'4Real?' New Zealand releases list of banned baby names

FILE-REUTERS

FILE-REUTERS

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — New Zealand officials on Wednesday released a list of baby names put forward by parents that were rejected because they were too bizarre or offensive, including "Lucifer" and "Mafia No Fear".

The list of 77 names reveals one child was set to be called "Anal" before the Department of Internal Affairs vetoed the proposal, while another narrowly avoided being dubbed "." or full stop.

RELATED: Click here to view the latest local birth announcements.

Other names on the list included "4Real", "V8", and "Queen Victoria".

In some cases, parents appeared to have lost any inspiration for coming up with a moniker for their offspring, wanting to call the latest addition to the family simply "2nd", "3rd" or "5th".

The department's rules forbid any name that might imply a child holds an official title or rank, so "King", "Duke" and "Princess" were among those that had been turned down most since 2001.

"Justice" was the most popular, having been rejected 62 times, although "Justus" and "Juztice" also failed to gain official approval.

In 2008, New Zealand's family court ordered that a nine-year-old girl whose parents had called her "Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii" should have her name changed because it was embarrassing and "makes a fool of the child".

At the time, judge Rob Murfitt criticised parents who gave their children bizarre names, citing examples such as "Number 16 Bus Shelter", "Midnight Chardonnay" and twins called "Benson" and "Hedges".

Comments

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

I imagine Sister_Ruby would have something to saytregarding this article.

Hi, this is our son V8 or this is our son 4real. Meet our daughter Queen Victoria.

Meet my kids. This is 2nd, this is 3rd and the little one over there is 4th.

MRKIA 1 year, 2 months ago

SHE MUST BE TAKING A NAP, BUT WAIT UNTIL SHE READS THIS ARTICLE.

MRKIA 1 year, 2 months ago

WELL,WELL, JUDGE MURFITT NEEDS TO COME TO ALBANY AND OPEN AN OFFICE IN PPMH AND D.C. JAIL. THE OVERTIME MIGHT KILL HIM THOUGH.

Bulldawg 1 year, 2 months ago

The "powers that be" should do this in Albany with names that end in "avious" especially.

daisymae 1 year, 2 months ago

Too bad Albany and the State of GA do not do this...hence the woman who name her twins Orangejello and Lemonjello or the woman in Cuthbert who named her twins Shithead and Shitrustin. That does not even take into account all the Quantavious, Dontavious and good Lord I could go on.

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

New Zealand isn't the only place where some names are not allowed and to that I say "hey, you kids should be grateful." Can you imagine the fun some of the Herald birth parents would have trying to have some of the names they picked approved? Oh my gawd, I can just see the officials laughing their butts off. In Sweden once an Italian lady told me she married a man from Scanadanavia and was told the law stated she was not allowed to use her husband's last name as her's. The name police are out in full force. Oh, and PS...the Orangejello and Lemonjello names are nothing more than an urban myth. You can Bing or Google it or just type in your address box: Are Orangejello and Lemonjello true names of twins or an urban myth. Tons of pages will pop up..or just check out www.snopes.com

USTPC 1 year, 2 months ago

To bad you cannot rely on snopes to tell the truth being as it is owned and ran by a liberal couple.

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

I know who runs the page. Then if you don't like them, go to David Emery's page about Urban Legends. Who cares who owns it....I sure don't. I do not, nor have I ever relied on one source of information when I look something up.

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 2 months ago

All I will say is that SoWeGa is a target rich environment for this esteemed group of officials and I, for one, wish to send them an engraved invitation, all expenses paid, to come to Albany and do their worst.

Was Sa'Phyllis on their list? .....or Shi'Thead? Both actual, real past names from PPMH.

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

This reminds me of that one year stand XFL football league. They had a player that called himself "He Hate Me"

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

I kind of think it is funny the way the Albany Herald slipped in the little snippet...."RELATED: Click here to view the latest local birth announcements" at the beginning of the article. I guess someone wanted the reader to leave with a good laugh. Well done, Herald, and yes I am laughing.