughly an additional $1,000. Well done.
- Perhaps the best news of the week came with the return of District 6 Dougherty County Commissioner Jack Stone. Absent for some time due to health issues, Stone quipped, “ Looking at this long agenda, it doesn’t look like ya’ll have been doing anything while I was out.” Ahhh, it is so good to have you back, Jack.
More like this story
- Lee, Leesburg plan Starkville Avenue North improvements ( February 26, 2013 )
- City makes board appointments ( January 23, 2013 )
- Endorsements ( November 5, 2012 )
- Crime blotter with Map: April 3, 2013 ( April 2, 2013 )
- Nine metro students named Governor's Honors finalists ( March 26, 2013 )