Deceased bank robbery suspect was DCSS sub

ALBANY, Ga. -- A woman who was suspected in a string of armed robberies on Friday, including a stickup of the Bank of Pavo, has been identified as Mary Louise Daniels, a longtime substitute teacher for the Dougherty County School System.

Daniels, 54, died Saturday morning after overturning her vehicle in a canal off Ga. Highway 188 while attempting to outrun pursuit by the Coolidge Police Department and Thomas County Sheriff's Office.

She was a suspect in the early afternoon attempted robbery of Carroll's Package Store in Thomasville. The store clerk, foiled the robbery and the would-be bandit fled the scene in Black Toyota Camry with no tag.

Shortly afterward, the Bank of Pavo was held up when a masked woman handed a teller a note and fled with an undetermined amount of cash.

Coolidge police later spotted a vehicle matching the description and gave pursuit, joined later by Thomas sheriff's deputies. Daniels eventually crashed into the canal and the vehicle landed upside down in waist-deep water

Officers physically turned the vehicle upright and extracted Daniels, who was unresponsive. She was transported by EMS to Archbold Memorial Hospital in Thomasville, where she died early Saturday morning.

A source within the Dougherty School System said Daniels had been a substitute at Merry Acres Middle School since 2007, but had not taught classes at the school since February.

An autopsy has been scheduled. Thomas Sheriff's Office spokesman Capt. Steven Jones said Monday his office was awaiting the results.

Comments

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 6 months ago

SAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY WWWWHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?????????????

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 6 months ago

What was she driving? Lemme guess...............

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 6 months ago

The article said a black Toyota Camery.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 6 months ago

And I am not trying to be a smarta#@& this time about it.

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 6 months ago

That was just her work car. I'm talking about the one she drove to church on Sunday.

erock 1 year, 6 months ago

One more more bad apple removed from the DCSS. I'm not particularly interested in how they leave, just as long as they do. We won big this time, won't have to pay unemployment, nor pay her room and board in the big house. Oh yeah, and no court appointed lawyer.

hotdog 1 year, 6 months ago

I am almost to the point anythingremotely negative regarding DCSS will be reported....now dont get me wrong the CRCT scandal is atrocious.....lets report

Amazed2 1 year, 6 months ago

Maybe she has the actual Xanax prescription!!! Got to be careful taking those Xanax pills and playing Bonnie and Clyde. Oops she forgot to wait on Clyde. Lesson learned don't try to outrun the Po Pro while under the influence of craziness.

DoctorDorite 1 year, 6 months ago

LOL, I hope they were checking for hitch-hikers looking for a ride back to Albany, I don't believe she did this spree alone without Clyde..

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 6 months ago

Finally Justice swiftly served.

waltspecht 1 year, 6 months ago

Unfortunately this women was probably drug dependant, and couldn't support the habit. Whether it was due to illegal drugs, or prescription drugs it is a tragity to someone. Then again she could have a hundred other reasons for the need for funds without earning them. Either way, she paid the price. If she was a Sub, wonder who her contact was, as according to prior posts you have to know someone within the system to get a Sub job.

Amazed2 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh I'm sure she had contacts downtown in the admin office. Be interesting to know who her contact was?? Maybe they are gone now or retiring g soon??

RedEric 1 year, 6 months ago

Ya gotta admit that is a pretty unique part time job.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 6 months ago

I wonder why she chose Thomas County?

Doc15 1 year, 6 months ago

Who cares if she was a substitute for the Dougherty County School System?! You people have nothing better to talk about. Everyone is one decision away from being a criminal. Let's focus on the what she did and not where she worked. Obviously, she wasn't good at running from the police.

TRUTH101 1 year, 6 months ago

EXACTLY!!!!! Cant wait for the headlines to read "Bank Robbery Suspect Works at Subway" or "Criminal Works at P&G"

VSU 1 year, 6 months ago

You may have a long wait. Most of the criminals here are either on welfare or works for the DCSS.

Doc15 1 year, 6 months ago

Or most of the criminals are local politicians, work for private schools, or stay in Northwest Albany.

VSU 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah, Politicians like Postel, Pike, Bishop and people who live (not stay) in South Albany, East Albany, North Albany. Most of the criminals that live (Not stay) in Northwest Albany are your everyday thugs that used to live in South Albany or East Albany.

Doc15 1 year, 6 months ago

Politicians like Ealum (who does not stay in Dougherty County), Tommy Coleman (who practically runs the DCSS and works for surrounding counties while working for DCSS).

Sally_O 1 year, 6 months ago

The correct wording is (who does not live in Dougherty County, not, does not stay in Dougherty County). It's easy to see you are a product of the lower half of the DCSS. I pray you are not a real doctor.

Sally_O 1 year, 6 months ago

Yes Sir, crooked politicians with the Pied Piker leading the pack, and Yes Sir there are criminbals in NW Albany and I wish they would move back to East Albany or South Albany where they came from.

agirl_25 1 year, 6 months ago

How about at the Marine Base? I wonder why there isn't more news about Mr. Whitman, the supposedly Mr. A. in the most recent white collar crime at the MCLB. Inquiring minds want to know.

VSU 1 year, 6 months ago

They had a story about it the other day. I didn't read it though.

agirl_25 1 year, 6 months ago

I even checked WALB and didn't find a follow up. I want to know if he was arrested, if he had bail set and if his assets were seized. I also want to know which judge he will go in front of. If it is Sands I guess he can forget about any jail time, low or no bail and he will be smiling and having a good life like all the other white collars that went before him.

Jacob 1 year, 6 months ago

which white collars are smiling and why are they?

whattheheck 1 year, 6 months ago

Or "Marine Base Criminals Take Paychecks Under False Pretenses"..

gotanyfacts 1 year, 6 months ago

Doc and 101... people are more concerned with who works around our students than who makes their sandwiches at Subway. That gives the information greater significance and newsworthiness. The fact that she substituted in the DCSS should not by itself reflect on the system, school substitutes, or people who drive black Camrys.

carter1971 1 year, 6 months ago

OMG....RIP Ms.Daniels. She was my long term substitute at Westover this year in Mrs.Jones class. I can't believe this. I'm totally shocked that she did not practice what she was preaching to us.#SOSAD

spookj6 1 year, 6 months ago

It's mighty funny how all the negative DCSS news find it way to, but not to many people know about the 4 teachers in Lee County with rape or molesting charges.

VSU 1 year, 6 months ago

Funny how you always come in here making stupid comments all the time.

gotanyfacts 1 year, 6 months ago

Please share what facts you have!

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 6 months ago

I have an email into him now ...

GG126 1 year, 6 months ago

While you are at, Terry, please check out the recently hired AP at Monroe. He was allegedly escorted out of Tift Co. High School and terminated. How did he end up at DCSS?

Doc15 1 year, 6 months ago

Hmmm....interesting GG126. It appears that Butch is bringing his people in that were misfits in other school systems. What I see happening is that Butch will bring his people in to fill the vacant positions then he will pack up his bags at the end of the year to head back into retirement. Some kind of "Sheriff."

VSU 1 year, 6 months ago

Better than that piece of crap that was in there before.

gotanyfacts 1 year, 6 months ago

Doc and GG... I'm trying to connect the dots. I can not find the name of the new AP GG refers to. Also, Doc, you refer to Butch's "people". I see no connection to Tift County in Mosley's background. What is his connection to the new AP? GG, how confident are you in the allegation?

gotanyfacts 1 year, 6 months ago

Terry, Spookj6 and GG have repeated some allegations but do not appear to want to provide info in the thread. I can not even find anything reporting on the new AP hire GG refers to. Who is it? Do we have commenters who should be recognized as reasonable or merely fire starters?

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 6 months ago

The AP at Monroe is former Tift County Principal Ryan Gravitt. He left Tifton under unclear circumstances. There are rumors in regard to his departure. I looked hard and could find no info that confirms those rumors.
If spook has info into his allegations at Lee Co., then I'd love to know the names.
And I think BR's posts speak for themselves.

VSU 1 year, 6 months ago

My bet is there is no facts, just someone blowing smoke from that weed they are smoking.

Jacob 1 year, 6 months ago

She is dead. Be careful how much you rejoice. Karma is a monster, and you all have sisters, daughters, and mothers. Of course, if you are without sin, carry on with your glee.

chinaberry25 1 year, 6 months ago

Subs are not entitled to unemployment even if they are fired.

chinaberry25 1 year, 6 months ago

Walt, you are so wrong about a sub position. All you have to do is meet the requirements, pass a background check and they will open loving arms to you. They are desperate for subs. You must be thinking of Lee Co. I have heard that is true for them.

gotanyfacts 1 year, 6 months ago

Getting a good corps of subs is pretty much impossible everywhere. After thirty pus years as a teacher, the mere thought of doing sub work gives me cold sweats. Going into different classrooms where different teachers have set different patterns and expectations is a real challenge. Very few have the qualities to handle such a chore. I admire those who did and sympathize with those who, in spite of their best efforts, just hung in there. Then there were those that had no clue but did have a pulse. Bless their little hearts.

beenhereawhile 1 year, 6 months ago

Substitute teachers get paid $7.31 in Dougherty County, it goes up to $9.56 for long term (more than 3 weeks). Minimum wage is $7.25.

It is a sucky job.

Disgusted2 1 year, 6 months ago

It's so sad because she was my classmate and a VET. I am not sure what made her do this but, when you serve your country and the only job you can get is a sub job says a lot. I really didn't see this type of behavior in her.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 6 months ago

I didnt even have to look at who the editor was of this story was.....that was easy based on the headlines....."Terry The Terrible"

gotanyfacts 1 year, 6 months ago

No need to brag. Your intellect is well known.

LashLarkin 1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks, Terry, and The Albany Herald for following up on this story and giving us the human side of the woman with the innocent name - Mary Daniels - who came to such a tragic end. It's very sad and my sympathy goes out to the friends, relatives and former students who knew her.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 6 months ago

another awful story by Terry the Terrible....

VSU 1 year, 6 months ago

Another stupid comment from blubbersmith.

Jax 1 year, 6 months ago

I know, bubba. How dare he write this story! What kind of person, uh...does his job?!