Lee teacher jailed on drug charges

Kimela Smith Phillips

Kimela Smith Phillips

ALBANY, Ga. — A teacher with the Lee County School System was jailed Wednesday by officers of the Albany-Dougherty County Drug Unit.

Kimela Smith Phillips was arrested after being stopped for a routine traffic violation and Xanax pills were found in her possession, officials said.

Phillips was charged with violation of a Schedule IV substances under the federal Controlled Substances Act, and for possession of medication not in its proper container.

Comments

waltspecht 1 year, 4 months ago

Now is the time to show this won't be tolerated in a Public Servent. It sets an overall bad example. Remember when Female Teachers used to be dismissed for smoking, or other behavior deemed inappropriate? Teachers at one point were held to a higher standard due to their influence over their students. Time the system went back to holding all Teachers accountable. In actions, mannerisms and personal conduct.

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

Why? Because she is a white lady? I bet if she was black you would be on your usual tirade saying the newspaper was trying to destroy her and it is unfair for the herald to report the news. Go back into semi-retirement. Better yet, go into full retirement.

Amazed2 1 year, 4 months ago

All Teachers these days need Xanax just to make it thru the day. Not all but many people that birth offsprring blame teachers because their little ones can't read and do basic math etc. Blame teachers when they fail but the parents don't seem too concerned until the F is issued. Then claim the teacher should have done something. Or blame teacher cause their little ones $400 Cell phone gets taken away in class and carried to the principals office. They don't seem to get the point Cell phone are not supposed to be n school classes. Especially texting. Then you have the principals and administrators pushing teachers to pass students. Let's work with the children. Oh well what's a teacher to do? Answer "Xanax!!¡!

waltspecht 1 year, 4 months ago

As long as a Doctor agrees, then it's legal. Provided it doesn't impair them in any way.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 4 months ago

Your comment shift the blame from this teacher.

ek80 1 year, 4 months ago

It seems everything is always the teachers fault. What about all the disrespectful children. Parents need to look at their own children and how they deal with them and discipline them. How have you taught your children to act ? Look at that before you blame everything on the teachers. Teachers have to put up with way too much on a daily basis. What we need to do is encourage students to work for their grades, and ask for help when they need it instead of encouraging teachers to pass students who haven't tried. Or better yet expect teachers to give students multiple attempts to take tests. They're in for a big shock when they enter the real world.

hotdog 1 year, 4 months ago

The way we blame teachers for everything from child behavior to the economy....I don't condone it but I understand....weed and Xanax are probably teacher staples

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 4 months ago

Say no to drugs, stop shifting the blame. Should she be fired?

FryarTuk 1 year, 4 months ago

" . . . for possession of medication not in its proper container." That's a law? I have flown scores of times with mine and my wife's prescribed medications in a dispenser holding a week's administration. If she doesn't have a prescription sayonara, teach.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 4 months ago

I carry one pill bottle with quite a few prescription drugs in it, just in case I need one... they were all (well most of them ) prescribed to me, but they are not in separate pill bottles. I guess if a cop searched my purse I would be arrested too.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 4 months ago

Yes, a violation of the law doesn't discriminate.

waltspecht 1 year, 4 months ago

They sure will, it is both a Fed and State law. So no matter which side gets you, you are had. Now if you use these weekly dispensers, you better have the individual bottles properly marked and dated in your immediate possession. This applies mostly to pain relievers and such. I forget the exact classification. It applies to other drugs as a means of identification.

prettygirl 1 year, 4 months ago

In all fairness to this individual, if they have a prescription for the medication I understand not carring the entire bottle in her purse. Rx's can be very expensive with and without an insurance drug plan and I would not want my purse stolen nor the Rx. Rx's of this type cannot be refilled or replaced on most insurance plans if lost or stolen.

DoctorDorite 1 year, 4 months ago

Its my understanding that she is/was an aide, not a classroom teacher. Either way she's done for in education, rightfully so.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 4 months ago

She work with young children...........

Citizen1 1 year, 4 months ago

She is a Lee County teacher! Where are all of the negative comments?

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 4 months ago

The negative comments should not be welcome.

badheavychevy 1 year, 4 months ago

Wow, I cant believe the herald posted this story....Its like Fox News saying something nice about Obama........

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

I see where bubbasmith is using his badheavychevy name again.

Thurman 1 year, 4 months ago

From my own personal experience: YES, it is illegal in Georgia to have certain medications on your person or in your vehicle that are NOT in their original pharmacy/Doctor issued container(s). You will be arrested for this crime, taken to jail, you will remain in jail with NO bail until the pills are properly identified. Even a note from your Doctor stating that these were duly prescribed will not help in this type case. In court the judge will lecture you about "transporting medications not in their original container with proper labeling". The fine is heavy, really heavy. Ask me how I know about this.

Amazed2 1 year, 4 months ago

You would be surprised but maybe not just how many teachers have to take medications. Most of those teachers have legit prescriptions. I bet most of you would be on meds if you had to deal with 25 to 35 kids per class all day long then deal with the parents of some of them in the late afternoon and evening. Seems the teacher is the blame for little Johnny or Jane failing or getting a Zero for not doing homework or a report. Then the parent rather than discipline or spank the kid wants to go after the teacher and start calling assistant principals and principals to try and get it changed or to give the kid another week to do a report that he already had a month to do. That's why a bunch of teachers even yesy at Lee County have to take something for their nerves. Teachers really only make about $9 to $12 hour when you figure all the after school and evening work grading papers and work assignmes etc. Not a high paying job for all the hezdac

erock 1 year, 4 months ago

Pay attention DCSS, you're about to get a lesson.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 4 months ago

All systems have challenges, stop singling out the black ones.

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

You are singling out the white ones.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 4 months ago

Fair commenting? Do the math, the commenters are bias. This lady as well as others, who are arrested deserves dignity.

Fair reporting - remember who pay the bill, treat everyone the same.

God Bless!

Amazed2 1 year, 4 months ago

Don't get me wrong on this deal I think any teacher found to be doing drugs both illegal and so called legal drums without prescrition should be terminated. Just wanted to point out most all teachers are under lots of pressure from parents and the admin. Kind of like being in a vice. And that's not including dealing with a couple hundred children to young adults each day. All school systems all teaches , pink, blue, brown, black, tan or white included!!!

spookj6 1 year, 4 months ago

Uh Oh, Albany's finest where are U I don't see no thug, gangbanging, welfare recipient comments now, is it because she one of yall, or because it's mighty Lee County. I see a lot of shady comments unlike yall post about others. She'snot the only one more of yall are going down. I hope they continue to post picture, because when you throw dirt some is soon to get on you. What's done in the dark will come to the light.

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

Another worthless, stupid idiotic comment brought to you by idiotj6.

At least she is not out there robbing, stealing and shooting people in drive bys like one of yall's.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 4 months ago

lol......good point spookj6!!!! get em!!!

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

and yet another stupid comment from bubbasmith.

chinaberry25 1 year, 4 months ago

I have a different take on this than all of you. One time I took a short cut thru a drug infested area, now. I was stopped by APD and told not to come that way again.I was not there to buy drugs. But they were perfect gentleman. I was not taken out of my car and searched. Her traffic violation was most likely failing to use her right turn signal. They did this to a Florida woman and she went to jail for a small amount of marijauna. Now her life is ruined. A good lawyer will have the case thrown out in a minute and should. The Leesburg police are as bad as the KGB and I try to avoid the area as much as I can. Pickup the Lee Ledger and see the fines for minor violations. I side with this teacher and I do hope she can survive this.

sisters3 1 year, 4 months ago

I hope the pills are truly hers and she just had them in another bottle. I have seen a lot of people do this. Instead of having 3 - 4 bottles, put them in one. I guess those people need to stop doing that. I know this person and she is an extremely nice lady so I'm hoping the pills were prescribed to her and she just didn't have them in the correct bottle.

Doc15 1 year, 4 months ago

Finally Lee County instead of Dougherty County.

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

But don't worry Dougherty still has the lead over Lee County by a huge margin.

badheavychevy 1 year, 4 months ago

Thanks to Bubbasmithredneck, this story finally got posted by the A-H...Good job Bubba!!! You did it......Bubba is the one who first broke this story with a link in older education post the other day. I know the editor hated to do it......but he had to be fair for once.....GO BUBBA!!

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

you are bubbasmithredneck, I see you are talking to yourself and patting yourself on the back again. What a moron.

LCparent 1 year, 4 months ago

Teacher was pulled over by the drug unit after going to a known drug house. That sounds pretty guilty to me.

To those who poke fun, I hope you realize that drugs are everywhere, even in Lee County. They are in Deerfield also, so I hope you don't get shocked by that. When things like this happen, I look to see how the school system deals with it. I'll bet this teacher doesn't return to a Lee County classroom - can't say I'd think the same about other places.

gladileftalbany 1 year, 4 months ago

Deerfield has the worst drug problems,trust me. I went there back in the 90's. these kids have the money to buy pot,shrooms,coke or whatever.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 4 months ago

If she has a problem with these types of pills I sincerely hope she seeks professional help.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 4 months ago

I bet she was mad when she got arrested......"I am from Lee County, you cant do this to me!!" hahahahaha......