Squawk of the Day - March 31, 2013

"Obama closes the White House to thousands of kids this spring break in a childish temper tantrum over sequestration. Yet, his wife and kids are vacationing in the Bahamas. Millions in security costs at taxpayer expense. This is especially shameful when millions of Americans are out of work and can’t afford to have a vacation."

Squawks are submitted by the public and are not necessarily the opinions of The Albany Herald.

Comments

dickyboy 2 years, 1 month ago

And not a damn thing we can do about it.....

RedEric 2 years, 1 month ago

He doesn't want people running through his house. He needs those vacation because of all the hard work restoring the economy. Don't you like your President?

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

And Coca Cola just layed off a few hundred employees across the board.

GeeGee 2 years, 1 month ago

This is what you get when you have a first term president who spent beyond belief and now the voters have given him free reign. The military needs to be cut, there is a world of unnecessary spending there too. Military use to get $60000 to reup, that is gone. A lot military will be on the streets come time to reenlist. Hope they got the necessary training because civil service is no longer an option or the good retirement at 38. The federal government should not have to pay for a dependents fun and games. If the president is with them, yes, but only then. The moral is find a president without a wife and kids.

rorschach 2 years, 1 month ago

I re-uped several times and they never game me 60,000. I wonder if they owe me backpay?

whattheheck 2 years, 1 month ago

The moral is to find a "real" President next time, with more than community organizer experience.

bigbob 2 years, 1 month ago

A real President is right, most people could care less what the color of his skin is. Obumma is just a muslum looser.

bigbob 2 years, 1 month ago

The biggest joke is he is making blacks look bad but they still love him. Kinda like most of the elected people in Albany. As long as they keep getting their free bees they are happy.

sowegap 2 years, 1 month ago

Not all of us, I have been unemployed for almost four years and at every turn, I have been told that I am overqualified, even tried looking outside of Georgia, same thing, but luckily, my reign of being unemployed ends tomorrow when I begin a new job. I love pay day, a dollar paid for a dollar earned, I was taught that government aid is for the needy. Needy to equates those parents who find themselves without a job and a family to take care of and bills to pay. ;-) Doing the happy dance!!!!

GG126 2 years, 1 month ago

What about the millions paid for security to our former presidents and their wives? I don't hear you complaining about that cost?

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

We weren't going through a sequestration at that time either. The president wants to cut back on everything else except anything that involves him and his family. A leader is supposed to lead by example, but I guess in his case it's "Do As I Say, Not As I Do".

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, there was this guy George W. Bush who loved taking Air Force One to Crawford, Texas...

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

But wouldn't you agree it costs less to stay at your own ranch than it would be staying in the Bahamas? They also were not experiencing a sequestration at that time.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

I read that he spent an estimated $25M in transportation alone for his trips to Crawford. AF1 isn't cheap.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

But still he would pay less staying at his ranch. If Obuma flies to the Bahamas the cost of transportation and the place to stay adds to the cost, so as I stated above, it would cost less to stay at his ranch than it would be staying in the Bahamas, Hawaii, Europe and all other places that he vacations at.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

He might pay less (on average) per visit, but if the quantity of visits is significantly more, then you can do the math.

George W. Bush spent 32 months at his ranch (490 days) or Camp David (487 days) — an average of four months away every year.

Time off doesn't mean goofing off. President Bush, for example, met with a variety of foreign leaders at his ranch. President Obama held a G-8 summit at Camp David. Just like you might check your email while sitting on the beach, presidents never really unplug. But if anyone deserves a vacation, it is the person who serves in the world's most stressful and demanding job.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

But remember Obama hasn't finished his 2nd 4 year term yet. Still Bush pays less by staying at his ranch rather than going to the Bahamas or other resorts. If Bush took every minute of his vacattion time going to Paris, London, Hawaii, Bahamas, Jamaica instead of his ranch his cost would be more.

revolutionnow 2 years, 1 month ago

They are ALL wrong. Greed rules supreme!

erock 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey Sherwood, those trailers in the church parking lot. Is that where all the movie stars are staying? You must not need the parking space huh.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

I wouldn't know, as I don't attend that church. Sorry :/

TRUTH101 2 years, 1 month ago

BLABLAHBLAHBLAH.........Happy Easter!

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 1 month ago

People People his Highness said the sequestration was going to HURT You. He never said it would hurt him and his fellow goons. Not the first politician has taken one penny in pay cut.

FryarTuk 2 years, 1 month ago

It will not hurt him nor will it hurt any of the politicians. That's why the extreme right reached this agreement with Obi-Wan. Politicians go in office with a little money and come out filthy rich. If they knew they were going to be pinched by the law you can damn well bet it would never have been written especially Southern politicians.

WTFwtf 2 years, 1 month ago

I just found a new game to play on this site. Go to the birth announcement section and try to guess which names will be passed over by hiring managers in about 20 years.

Somebody 2 years, 1 month ago

WTFwtf will be one of them on that list. Do yolu honestly think people with those names will even apply for a job, knowing they can just draw welfare and food stamps, or steal it from someone else?