Business owner booked on theft by conversion charge

Dennis Michael Fenton

Dennis Michael Fenton

ALBANY, Ga. -- Dougherty County Sheriff's Office Investigator Lt. Kenneth Jordan said Wednesday that Your Travel Connection owner Dennis Michael Fenton had been booked into the Dougherty County jail on a felony theft by conversion charge.

Jordan said that Fenton allegedly took $17,000 from a couple who booked a trip through his agency, then converted the money for personal use. The couple's trip, however, was never booked.

"After we received a complaint from the couple, Capt. (Craig) Dodd and myself interviewed Mr. Fenton and he admitted using the funds for his personal use," Jordan said. "He apparently had a ponzi-like scheme set up where he would take money from one customer and use money from the next one to make up the difference."

Jordan said investigators have no idea how long Fenton had been running the alleged scam but urged anyone who thought they might have been victimized by Fenton at Your Travel Connection to contact the Sheriff's office.

Dodd said Fenton remains in the Dougherty County Jail and is expected to be arraigned some time today.

Comments

GeeGee 1 year, 1 month ago

There is no way I would have ever given this aging hippie $17000.

Citizen1 1 year, 1 month ago

Wow! no nasty comments? Oh I see the picture!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 1 month ago

If turnabout were fair play, everybody would be coming on here accusing the police of racism and attacking anybody that said something negative about this perp. Right?

VSU 1 year ago

Yep pure racism, if he'd been black the police would have ignored him and looked the other way, right Sister?

DRTexas 1 year, 1 month ago

He doesn't look like anyone I would give money to.

VietVet1 1 year, 1 month ago

Wonder how many other people he's screwed?

That's for you Citizen1. Somehow I bet you make Albany proud.

jglass 1 year, 1 month ago

It is really sad that you cannot trust a soul today!!!! Whether they are a caretaker, a travel agent, a contractor, a teacher, a CEO, etc. most everyone is out to be a thief and do they really think they can get away with it very long?

WeAreThey 1 year, 1 month ago

The man runs a successful travel agency for 25-30 years and has provided 100's of wonderful vacations to people in this town, and now, the Sheriff's Department claims it's a 'Ponzi scheme' ? Doesn't 'non-refundable' mean 'non-refundable' for everyone? Maybe not, if you have the right friends in high places.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 1 month ago

If you want to go after a REAL Ponzi-scheme, talk to the people in the Social Security Administration.

VSU 1 year ago

Oh, this man ain't done nuttin wrong, he a good man. Theys gots him confused wit someone else. They just pickin at him cause he white.

AuntieDee 1 year ago

No he didn't do anything wrong. This is the typical crime of his kind. It just doesn't get written up as much. I was wondering, does he live on the east side of ALbany? According to you and Ruby all the criminal activity happens in East Albany. I guess all the "White" collar crime happens on the westside.

VSU 1 year ago

Oh shut the blank up Diddly Dee Dumb, you don't even know what the h&ll I was talking about, so keep your racist comments to yourself.

I guess you are still whining about those stores in East Albany getting caught selling alcohol to minors. FYI they were getting complaints from customers about the stores selling to minors so they investigated them. And were they wrong? No they were not, the stores were guilty. Not all those stores were on the East Side. Get over it.

I know you are not smart enough to figure this out, so i will make it simple for you. I did not say that man did nothing wrong. I was simply mocking what the black mama's do when one of their children gets arrested saying their boy did nothing wrong, when they don't know whether they did or not.

Kenny36 1 year ago

I don't understand how these people figure out how to do crocked stuff and get away with it for so long.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year ago

I can't say that I have ever taken a $17k vacation. Maybe one day...