DCSS suspends another teacher without pay

ALBANY, Ga. — Dougherty County School System interim Superintendent Butch Mosely has suspended Albany Early College teacher Robert Copeland for the remainder of the school year.

In his suspension letter to Copeland, Mosely wrote:

“On April 23, 2013, your principal, Ms. Barbara Harvey informed me that you consistently defies (sic) explicit instructions violating ethical and professional standards such as insubordination, grading reporting errors, dishonesty and submission of false reports (gross inflation of grades).

“Because of your inappropriate actions, you will be suspended without pay for the remainder of the 2012-13 school term, ending May 20, 2013.”

Copeland, who had submitted a letter of resignation prior to his suspension, is the fourth DCSS educator to be suspended by the district within the past four weeks.

Comments

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks, Terry, for reporting the news. The freedom of the press is an important right that should not be criticized. I just wish the mainstream media has stopped seeking the truth. Because "the truth will set you free" but nobody wants to hear the truth anymore.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 3 months ago

Terry the terrible strikes again.....weak story.....(yawn)....weak paper......(yawn)...another day, another attack on the DCSS......whats new?

Bulldawg 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey Bubba, if you hate the Herald so much, then why do you continue to read and comment on the articles?

gotanyfacts 1 year, 3 months ago

BSR... You remind me of the story of the young lawyer, with a very poor case, yelling "I object!" When asked his grounds, he said "I don't have any, I just like the way it sounds".

agirl_25 1 year, 3 months ago

Good for Mr. Mosely. The one thing that really angered me about the piece was that Copeland was cited for "gross inflation of grades" and this is an early college teacher? Oh wonderful, now I have some idea of how so many kids get into college who DO NOT belong there....inflate the grade, huh? When I went back to school in the early 80's it was pretty evident so many did not belong. Now, as a senior citizen I can go to college free (no credit but I don't care - it is interesting to see how times have changed in education since the 60's when I was in school) and am amazed at how many students are there for the financial aid. Good for Mosely......hooray!! Get rid of a bad teacher and maybe we will eventually get better graduates.

RedEric 1 year, 3 months ago

Taxpayers are financing education. Teachers are hired and payed by that portion of the public. A majority of DCSS students cannot read with comprehension. I do not accept the excuse that the raw material is poor. Everyone can learn. If your methods do not achieve the desired results, then I suggest you change your methods.

B4it 1 year, 3 months ago

Keep it going Mr. Mosley!!! Sending these disciplinary messages will help change the mindset for those who think they will be able to continue down the path of "that's the way we have always done it".

The next step will be to start strong disciplinary actions for the disruptive and disrespectful students who rob the valuable learning time from the students who really want to learn. This will help change the mindset for the parents and community that we are on the road to recovery from the past poor leadership. It also sets an example to see what actions lead to success.

AuntieDee 1 year, 3 months ago

Ditto B4it!. I couldn't have said it better. Principals and assistant Principals need to wake up and do their jobs and stop passing the buck back to the teachers. Students cannot learn in an hostile environment. What good does it do to send a disruptive chikd to the office only to have them sent back? Parents need to also be held accountable.

agirl_25 1 year, 3 months ago

YESSSSSSS!!!! B4it... discipline is exactly what is needed in the schools. We had it when I was in school, albeit I mostly went to Department of Defense schools on military posts when I was young, and knew better than to misbehave. There is no excuse for allowing the kids to rule the schools.

erock 1 year, 3 months ago

Finally. A shakeup in the DCSS. Consequences for your actions or lack thereof. No more loafing around the teachers lounge. One's already resigned because he knew he wouldn't be able to keep his act together. Who's next. How many more will there be. Let the finger pointing begin.

Amazed2 1 year, 3 months ago

Unfortunately he is here only on an interim basis. He is scheduled to be replaced by a new hire soon

VSU 1 year, 3 months ago

The bad thing is, unless they make Mosely the permanent Superintendent, they could vote in a loser like Murfree in and undo everything Mosely is trying to accomplish. Hopefully he can be put in for the permanent position.

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 3 months ago

The thing is Mosely doesn't want to be the permanent superintendent. He was hired to clean up and make changes to the DCSS, leaving it in manageable shape for the next guy. He's basically a hired gun, and he likes it that way.

agirl_25 1 year, 3 months ago

Well good for Mosely and I think the DCSS is very lucky to have him. What if he does clean up the place tho, and like VSU said, a new guy could be as bad as Murfree and louse up everything good he has done. Of course you have a much more intelligent school board now so maybe the next Superintendent won't be as inept as Murfree was and will be picked on merit and not because he was the friend of a friend who knew a friend. I wonder if Mosely has the authority to do anything about Velvetta and the others who fed their kids for free or at reduced prices. I may not have kids in the DCSS but I still pay taxes and they stole my tax money paid, in my opinion.

VSU 1 year, 3 months ago

Yes, hopefully the school board will be wiser this time around.

jglass 1 year, 3 months ago

I am glad he is doing what he was hired to do!!!

straightface 1 year, 3 months ago

I wish the city would do some shaking up and let some people go who are mess makers and don't want to work. Just gossip and talk about people all day long.. Taylor catch on and shakeup the city..

B4it 1 year, 3 months ago

Straightface - this type of "shaking up" is needed for both the city and county. From what I have seen and heard, it seems Taylor has the right ideas and approach. However, he seems to be up against a very shallow-minded and inept Board of Commissioners who keep overriding his suggestions.

Amazed2 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks Terry! Yes Mosley is not looking for a long term deal. But he is doing a good job of doing things the way things should be done. Unfortunately there was little to no structure or enforcement of ethics and policies by the previous school supt.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm all for cleaning house, just dont show favoritism like Whatley did.....be consistent....