Black mayors stress teamwork for success

ALBANY, Ga. -- The Georgia Conference of Black Mayors held their spring conference at the Hilton Garden Inn this weekend to discuss a teamwork approach toward their cities and the state.

Beginning with an overview Friday afternoon, black mayors from around the state convened for workshops speeches and education sessions. According to Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard the over-riding theme was cooperation for the sake of progress.

"This group is about working together," Hubbard said. "It's about sharing information, working together and sharing information that will allow us to work together. It's about bringing everybody in and having everybody work together."

Hubbard said the conference is also a great economic impact for city.

"All the hotel rooms have been taken for the weekend, and that is always wonderful," Hubbard said.

The conference was highlighted Saturday with a speech by Shirley Sherrod, former Georgia state director of rural development, which carried the togetherness theme.

"Let me talk about geese," Sherrod said. "When the lead goose gets too tired to lead, he drops back and lets another one take his place. Geese honk to encourage one another to keep up their speed. When a goose is wounded, two other geese follow him to the ground to watch over him."

Sherrod also held a signing session of her book, "The Courage to Hope."

General sessions planned for the conference included: Overview on the Affordable Care Act and a roundtable discussion on urban and rural cities.

Planned workshops included: Programs and Funding Sources for Rural and Urban Cities; Sustainable Solutions: How "Going Green" Can Save Your City Money, Time and Resources; Immigration & E-Verify and Law Enforcement Discussion. The black mayors conference is set to end today.

Comments

erock 11 months, 2 weeks ago

It's about corruption, it's about playing the race card, it's about extortion and not one damned thing about politics or serving the people who put you in office. What's worse is this little pow wow of yours comes at the expense of the taxpayers. Every time one of your kind gets elected, the finances go to hell because you can't keep your hands out of the money jar. Scandals built on scandals and no explanation whatsoever on where you squandered the money. It's the same thing every time. When the heat comes down and the investigations begin, you turn in your resignation in a lame attempt to avoid criminal charges. Who pays for the investigation, why the taxpayers of course. After you drain the money coffers and spend all the money, which was not yours to spend in the first place, you are still costing the taxpayers money. Being the slimy "politician" that you are, it is now time to play your trump card, aka, the race card. I dare you to prove me wrong.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm still trying to take in this statement of utter genius. It's too deep for me to grasp..............I need some more time to understand its deeper meaning.

JamesCalhounJr 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Sister Ruby, I am going to be very straight forward with you, so before you go on one of your uninformed rants let me tell you a little bit about myself. I am Caucasian, Catholic, I live on social security, a military pension, and related VA disability. I served our constitution for 22 years of my life and usually refrain from getting involved in uninformed rhetoric by uninformed people. I read the article that was written in the Albany Herald that purported to represent Major Hubbard's commentary on the meeting of Majors. I did not read one word of substance about how to address the harmful effects that President Obama's health care plan is having and will have on the economy. I did not read one word about how the Majors will take steps to protects the rights of Citizens guaranteed by The Bill of Rights and The Constitution of The United States of America that can be attacked by authorization of the current National Defense Authorization Act. I did not read one word about what stance our local government would take to counter illegal orders to violate the Constitutional Rights of Citizens of The United States of America, that includes you. Some more about me, I worked for quite a few years after I retired from the military and payed taxes into the system, including federal income tax, social security, and all of the sales taxes that are levied. I would still be working if I could as I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge. However in October of 2010 the medical profession discovered that I had lung cancer, that cost me the top lobe of my left lung along with the inability to continue the riggers of my past profession. I am currently cancer free. I do not vote for a pay check and try to volunteer as much time as I can to help others. It seems to me that the group of Majors spent a lot of tax payer money for a real good feel good meeting that accomplished very little of substance, how do I know because I have attended one or two, they were funded by the private sector and did not generate much of substance either. So, you ask what is my point, well you might want to work a little harder at becoming a better informed Citizen and just maybe by the Grace of God and a better informed Citizenry this country might survive the attack it is under by the current Executive Branch of Government. Oh, if you have it in your mind that I am a hater, well I spent one fifth of my military career promoting the rights of and educating other about the rights of minorities, so maybe you are the one with a hate problem and not me. Don't you have anything in your life to be proud of or are you one of those that have to hang on to the accomplishments of others. Remember self worth comes from your own accomplishments and not those of others. Hopefully our leaders provide a worthy example for us to emulate not many of them are accomplishing that mission these days. Well that is about it so what will you do to try and make the system a better system?

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months, 2 weeks ago

"....this country might survive the attack it is under by the current Executive Branch of Government........" uhhhhh, I think you and I are on the same team, JC!

MRKIA 11 months, 2 weeks ago

YEP, THIS IS THE MAYOR TALKING. GOOD THING SHE DOESN'T REALLY HAVE THE POWER TO DO ANYTHING. A FINE EXAMPLE OF CIRCULAR LOGIC.

OUTsiderLookingINalbany 11 months, 2 weeks ago

A few words come to mind when I hear of these type meetings.... RACIST BLACKS

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Can't wait to hear what the White Mayor's Conference puts forth. Should be fantastic.

VSU 11 months, 2 weeks ago

They couldn't have a white Mayor's conference. That would be racist.

MRKIA 11 months, 2 weeks ago

THIS IS THE LATEST IN LAME PATHETIC ETHNIC INSTITUTIONS, THE "BLACK" MAYORS OF GEORGIA. ANY MAYOR OF ANY COLOR WITH EVEN AN GRAIN OF SELF-RESPECT AND DIGNITY WOULD NEVER BELONG TO THIS APARTHEID GROUP OF RACECARDERS. THIS IMPLIES THEY HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON WITH OR NOTHING TO BE SHARED OR LEARNED WITH OTHER RACES. THEIR ORGANIZATION HAS NO USEFUL PURPOSE AND DOES A DISSERVICE TO THE COMMUNITIES THAT ELECTED THEM.

MRKIA 11 months, 2 weeks ago

MAYOR HUBBARD, WHAT A JOKE. FORTUNATLY MR. TAYLOR IS IN CHARGE OF ACTUALLY RUNNING THE CITY. MRS. MAYOR, ANYONE ON YOUR TEAM BESIDES BLACK FOLK? WHAT ABOUT WHITE MAYORS? WHERE DO THEY FIT IN YOUR STRATEGY? HOW DID YOU REPRESENT ALL THE OTHER RACES AT THE "BLACK" CONFERENCE? SINCE YOU WERE NOT REPRESENTING THE WHOLE OF THE CITY AT THIS BLACK ONLY EVENT THERE SHOULD BE NO COST TO THE CITY FOR YOUR ATTENDANCE.

Bubbavet_rureel 11 months, 2 weeks ago

It's good nobody cares for racist comments!

B4it 11 months, 2 weeks ago

"This group is about working together," Hubbard said. It's about bringing everybody in and having everybody work together."

Just one simple question, but I am sure it will be hard for someone to honestly answer, why is it called "The Georgia Conference of Black Mayors"???????

VSU 11 months, 2 weeks ago

It's for black mayors only.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I imagine it is a way for black mayors to share success stories with other black mayors in hopes of improving their skill-set. There are undoubtedly unique problems that black mayors must overcome, and this is a way to learn how to do so. There are not many black leaders, relative to the number of white leaders, who can provide specific insight to mentor other blacks in leadership roles, such as an executive role in a company or a mayor role in a city.

Obviously over time as more and more blacks are in leadership roles these specific mentoring programs will help alleviate this problem and make these types of conferences or organizations irrelevant.

As I stated in another post, I see this no differently than companies having mentoring programs specifically for women so that they can break through the "glass ceiling."

MRKIA 11 months, 2 weeks ago

WHAT IF THERE ARE NO BLACK MAYORS WITH A SUCCESS STORY? DO YOU HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF PROBLEMS THAT ARE UNIQUE TO "BLACK" MAYORS? THIS ORGANIZATION AS WELL AS THE NAACP BECAME IRREVEVANT YEARS AGO.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I can't imagine there would ever be a situation in which zero black mayors would have a single success story, but if that were the case, then I suppose this conference would be pointless.

I am definitely not saying that all organizations that focus solely on the advancement of black people are meritorious, but I do see the value in this conference.

If you can't think of any problems that would be unique to black mayor, then so a simple google search. Hint: some people can't get past race. Hint: I already stated some obstacles, but you have to read my posts.

MRKIA 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I FULLY UNDERSTAND THE POINT YOU ARE MAKING AND I ALSO UNDERSTAND THE NEED FOR BLACK PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS DURING THE PERIODS OF BLATANT EXCLUSION FROM MAINSTREAM ORGS. BLACK FOLK ACHIEVED PARITY LONG AGO. ARE BLACKS SO CRIPPLE THAT THEY STILL NEED THE "BLACK" THIS OR "BLACK" THAT FOR A CRUTCH?

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Parity????? Hell no! Preference is more like it.

MRKIA 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I GUESS SOME STILL WANT TO HOLD ON TO THAT LAST SCRAP OF AN ERA GONE BY. IT DOSEN'T MATTER TO THEM THAT MOST ARE IRREVELANT. BLACK FOLK KNOW GOOD AND WELL THAT YOU COULDN'T GET ONE OF THEM TO SET FOOT IN AN EVENT BILLED AS THE "WHITE SO AND SO CONFERENCE". YOU'LL HAVE JESSE AND AL TO DEAL WITH.

RedEric 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I get the constant honking. I get tired of the constant honking. Two geese following a wounded one to the ground. I think that refers to one being indicted and sharing the blame with at least two others. I'm with Sister, the imagery is tough to follow. Oh hey, Shirley how is that plantation living going? I would advise practicing before a congressional committee about that.

VSU 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Why couln't it be the Georgia conference of Mayors and all Mayors work together? Oh wait a minute, never mind.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I think that is called the Mayors Day Conference hosted by Georgia Municipal Association.

VSU 11 months, 2 weeks ago

No matter, they still get to have a separate gathering just for the black mayors, where is the meeting for the white mayors? Why can't they forget about race and just have one Mayors conference?

MRKIA 11 months, 2 weeks ago

VSU, WHAT A DUMB QUESTION. ONE MAYORS CONFERENCE FOR ALL? IT WOULD MAKE TOO MUCH SENSE.

ittybittyme 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Well put erock and sister...you write the truth!

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't have a problem with it. It's like a company having a mentoring program for women or minorities. Traditionally only white males have held executive and middle management positions, and have been privy to mentoring. This has led to unintended consequences, like unintentionally keeping the status quo. This is nothing more than a way for people to share best practices, learn from others in the same position, and develop mentor-mentee relationships.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months, 2 weeks ago

But can we agree that if a "White Mayor's Conference" could not be called and would generate World War III if it were attempted, then a "Black Mayor's Conference" should not be held? I mean just using basic logic and half the brain God gave you.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months, 2 weeks ago

You wouldn't need a conference for whites only. Did you read what I typed? So to answer your question, yes, a white only conference would be uncalled for and inappropriate in this situation.

This is why if you want a level playing field from the top of an organization down to the entry level positions, you need everyone receiving the benefit of mentoring from someone experienced. I'm not talking affirmative action. That is something much different and counter-productive, in my opinion.

VSU 11 months, 2 weeks ago

A white Mayors conference would be considered racist and discriminatory, and you darn well know it.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I know, that's why I said, "So to answer your question, yes, a white only conference would be uncalled for and inappropriate in this situation."

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months, 2 weeks ago

As beneficial as name-calling is, would you care to elaborate or speak to the topic at hand?

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months, 2 weeks ago

"naive" is a condition, not an epithet.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Sis, I am fully aware of the meaning of naive, and what constitutes name-calling. Most of us grew out of that phase in middle school. Some, unfortunately, did not.

MRKIA 11 months, 2 weeks ago

ONE THING FOR SURE, THE ALBANY HERALD PRACTICES THEIR OWN FORM OF CENSORSHIP DEPENDING ON WHOSE NAME IS MENTIONED.

Abytaxpayer 11 months, 1 week ago

LOL MRKIA and if you speak against some names you are banned to the bad boy list.....got to love this ...BS....Your content has been submitted for moderator approval ........

Ihope4albany 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I hope that all the ignorant bloggers writing in this post know how stupid it sounds. When white racists have ruined the Great American Experiment with slavery and all the other crap that came from it, Black organizations are a tiny saving grace to the atrocity against humanity.

Go to sleep...

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months, 2 weeks ago

You are living in the 150 years ago past. You fell asleep in 1850 and woke up dead.

B4it 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Ihope... does your shallow-minded rant mean we should let the black racists have their black only groups so that they can show how "atrocities against humanity" used to be?

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months, 2 weeks ago

he/she is not famous for returning to defend their ridiculous, asinine, accusatory,"I'm right/you're wrong", condescending statements. Doubt it will happen this time either.

B4it 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks Sis... I just considered it another racist viewpoint from one of the "dumb masses".

MRKIA 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I GUESS, IN RETROSPECT THERE IS NO NEED FOR ALARM; THIS ORGANIZATION AS NO MEASURABLE EFFECT ON THE GOVERNANCE OF THE CITIES. MANY ARE PURELY CEREMONIAL AS ALBANY'S IS.

erock 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Hey buddy, I've done my homework. I wouldn't spit it out there without the facts and statistics to back it up.

VietVet1 11 months, 2 weeks ago

And this my friends is Albany GA in all it's leadership glory!

FryarTuk 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I hope these folks got to eat some Riverfront BBQ and ribs. If they did they'll remember good things about us. Frankly, I think meetings like this can be good. I hope there was something other than the goose story working. I have admiration and respect for Shirley Sherrod but can't see her experience in relation to municipal issues.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I agree, that as long as there is sincere mentoring and skill building going on, this is a good thing.

Bulldawg 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Where is the conference for asian, latino, or native american mayors? I think I covered evry other group bisides white. If you want solidarity and teamwork, why not have a conference for all of the mayors in the state of Georgia? I guess that would make too much sense.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Don't forget them LBGT Mayors, yall! America's latest Protected Minority!

In fact, look out for Manchelle to be partying with Jason Collins and a huge cast of various misfits and Hollywood hangers-on any day now!! (And when She passes the plate, be sure to dig down deep on them pockets 'cause the Democrats gone need the money next election!)........except that Benghazi is 'bout to catch up with them. Prophetic Utterance!

FryarTuk 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Prophetic Utterance!

So let it be written.

VSU 11 months, 2 weeks ago

They always say, "We all need to work together" "We need unity" "We need to end racism" What a Joke!!!!

waltspecht 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Why hasn't anyone commented on the Black Congressional and Senateorial Caucus's? Thay have esisted for a long time, and as far as racial overtones go, they are a lot more damming than this group. Hasn't it been said that the NAACP is nothing more than a Black copy of the KKK without the violance?

VSU 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Maybe because this story is about the Black Mayors conference and not about the Black Congressional and Senateorial caucus's.

B4it 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Walt... it is indeed unfortunate that there are still too many who are too narrow minded, and who are too narrowly focused on past injustices to see that these groups only help perpetuate a continuence of racist attitudes. There is no need, and no place anymore for racially titled groups or schools, if we are to achieve an improved society.

Abytaxpayer 11 months, 1 week ago

So let me get this straight!

It is better for the blind to lead the blind because they are blind and can relate to other blind people. But they can't assimilate with the rest of the world because the rest of the world can see. Better to stumble and fall with a fellow blind person than to seek the help of a person who can see the road ahead. The resentment of the sighted will keep you in your darkness bitter and hating the sighted only because they have the sight you do not.

Abytaxpayer 11 months, 1 week ago

@ Fry "I have admiration and respect for Shirley Sherrod" that just proves you can fool some people all the time.....really you should try reading a book to see what the book is all about and stop listening to someone's cliff notes promotion of book just because you are too lazy to read the book.