Former Tift County football standout, UGA player charged with 8 felonies

Israel Troupe

Israel Troupe

ATHENS — Former Tift County Blue Devil star and UGA player Israel Troupe has been arrested and charged with at least eight different felony counts.

The Athens Banner Herald reports that Troupe, 24, was booked in to the Athens-Clarke County jail. His charges include Financial Transaction Card Fraud and financial card theft. He remains in jail on a $32,500 bond.

While at Tift County, he was considered to be the top recruit among wide receivers but his career at Georgia fizzled. He was also pursued on the baseball diamond by several major league clubs before deciding to stick with football.

Comments

MRKIA 1 year ago

THIS MORON THROWS AWAY A SHOT AT THE AMERICAN DREAM. BUT HE'S NOT THE ONLY ONE I GUESS.

MRKIA 1 year ago

AS I COMMENTED ON ANOTHER POST, THERE ARE THUGS AND CRIMINALS IN ALL LEVELS OF SPORTS.

Sister_Ruby 1 year ago

Wonder why "his career fizzled" at UGA? He remains in jail?? Should'a been apprehended down here in the Bright Life City where "no weapon formed against you shall prosper"........

FryarTuk 1 year ago

He should never been at a university. Probably too much to hope for but I sure would like to see secondary and college programs return to functioning student-athletes.

WJReady 1 year ago

I am a UM as in lots of swagger fan. We were always tattooed with the Criminal element BUT slowly the SEC is taking over. WE WILL be back, it is all about the U....

LuLu 1 year ago

24 and still in college?

dominiquedamac 1 year ago

The article clearly says "former Tift County and Georgia's football player."

VSU 1 year ago

Didn't that squawker yesterday say that athletes are not thugs and thugs are not athletes? Actually thugs are good athletes, notice how well they run from police? Course then again some of the Albany Police are out of shape.

bluecrewfan 1 year ago

Based on this story, I admit that he did wrong and this doesn't look good at all, but I think you all have misjudged Israel. When he went from junior high to high school in Tifton, kids called him "the American dream", because of not only his athleticism, but his academics, squeaky clean reputation, and just never got in trouble. He continued that throughout high school. He was never in any trouble at UGA that I'm aware of and, as far as I know, this was a first offense. This credit card(s) belonged to an ex-girlfriend. Who is to say that she didn't give him permission to use the cards and then when things went astray, he took the fall ?