Squawk of the day - May 14, 2013

"Inmates at the Terrell County Jail have to pay for their necessities because it is not a hotel. They should also have to pay for their board and keep. Only people on welfare like you think that it should be free and we should pay it. It is a jail and no one put them in there other than themselves."

Comments

erock 11 months, 1 week ago

I like the way you think squawker. At least 30 percent of their commissary doesn't seem unreasonable. If they don't want to pay it that's fine, they just won't have any money on their books. Maybe when it's them that's being extorted instead of the other way around, perhaps they won't do it when they get out.

VSU 11 months, 1 week ago

Just feed them peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and water.

Abytaxpayer 11 months, 1 week ago

VSU sounds great but you know some low life lawyer will claim it is cruel punishment. If they don't want "Cruel" punishment they should stay out of jail!!!!!!

VSU 11 months, 1 week ago

Maybe, but if they want a good meal, stay out of jail, get a job and eat a meal off the menu till their hearts content.

whattheheck 11 months, 1 week ago

Sheriff Joe Arpaio in AZ feeds his inmates loney meat sandwiches and makes them sleep in tents and wear pink. Courts have not changed how he operates. I would think the recidivism rate in his county is negligible.

VSU 11 months, 1 week ago

Balogna sandwickes are a step up from a P.B. & J sandwich. At least it is meat.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months, 1 week ago

From what I understand, a PB&J would be a step up from the slop they receive on a daily basis.

erock 11 months, 1 week ago

and what's wrong with that?

oldster 11 months, 1 week ago

Or, VSU, like the old song says; "Hot baloney and gravy."

VSU 11 months, 1 week ago

I like Hot baloney sandwiches, never tried it with gravy though.

agirl_25 11 months, 1 week ago

Ohhh a big old slab of bologna fried in butter, more butter slathered on two pieces of white bread...yummmmm.. fine dining never gets any better than that. A way to any woman's heart.

Abytaxpayer 11 months, 1 week ago

Yea @ Ms A................ Fried is the way to go......yummmmm

waltspecht 11 months, 1 week ago

When they did the crime, they knew the consequences. Their choice, not ours. Now you say they have to be accomodated in relative comfort by us because we are the ones detaining them. I feel everything possible to discourage a return to Prison should be persued. From the amount of crime in the US, our prisons obviously aren't doing their jobs.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months, 1 week ago

Squawker specifically wrote "jail" and not "prison." I assume YOU know the difference, Walt.

waltspecht 11 months, 1 week ago

Point of order, many of our Jails house convicted prisoners awaiting transfer to State Prisons. So I feel the two are interchangable. This isn't Japan, where many years ago people actually had enough truth and dignity that they pled guilty and served their time, never claiming innosence.. Here, almost every prisoner is innocent, 100% and their Momma will swear to it.

Amazed2 11 months, 1 week ago

Last yerar I spent 6 weeks working in a island country called St. Kitts. Beautiful place and not a big tourist stop. Most locals are poor but not like Hatti. I was told that if people get locked up in jail their family has to bring food otherwise the person gets bread and water. We should have that policy here in the jail system.

waltspecht 11 months, 1 week ago

That is the way it used to be in Spain, might still be. I know a few Sailors stationed there at Rhoda that got some really nice hand carved furniture and outstanding leatherwork at the prison near Barsolona. The price was extremely reasonable, and the prisoners used the money to buy food. They would even take orders for future projects. I remember one gun cabinet with carved boars on the doors and solid oak construction, it was beautiful. If they couldn't afford their own food, and didn't have family to bring food, the other prospect was very uninviting.

rock 11 months, 1 week ago

Rota and Barcelona Spain!!!!

RedEric 11 months, 1 week ago

I read an article where a father whose son was beginning to idolize the drug dealers for their flamboyant lifestyle. He wanted convicted criminals to be seen cleaning the streets while wearing ugly uniforms to show his son the consequences of crime. Made sense to me.

fcarroll 11 months, 1 week ago

If the time in the mini bars motel fit the crime there would not be as many return offenders. The inmates in the W.O, Jail wear pink jump suits, how sweet is that. It can't be all that bad on the inside, too many people are trying to break into the jails and prisons.

oldster 11 months, 1 week ago

Many years ago when I used to be a liberal, while in the break room at work I made the comment that I sure felt sorry for those people in jail. One of my older co workers replied with some excellent country wisdom; "I wouldn't go feeling too sorry for them, they generally don't lock people up for singing too loud in church." I have always remembered his friendly remark.

agirl_25 11 months, 1 week ago

You do have a way with words, oldster. Very good!!

ZCorp 11 months, 1 week ago

There was a financial paper or blog recently, I forget which one, not trying to dampen spirits here, but they said " AKA Welfare " may be Greatly Reduced by the Year 2020 ! Imagine that ? People will have to work for a living. Just the simple fact their are more people on assistance, then their are taxpayers. Look it up.

VSU 11 months, 1 week ago

By that time it may be too late.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months, 1 week ago

You guys do realize there is a big difference between prison and jail, right? People who are suspected of doing something wind up in jail, alongside those who have been convicted of relatively minor crimes. The "big kids" are in prison. Those who got caught with pot are in jail, while those who molest children are in prison.

There are plenty of stories where innocent people spend an extended period of time in jail waiting for a trial. Don't feed me that, "if they didn't want to be locked up then they shouldn't have done anything wrong, crap." Yes, most of the people who find themselves incarcerated are guilty of committing the crimes in which they are charged, but not all are fortunate enough to have justice.

To compare our prison or jail system to that of third world countries is asinine. I currently know someone who is going through the justice system and is 100% innocent, however he spent an extended period of time incarcerated. It makes me a little angry when the ignorant let the facts get in the way of the content of their comments.

Brother_Love 11 months, 1 week ago

That someone you know is guilty, if he didn't do anything wrong he wouldn't got arrested in the first place. He got to pay for his sins just like anybody else. They all says they didn't do it, but they did it. They didn't get arrested for kissing babies and helping little old ladies cross the street.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months, 1 week ago

Seeing as how neither I nor anyone else place any value in your ramblings, I couldn't care less about your ignorant opinion.

sad_for_albany 11 months, 1 week ago

Sherwood, you are correct, there are a few, a VERY few, who are innocent of the crimes for which they are accused. Having said that, Jail, prison, whatever you want to call it should be the LAST place you would ever want to visit. When we have career criminals that don't worry about jail, our jails are doing something wrong. There should be no cable TV or any other "comfort" items. Just a cell, 3 hots and a cot.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months, 1 week ago

You make some good points, SFA. I would rather inmates work than be locked up 22 hours a day. If they are going to be locked up for that long then they need a tv.

Outtahere 11 months, 1 week ago

Man, ya'll are a judgmental bunch! No compassion AT ALL!! Jesus loved the unlovable and had compassion for all people! Shouldn't we be more like him?

erudite 11 months, 1 week ago

Incarceration is a great way to keep them from the polls. The incarcerated cannot vote until completely clear of all probation and parole. They automatically get the right back but they have to re-register.