AFD teaches fire safety with Harlem Shake video

ALBANY, Ga. — What do a bunch of gyrating fire fighters in crazy outfits have with to fire safety?

Albany Fire Chief James Carswell believes they have everything to do with it.

The Albany Fire Department's version of the Harlem Shake dance craze spread quickly through social media on Friday and Carswell sees nothing wrong with that.

"We're trying to reach out to a younger audience and show them the importance of fire safety in a way that will resonate with them," he said. "If my folks have to dress up like clowns and dance around to do that, then that's what we'll do."

The video, filmed in the department's downtown fire station, can be viewed by mobile users by clicking here.

Comments

Abytaxpayer 1 year ago

Thank you AFD nice job.

KaosinAlbany 1 year ago

I love it!! Great job and it gave me a good belly laugh. Keep up the good work!

sowegap 1 year ago

I have seen the original doing the Harlem shake on YouTube and this is not the Harlem Shake, most yahoos are doing what they figure is the shake, but it is not, I applaud them for the message, but they should not call this the Harlem Shake.

Abytaxpayer 1 year ago

@ Sow Wow ain't you a stick in the mud.

sowegap 1 year ago

The originators of the real Harlem Shake are offended because people are actually doing versions of it are obscene rather than creative, the AFD's version is pretty tame, but it is still not the Harlem Shake, check out one of the morning show's that had the originators as guest, they are pretty amazing. To see the real Harlem Shake, check out this YouTube video: http://youtu.be/xt_4yv3_INw

Abytaxpayer 1 year ago

@Sow you are a hoot! The originators of the real Harlem Shake are “offended” because people are actually doing versions of it are obscene……..Well I watched your video and I am OFFENDED. I wear pants the “original” way they are meant to be worn and the “people” on your video are offending me with the OBSCENE way they show their underwear. Get over your self-righteous self. AFD was trying to reach the kids of Albany and Not pay tribute to the "Offensive" people who made the “Original Shake.”

GREAT job AFD

albjobs 1 year ago

It's the right song and it promotes fire safety. Just enjoy.

iko 1 year ago

This is very creative and a good way to reach the youth.

Great job, AFD!