Squawk of the day - March 28, 2013

"I am a Deerfield parent and ex-member of the Board Of Trustees who would have voted to compete in the GHSA because I know that we would not be playing against thugs but we would have been competing against the best athletes in our region and many outstanding young men and women from Southwest Georgia. Thugs are not athletes and athletes are not thugs. They are some of the nicest young men and women today."

Comments

MRKIA 1 year ago

I BEG TO DIFFER BUT ALL SPORTS HAVE ATHLETES WHO ARE THUGS AND CRIMINALS. FROM HIGH SCHOOL TO THE PROS.

WTFwtf 1 year ago

Still fightin the ol civil war

VSU 1 year ago

Just look at all the college players getting arrested for armed robbery on a daily basis. Don't tell me athletes are not thugs and the nicest young people of today. Nice people don't commit armed robbery and go to jail. I know most athletes don't fit into the thug category, but not all athletes fit in the nice good boy category either.

GeeGee 1 year ago

You just want to be able to pick and choose what black person goes to your school. I am white and my son use to go to that school. I would rather my child go with all the thugs in public school than go to Deerfield. You may not have any "thugs" there but you have blinder on your eyes. Get over yourself for other folks do exist in this nation and in the grand scope of things, Deerfield is small potatoes. My mother use to live next door to a drug pusher and I can promise you that the cars that came to buy drugs from her where not the black thugs. At the time there were no other private schools in Albany, so one can only surmise they came from the private school and these white teenagers drove jeeps and high priced cars for a sixteen year old. Yes, there are thugs in your school, maybe not a rogue, but junkies.

RedEric 1 year ago

BULLSHOT!!!! It is nearly impossible to BS a Semipro BSer. You didn't make it on that post.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year ago

Are you off your meds, GeeGee?

I think we all know that some white kids do drugs. Mexican kids, Korean kids, Chinese kids, Japanese kids, Puerto Rican kids, and even black kids do drugs.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year ago

My child has played sports against the so called athletes at DWS. There are more THUGS in that school than anywhere else in the city. The scars are still visible from the cheap shots taken by Deerfield players. Oh yea, were those Deerfield "ahtletes" or Deerfiled thugs that broke into the Sherwood Christian bus a few years back and VANDALIZED IT? People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I always thought a good dose of humility dealt by a GHSA school would do Deerfield a world of good.

jglass 1 year ago

Well, you have good and bad in ALL schools. It does not matter if it is a private school or a public school or a christian school there are good and bad kids alike in ALL of the schools. It is sad though how the few BAD kids outshine ALL of the GOOD kids.

Black_Falcon 1 year ago

In psychological terminology, what you refer to is called the confirmation bias. It works like this…Let’s say I am a person who believes that young Black males are thugs. I will ignore any evidence that is contrary to my belief. For example, I will ignore the 20 Black male honor graduates from high school and focus solely on the 5 high school drop-outs who engage in criminal activity. The mass media in this country is complicit in perpetuating this type of thinking by only focusing on the negative aspects of society. As I was told once by a reporter, “Good news doesn’t sell papers or get ratings on TV.” So it goes…

erudite 1 year ago

Great point B_F....this entire region suffers from this bias.

Black_Falcon 1 year ago

It is hard being to engage in critical thinking when being a "dumbed down" follower is the norm.

FryarTuk 1 year ago

Your comment may have gone over the heads of your readers, BF. LOL.

mr_nobody 1 year ago

The solution here is simple. If you don't like DWS's decision to not move to GHSA, send your kids to Westover, or Albany High, or Monroe, or Lee County (or another High School in the area) so they can complete against some of the best athletes in the area.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year ago

DWS should start talking with region opponents to make the jump in a few years. Get 3 or 4 other schools to agree with you to leave the GISA.

waltspecht 1 year ago

Lets not kid ourselves. Many Parents send there children there to get away from the small minority (meaning few in number compared to the whole) of bad students that infest our public systems. If the gang culture weren't tolerated within the Public Schools, there wouldn't be that large an enrollment in the Private Schools. Just look at the Police presence at School Games when there is suspected gang problems. It just goes to show that the problem is recognized, just no one knows what to do about it.

erudite 1 year ago

Are we putting the cart before the horse? Do the police give the kids the idea that society expects them to be thugs so we might as well be prepared for it? How about we treat the kids with some respect and encouragement? yeah yeah, I can hear it now...they don't give me any respect...how can they NOW---we must give society time. As many are fond of writing in this very column, this behavior is generational; it will take generations to get rid of it too. We have to start some time; why not now?